ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage SxS for Cowboy Action?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:03 pm 
Utility Grade

My main match gun is a Chinese tank of a Colt 1878 reproduction. It is fine for me, but I recently took my brother to a match and lent him the gun. He struggled a bit with the external hammers and I formed the opinion that it might be nice to have a hammerless gun as a loaner and back up gun.

I had a Stoeger coach gun when I started, and never really felt any love for it, so I think I would just as soon not get another. I would like a dual trigger gun, so I believe that rules out the most popular SxS guns in the CAS world, the SKB and BSS.

I have seen a few vintage guns that seem like they would suffice, particularly an East German Thalmann, a Husqvarna 1310, and a lower end Laurona. I would like to spend at or below $1500, so a few other guns such as an Ugartechea may fit the bill as well.

I read somewhere that the older guns have a short forcing cone, and the current plastic hulled rounds with plastic shot cups cause elevated pressure and tend to beat things up.

I generally use AA low noise/recoil rounds, but lately I’m glad to be able to get 1 oz loads at under 1200 FPS.

Will the older SxS shotguns hold up under a moderate diet of modern ammo?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dual trigger, extractor only, flat breech face SxS that would be good for CAS? I don’t mind 28” barrels, but anything tighter than a modified choke would need to be opened up or cut off.

Post subject: Re: Vintage SxS for Cowboy Action?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

The trouble with most older guns is that they are short-chambered, for the 2-9/16" (or shorter) shotshells of the day.

To get one with a 2-3/4" chamber, it would have to have been made after 1926 (+/-) - when shotshell ammo was upgraded by the ammunition companies.

IDK if the same chamber issue exists with 12ga guns.

I would suggest you look for a re-finished (stock & bluing replacing case colors) specimen - of which there's usually plenty available for under (sometimes well under) $1K.

Provided an older guns w/o obvious damage like cracks, barrel bulges, and rust/pitting, and also checked by a qualified double gun smith (not some clueless parts-changer) as being safe to shoot, they were all built very well (aka: hell for stout).

YMMV, but I like L.C. Smith & L.C. Smith Hunter doubles - but you can also search for older Stevens & Remington SxS'

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... _p1_o6.cfm

https://www.gunbroker.com/LC-Smith-Hunt ... Hunter&s=f

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Consider this one ,retro features and modern design/manufacture. https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-sharp-tail-coach/

Bobcat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Simpson Ltd in Galesburg, Ill., will have something that meets your needs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:15 pm 
Field Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
Simpson Ltd in Galesburg, Ill., will have something that meets your needs.

What he said.

They have tons of European SxS shotguns that will fit for well under your price point. I’ve bought several from them in the past and they are really easy to deal with.

Good luck.
John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:53 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks again everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Stevens 16ga bought new in 1960, it's still going strong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

CriscoKid,

It was 16 gauge shotguns that got 2 3/4 inch chambers in 1926. Most American made 12s had 2 3/4 ' chambers earlier. Some European 12s still had 2 1/2" chambers later.