ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tubing your o/u
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

JoeCool wrote:
I did not see anything in the OP about wanting to shoot competition.
Maybe he does, but it was not stated.

The OP stated it clearly in his second post; you must have overlooked it. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drawdc wrote:
I have never seen a league that would allow you to shoot a non standard load in sub gauge competition. I shot in a league for years that ended the season with 410. Not surprisingly, you actually had to shoot a 410. I guess there are always exceptions.

Does he want to shoot subgauges in a 12ga event, or does he want to shoot subgauge events? Again, still unclear.

"Matter of fact they shoot their 28 gauge tubes most of the time because of lack of recoil and for the challenge but..most of them are shooting Perazzi and Kolars."

In my mind, that equates to them shoot 28ga in larger gauge events, since it's obviously no additional challenge to shoot 28ga in a 28ga event...

To recap, unless OP is shooting in a situation that REQUIRES subgauge ammunition be used (such as NSSA, or a league subgauge event), he can get the same result shooting reduced 12ga loads if he simply wants "lack of recoil and for the challenge". If he's shooting all-bore events, he doesn't need subgauge tubes or subgauge shells.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Not sure what's unclear:

'Thanks. Yeah it would be for competition. To shoot sub gauge skeet. Lots to consider. I do load my skeet loads with 7/8 oz and light powder charges so I don’t feel the recoil so much but can’t compete in the sub gauge class.'

He wants a tube set to compete.

Tube it, weight the butt stock so it's not barrel / front heavy and out of balance. Shoot 20 ga in the 12 ga events. You'll be fine.

One of Many

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:06 pm 
Crown Grade

loneranger wrote:
Thanks. Yeah it would be for competition. To shoot sub gauge skeet. Lots to consider. I do load my skeet loads with 7/8 oz and light powder charges so I don’t feel the recoil so much but can’t compete in the sub gauge class.

JoeCool, there you go.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

To clear things up I’d like to shoot our state skeet championship in all of the sub gauge classes. I have looked for some guns for sale that includes tube sets and just missed a really good deal at Coles but I’ve also thought about buying a couple of a400s in 20 and 28 gauge but would want to shoot one first. Looks like it’d cost me $2000 to tube by the time I have the trigger work done and I was concerned if the CX was durable enough to spend that much money tubing it. Looks like the best way to go at this point. I like the gun and then I’d still have enough money left to buy a 20 and 28 gauge roloader. Thanks for the replies. Helps me feel more confident that I should tube it. Just for everyone’s information I have went the small gauge shotgun route but didn’t really like 20 and 28 gauge O/U frame guns. I DID shoot a 12 gauge tubes to 28 and was pleased with the recoil and I do load my 12 gauge down to 7/8 oz light loads and really like the low recoil of the light loads.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like I said, look for a gun that's already been tubed. Not difficult to find a decent 28" o/u WITH tubes for $2k or less.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gentlemen,

IMO it all depends on the quality of the gun and what you want to use the gun for. Briley fully sleeved one of my Great-Grandfathers Special order #2 L.C. Smith 20 gauge double guns after it was stolen, and did a great high quality job of turning a gun with fine Damascus 20 gauge barrels, into a real nice 28 gauge double gun, for hunting Grouse and Woodcock, along with shooting Sporting Clays. Although I could have rung the old mans neck who modified an original Special Order L.C. Smith 20 gauge gun, I have come to appreciate bird hunting with the sleeved 28 gauge. If you are going to modify a fine gun in this manner, remember you can not remove the full sleeves, without destroying the original barrels.
Briley did a great job with the full Chrome lined sleeves, turning this 20 gauge gun into a very serious one of a kind 28.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1898 L.C. Smith #2, 20 gauge gun, permanently sleeved by Briley for 28 gauge.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
JoeCool wrote:
I did not see anything in the OP about wanting to shoot competition.
Maybe he does, but it was not stated.

