ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dry lubricant ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:07 am 
Tournament Grade

Who makes a dry lube besides "Hornady 1 shot" ?
I am going to my LGS today to buy some, & if they don't have the Hornady, then I need to know about another brand.
This will be primarily for lubing my 1100 magazine tube.

Thanks in advance !!!

Post subject: Re: Dry lubricant ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Remington used to make a nice dry lube that went on white.
anymore I just use 'camp dry' it's a silicone spray for tents and such, but does a nice job where you want a dry lubricant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:56 am 
Crown Grade

One can buy powdered teflon; I have also used spray silicone and let it dry.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

Flitz liquid polish....rub it on and buff it off.......clean, dry, and slick.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Is there a reason you prefer to run your 1100 dry?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree as the OP has stated that for the inside of the magazine tube, a "dry" lubricant is best as it does not then attract detritus from shells that may have been dropped, etc. I have routinely used Hornady One Shot but now have switched to "Lock Dry Lube" made by 3-IN-ONE.

It is a non tacky lubricant and seems to work perfectly inside a magazine tube. It is not hard to find in Lowes or Home Depot stores and unlike One Shot, is not expensive . See below.

https://www.3inone.com/products/lock-dry-lube/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Check the bicycle shops. They carry liquids that support micro solid lubes that dry.
Probably for bike chains, gears and shifters.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

oyeme wrote:
I agree as the OP has stated that for the inside of the magazine tube, a "dry" lubricant is best as it does not then attract detritus from shells that may have been dropped, etc. I have routinely used Hornady One Shot but now have switched to "Lock Dry Lube" made by 3-IN-ONE.

It is a non tacky lubricant and seems to work perfectly inside a magazine tube. It is not hard to find in Lowes or Home Depot stores and unlike One Shot, is not expensive . See below.

Can I ask where it says for the "inside" of the magazine tube?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I want to lube the outside of the magazine tube, NOT the inside.
I don't like to run an autoloader wet because the powder residue tends to "cake" & I don't want any jambs or FTF's while shooting 100 rounds of sporting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:09 pm 
Crown Grade

When I use dry lube, I use Otis Dry Lube. Outside of mag tube I just wipe down with an oily rag. I've never lubed the inside of a mag tube in my life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:57 pm 
Crown Grade

noweil wrote:
oyeme wrote:

Can I ask where it says for the "inside" of the magazine tube?

My mistake. Disregard my post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

johnnie g wrote:
I don't like to run an autoloader wet because the powder residue tends to "cake" & I don't want any jambs or FTF's while shooting 100 rounds of sporting.

I do not lubricate the magazine tube because of the moving parts. I lubricate it to keep the carbon from "caking" up and to facilitate easy cleaning. I have shot 275 rounds in a day with no problems and I have gone a number of days of shooting before cleaning with no malfunctions. Break free CLP has worked well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Otis Technology Special Forces Dry Lube

JB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:27 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

johnnie g wrote:

Whether CLP, Breakfree CLP, or G96 . . . there is no potential for caking or jamming in only 100 rounds with any autoloader. "Wet" is a dramatic overstatement, as any of these leaves only a light film. Essentially any gas gun will run not just 100 rounds, but 3X -4X that with no issues . . . and that's the dirtiest of the lot, which would be the Mossberg 930 for example.

Any Remington 1100 will run 500+ rounds with no issues with a drop of Breakfree on the magazine tube. 100 rounds is nothing to worry or obsess about.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:16 am 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
johnnie g wrote:

Whether CLP, Breakfree CLP, or G96 . . . there is no potential for caking or jamming in only 100 rounds with any autoloader. "Wet" is a dramatic overstatement, as any of these leaves only a light film. Essentially any gas gun will run not just 100 rounds, but 3X -4X that with no issues . . . and that's the dirtiest of the lot, which would be the Mossberg 930 for example.

Any Remington 1100 will run 500+ rounds with no issues with a drop of Breakfree on the magazine tube. 100 rounds is nothing to worry or obsess about.

This is good to hear info. I was wondering how long an 1100 could be shot without cleaning. I guess that I am being too anal cleaning it after 100 rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:05 am 
Utility Grade

johnnie g wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
johnnie g wrote:

This is good to hear info. I was wondering how long an 1100 could be shot without cleaning. I guess that I am being too anal cleaning it after 100 rounds.

The rem1100 holds a record at 24,000 shells without cleaning before jam. 100 is a cakewalk.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

A gas auto going 24K rounds without cleaning is a world record beater for sure.........and verified by Remington Arms? What an advertising promotion that would be.....we would all switch to the 1100 model plus the competition would redesign their gas autos to mimic the 1100. I'm a buyer for sure.....maybe Randy can get it verified if he chooses to work some sources at Remington.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:19 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The claim, published in many sources, is "The model 1100 holds the record for the most shells fired out of an autoloading shotgun without malfunction, cleaning or parts breakage with a record of over 24,000 rounds. The record was set in 1978 with a Remington model 1100 LT-20."

Although published many, many times and the subject of many threads, it has never been independently verified as to where, who, and when.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
The claim, published in many sources, is "The model 1100 holds the record for the most shells fired out of an autoloading shotgun without malfunction, cleaning or parts breakage with a record of over 24,000 rounds. The record was set in 1978 with a Remington model 1100 LT-20."

Although published many, many times and the subject of many threads, it has never been independently verified as to where, who, and when.

Thanks Randy, I thought so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:33 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'd call the claim dubious, at best. Even today, 1500 rounds without cleaning is 'bragging rights' of sorts for the Remington V3, Mossberg 940, and so on. When I went through Remington's private gun library as well as the museum, I did ask where the world-record-breaking 1100 LT-20 was. No one at Remington had any idea what I was referring to.

All gas-operated shotguns get pretty scummy past 1000 rounds: B-80, Fabarm L4S, V3, Mossberg 940, Beretta 390. There is an old saying, “he who asserts must prove.” We all know who makes the fastest-cycling, softest-shooting, most reliable shotgun in the world. According to current catalogues, everyone makes that model.