ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Information About Factory Cast on Beretta 20 Gauge 686
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am 
Field Grade

I am considering replacing one of my seldom used Browning shotguns with a 20 gauge Beretta, primarily for sporting clays and skeet.

Because of LOP and height of eye issues, I am focused right now on a Silver Pigeon I, Vittoria, Sporting (Beretta model J686SK0V). I cannot find one in stock to examine but my local dealer can order one for me. I am left handed and concerned about RH cast that is built in to a gun straight from the factory and am hoping that someone can help me out with some information.

I have a field grade SP I in 28 ga that is neutral or nearly so and if this gun has the same cast, I would feel comfortable ordering one. I am not sure if this gun is built on a true 20 gauge stock (dealer is trying to find out), but if it is, the stock is too small for an aftermarket adjustable cheek piece, according to both my gunsmith and Coles.

The gun is also available in a standard left handed version but I am leery of the lower non-Vittoria comb, especially if I cannot install an adjustable cheek piece.

Many thanks for your insights.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Post subject: Re: Need Information About Factory Cast on Beretta 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:13 pm 
Field Grade

I found several threads on this site about the cast on 686 stocks. Here is a link to one that makes me nervous:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=277168

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:34 pm 
Field Grade

Just spoke with Beretta. All 686 guns have a 3 degree cast off for right handed shooters, including my28 gauge, which feels essentially neutral to me. I have no trouble getting my eye over the rib on that gun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:53 pm 
Limited Edition

I would get a left-handed, cast-on 686 if I were you. Here's one

https://www.gunsamerica.com/997369076/B ... -28-LH.htm

Why are you trying to make a right handed gun work instead of buying a left-handed one?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:06 pm 
Field Grade

MNGunner wrote:
I would get a left-handed, cast-on 686 if I were you. Here's one

https://www.gunsamerica.com/997369076/B ... -28-LH.htm

Thanks. I understand the issue and certainly went that way with my principal gun, a 12 ga. CG Summit Compact, but that also highlights the problem. I need the extra comb height of guns like mine and the Vittoria and I am having a hard time finding it in a LH 20 gauge. Even if I wanted to add an adjustable comb on a field gun, which I don't want to do, these smaller Beretta stocks will not take one.

I am about ready to get a 20 ga. semi and use the shims. Still, I prefer the simplicity and safety of an over/under in the field.

I appreciate your reply.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:09 pm 
Utility Grade

My 687 SP III which is advertised as "right Hand" has absolutely zero cast. Of course the 687 is nothing other than a somewhat gussied up 686. Individual guns of course will vary. I shoot from left side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:54 pm 
Utility Grade

My 687 SP III which is advertised as "right Hand" has absolutely zero cast. Of course the 687 is nothing other than a somewhat gussied up 686. Individual guns of course will vary. I shoot from left side.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Left handlers need to be careful with most Berettas and a few Brownings regarding cast. Either inspect the gun yourself or have a experienced gun seller inspect the gun for cast.

I think Etchen sells Berettas with left handed cast.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:48 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot left handed and I have always found Berettas and most Italian target O/U to have quite a bit of cast off (right handed). If I was buying a Beretta O/U I would buy a left handed model. On the other hand I have found Brownings to be quite neutral but I haven't bought one since the 425 series.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:04 pm 
Field Grade

I’ve seen at Cole’s 680 series guns for lefties.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:12 pm 
Field Grade

I have two Beretta 686's. One is a 28ga White Onyx. It has a definite cast off for right handed shooters, visible when looking down on the stock. The 2nd is SPIII, 2 bbl set, 20 and 28ga. It's stock is "neutral" with no visible cast. Talk to Cole's in Maine. They are, in my humble opinion, the most knowledgeable Beretta folks in the U.S. They also are stock fitters and gunsmiths, and they are really nice folks. If they can help you, they will.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I second Powderhorn Jim's comment.

One of the many things that Rick Cole's shop did was to swap out factory wood for upgraded wood or different dimension buttstocks made to the customer's order. So Cole's often had a supply of "take off" factory stocks for 680 series Berettas. They might just have a left handed cast buttstock from the 680 series. Comb height is a different issue however.

I have 5 686 guns now in various gauges and most have some right handed cast to them, from barely noticeable at the toe to perhaps 1/4 inch max on an older 1992 gun.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:02 pm 
Field Grade

The problem with fitting an adjustable comb on a Beretta Field stock isn't than they are too small, it's the giant cavity within the stock. A cavity that can be filled with an hand made insert. A bit of hand shaped Walnut epoxied into the did the job. Note, I intentionally dropped the mounting hole a bit because on the Sporting stocks the hole is high enough to weaken the support area for the comb kit a bit. The Sporting stocks don't have any cavity at all, just a hole for the mounting screw.

Then, if you are working with a NOS stock for a 687 EL there is a matter of filling in the inletting for sideplates. Then a bit of Burl Veneer was used to cover up the fill in job.

Once that is all in place it was they a simple manner of applying a touch of stain and finishing the stock with many many layers of True Oil.

Must say I am quite pleased with the results, this stock looks lovely on my 686 Silver Pigeon I. Note, purchased the stock from MGW and it is old enough that it was a fully hand checkered stock. I'll also note that a member at my club will do this complete job for 300 dollars. Hindsight says I would have been wise to let Lou do mine but I happen to enjoy working with wood. As for your cast question the Silver Pigeon stocks typically have very little cast as do the Field models. However if you get into the high end Sporters the cast is rather large, I purchased another adjustable comb stock from MGW for my 12 gauge for a 682 Gold E and it has a nice palm swell and a rather large cast of somewhere in the range of 3/4 inch or bit more.