The OP stated it clearly in his second post; you must have overlooked it. :D

Okay, that is always possible, it pays to be updated.
So if competition is your cup of tea, and you hate keeping life simple, then buy some tubes, buy some loaders, keep everything running, and compete. Your reward will be unending riches, fame, more sex than you are able to handle, occasional appearances on Dr Phil, and an interview by Wolf Blitzer asking you to condemn guns. Fame does have it's price. Of course you may compete for a while and ask yourself, is this really advancing my life circumstance that much? If you own a tube set, the answer to that will without any doubt be, YES, I have arrived, I have a tube set.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Actually happened. The OP said it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joe--most people who compete do so to fulfill the urge to compete.

It is wrong to put them down and try to ridicule them.

No shooter who has actually competed thinks they are doing it for riches. On the other hand , once you make Master class , you do get a supermodel groupie to grant your every wish.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

sera wrote:
Joe--most people who compete do so to fulfill the urge to compete.

It is wrong to put them down and try to ridicule them.

No shooter who has actually competed thinks they are doing it for riches. On the other hand , once you make Master class , you do get a supermodel groupie to grant your every wish.

Okay, chastisement noted, I promise to be a good boy from now on. I have actually competed some years ago, not really sure why I did, but I did manage to win some, but I never did find it that rewarding. I did have a bit of bourbon before that post, I was just having fun, maybe I was just making conversation to compete, verbally, some people do that to fulfill an urge, especially after a double shot. Since I was just doing it to fulfill an urge to compete, verbally, I guess you won't hold it against me. Anyway, I'll try to be good from now on, really.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

I’ve always been competitive in shooting sports. I SHOULD say I have always competed. I was pretty good pistol and rifle shooter but I’ve never been a good shotgun shooter. I loved 3 gun and long range rifle shooting but both have become a physical and fast paced game. I’m getting older and wanted to take up a sport that I could continue meeting like thinking people and developing friendships. Clay sports are a great way to go and while I’ll never be a great shotgun shooter I can still enjoy the different games and classes whilst enjoying new and old friendships.

So I made up my mind on tubes. I ordered a 4 barrel Browning Citori set. Ha ha. Long ways from a tube set.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:51 am 
Tournament Grade

loneranger wrote:
I’ve always been competitive in shooting sports. I SHOULD say I have always competed. I was pretty good pistol and rifle shooter but I’ve never been a good shotgun shooter. I loved 3 gun and long range rifle shooting but both have become a physical and fast paced game. I’m getting older and wanted to take up a sport that I could continue meeting like thinking people and developing friendships. Clay sports are a great way to go and while I’ll never be a great shotgun shooter I can still enjoy the different games and classes whilst enjoying new and old friendships.

So I made up my mind on tubes. I ordered a 4 barrel Browning Citori set. Ha ha. Long ways from a tube set.

Congrats on your new gun. You are now ready for the State Skeet shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:21 pm 
Field Grade

If I were to do it again, tube an over/ under I would only get the .410 and 28 gauge tubes. You don't need the 20s, assuming you reload the 28s. Most skeet shooters have an average with the 28 as good or better than the 20.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 pm 
Field Grade

JoeCool wrote:
The only reason I can see for tubing the gun would be
to compete, and I really see no reason to compete.
Why would you want to do the same thing over and
over with 4 different gauges? Why would you want
the expense of buying that sub gauge ammo, or the
expense of a whole mess of loaders and components?
Why all the powder, wads, etc just to do the same
thing over and over with 4 different classes?

As long as you are not competing, you can just
use one loader, and load 3/4 or 7/8 ounce in your
12 gauge, and shoot lots of low recoil skeet.
So you can get the low recoil and cheap ammo
and avoid a mountain of complexity to do the same
thing with a tube set and room full of loaders.

Try shooting Skeet with 410 sometime. Do it enough and you'll come to understand why people do it. At my Club the phrase for a miss isn't "lost bird", it's "410". Because it is very very easy to miss with a 410. The point of shooting the 410 is because it will force you to become a better shot. As for the 28, many shooters believe that the 28 gauge is the finest patterning caliber in common use. Now, I'm not good enough to really make a judgement on that but the two best shooters at our club are AA shooters in 28 gauge.

Then there is the matter of Cost. The least expensive caliber to load is the 410. Using 1/2 ounce of #9 is a real penny pincher as is the lighter powder charge needed for that tiny pinch of shot. Basically shooting 410 works out to be 1.50 per box cheaper. Shoot 10 rounds of skeet and that's 15 dollar saving.