ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester choke/constriction question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 pm 
Field Grade

Hi- I have a Super X Model 1 with a barrel marked FULL. I have observed a barrel marked TRAP FULL. Is there a difference between the two constrictions, and, if so, what is the measurement of the Trap constriction? Is it comparable to Extra Full? Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Winchester choke/constriction question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

not really.
most of those older guns weren't kidding when they said full though.
I have had several marked improved modified that would surely pass for a slightly sloppy full choke anyway you wanted to measure it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 am 
Tournament Grade

I suggest you take a bore mic and measure the barrel. But remember that’s only a starting point, often barrels will measure one thing and shoot differently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:33 am 
Field Grade

Thank you. The Full choke is pretty much where it needs to be, but I don't have the Trap Full in hand to measure. Trying to justify the purchase. You're right in that the true measurement will be in patterning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Not a Super X but I had a Winchester 101 Trap Model 30 inch tubes made in 1968 that was marked Full and Full. Did not say Trap Full though, just Full and Full.

The actual choke constrictions when measured by my smith were more like 40 to 43 thousandths under bore which would be more like Extra Full. I sold it but probably would have opened the chokes a bit had I kept the gun (never got used to that monte carlo stock comb)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:19 am 
Field Grade

simslax wrote:
Not a Super X but I had a Winchester 101 Trap Model 30 inch tubes made in 1968 that was marked Full and Full. Did not say Trap Full though, just Full and Full.

The actual choke constrictions when measured by my smith were more like 40 to 43 thousandths under bore which would be more like Extra Full. I sold it but probably would have opened the chokes a bit had I kept the gun (never got used to that monte carlo stock comb)

As with the other post, it seems like the fixed tube Winchesters tend to run tighter. Thanks for that info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am 
Presentation Grade

The Winchester Super X Model 1 guns had two different full choke barrels.

The barrels marked "full" were field barrels but had the same constriction as the "full trap" barrels and the gas ports were a little smaller as they were intended for heavy water fowl loads.

The barrels marked "full trap" were designed for trap competition and the choking and pattern and POI were tested and proofed to be as good as they could get and if not they would be rejected. These barrels also had gas ports that were a little larger as they were designed for trap loads which are restricted to a maximum load. They also have a higher POI of impact than the field barrels. Anybody that has one of these barrels knows that they just destroy targets with authority.

CT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:42 pm 
Field Grade

searun wrote:
The Winchester Super X Model 1 guns had two different full choke barrels.

The barrels marked "full" were field barrels but had the same constriction as the "full trap" barrels and the gas ports were a little smaller as they were intended for heavy water fowl loads.

The barrels marked "full trap" were designed for trap competition and the choking and pattern and POI were tested and proofed to be as good as they could get and if not they would be rejected. These barrels also had gas ports that were a little larger as they were designed for trap loads which are restricted to a maximum load. They also have a higher POI of impact than the field barrels. Anybody that has one of these barrels knows that they just destroy targets with authority.

CT

Gas port sizing was the last thing on my mind. Always learning. Thank you for your valuable input.