ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weatherby Element 12ga rattle in the action
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:31 am 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone this is my first post so please forgive me if this question was already asked. I have a weatherby element 12ga and after about 200 rounds there seems to be a loose part or piece of something rattling around in the action. Has anyone else had this happen and will the warranty be void if i disassemble it to see whats going on.

Post subject: Re: Weatherby Element 12ga rattle in the action
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Taking the gun apart will not void the warranty, (at least it shouldn't). You could always call Weatherby and ask them about the problem.

cdb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd recommend calling Weatherby - they have been known for good customer service, but I haven't dealt with them in a few years.

There really isn't anything in an Element that should make a rattle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does it have a plug in the magazine?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ramrod84 wrote:
Hello everyone this is my first post so please forgive me if this question was already asked. I have a weatherby element 12ga and after about 200 rounds there seems to be a loose part or piece of something rattling around in the action. Has anyone else had this happen and will the warranty be void if i disassemble it to see whats going on.

Weatherby has no warranty. You cannot void what doesn't exist.

Even if Weatherby had a written warranty, which they do not, simple disassembly of a shotgun could not void a warranty. Warranties typically cover "manufacturing defects" (defects in workmanship or materials) . . . R&R of components is not re-manufacturing or modifying the product.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
Ramrod84 wrote:

Weatherby has no warranty. You cannot void what doesn't exist.

Even if Weatherby had a written warranty, which they do not, simple disassembly of a shotgun could not void a warranty. Warranties typically cover "manufacturing defects" (defects in workmanship or materials) . . . R&R of components is not re-manufacturing or modifying the product.

According to their web site they have a warranty

https://weatherby.com/support/warranty/

cdb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:29 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

Good catch: that must be new for 2021. It looks like I have some articles to update. :oops: Browning, Ruger, etc., still have no warranties. Note the escape clauses:

Disclaimers:

If your firearm proves to be functional after gunsmith evaluation, you will be subject to a service fee.
If your firearm proves to be accurate after gunsmith evaluation, you will be subject to a service fee.
Weatherby, Inc. reserves the right to repair or replace any product at our sole discretion.

Regardless, disassembly of a firearm cannot void a warranty unless you damage it while you do so. The rattle isn't covered by warranty ("If your firearm proves to be functional after gunsmith evaluation, you will be subject to a service fee.") as it is not a functional issue.

I've not had any special or unusual rattles in the three Element models I've tested. They are decent shotguns for the money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:32 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Ramrod84 wrote:

This sounds like your first shotgun. See https://weatherby.com/wp-content/upload ... 6-2015.pdf .

Weatherby instructs you to disassemble the gun, page 19 for cleaning and then tells you how to reassemble it. Taking apart the gun is what Weatherby recommends in the first place; there is no reason to get cranked up over warranties.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:45 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

Weatherby is a name that has been synonymous with quality firearms for over 70 years. All Weatherby® firearms are manufactured of the finest materials and have been thoroughly inspected and tested in every phase of production. Because of the confidence we have in our products, Weatherby® does not provide a written warranty, but rather stands behind its reputation for customer service and satisfaction.

You can read the above in the owners manual for the 18i, written in October 2019: https://weatherby.com/wp-content/upload ... unWEB-.pdf .

The fellow that actually reads the owners manual (there has to be a few of us out there?) is told in the supplied printed manual that "Weatherby® does not provide a written warranty." Small wonder there is some confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 am 
Tournament Grade

Any luck OP?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 20ga Weatherby Element that I bought about a year ago. I was my first semiautomatic. I have 3 12ga O/U, and a 16 SXS now. I have shot pumps, SXS, O/U, and rifles since I was 6 and I am 66 now. I am not an expert like Randy, or others here. I have learned a lot since being on this site.

Mine has had about 350-400 rounds through it. It shoots fine. I did a simple disassembly, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled when I got it and lightly clean after shooting. The only kind of rattle I have had is when the magazine is empty and sometimes I hear the plug (size of a soda straw). Check the magazine assembly cap to see if loose. If you don't let the bolt close normally, it may make a sound.

Is yours empty when you hear this? Is the breach open or closed, empty or with a round in it? Is the sound in the forearm, breach, or grip? The recoil mechanism is in the grip and attached to the bolt at the rear sort of like a A-5 Browning.

Like others have said, disassemble, look for loose parts, CALL Weatherby and ask them. Their customer service is supposed to be fairly good.

Many folks will help on this site.

JB