ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3” shells in a 2 3/4” chamber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

I almost, by mistake bought a box of 3” 28 ga yesterday.
Then I noticed it was 3”
Since you CAN’T return ammo, could I shoot it in my 2 3/4” chambered gun??
Who makes a 3” 28 gun now that there is 3” ammo?

Post subject: Re: 3” shells in a 2 3/4” chamber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:59 am 
Crown Grade

Benelli has a 3 inch chambered 28 gauge in their Ethos model. There may be others.

Of course you can shoot the 3 inch in a 2 3/4 inch chambered gun; but you know that you should not!

If you did buy them, you could trade those 3 inch ones for 2 3/4 inch ones or maybe buy an Ethos 28 gauge to shoot them in. A blessing in disguise so you are "forced" to buy another gun. Win-Win!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would not shoot a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber. The crimp will not have enough room to open up properly and the pressure will spike. Will that cause catastrophic failure? Maybe and maybe not. But that's not a chance I want to take. There could also be a cumulative effect where you would get away with it for awhile and then all of the sudden - BOOM! My fingers, arms, and eyesight - not to mention my life - are worth more to me than to push my luck trying to make something work that isn't designed to work together.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:51 pm 
Limited Edition

This is driving me crazy, but I saw a 28ga O/U with a 3" chamber in a catalog but cannot remember the make

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Yea, you can. American guns (& others) will take much more abuse than they were intended to endure. Do you want to be a statistic? That will void any warranty or any legal recourse if the fact you shot 3" ammo. in a 2 3/4 " gun is disclosed. I have had friends I didn't even feel comfortable shooting from the same boat when they were shooting their reloads. One carried a pair of pliers in his back pocket to pull hulls out of his SXS that were jammed due to excess pressure. He is still alive as far as I know with all his appendages in tact. Me, if it were not for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
Benelli has a 3 inch chambered 28 gauge in their Ethos model. There may be others.

A blessing in disguise so you are "forced" to buy another gun. Win-Win!

I like this line of thinking {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:08 am 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:

Of course you can shoot the 3 inch in a 2 3/4 inch chambered gun; but you know that you should not!

I saw they were 3” before I purchased them.

If you did buy them, you could trade those 3 inch ones for 2 3/4 inch ones or maybe buy an Ethos 28 gauge to shoot them in. A blessing in disguise so you are "forced" to buy another gun. Win-Win!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 am 
Tournament Grade

I had a friend who borrowed my Browning 525 2 3/4 chambers SC shotgun for a round of informal trap. He begins shooting (right in front of me and others) and mentions "Gee there is quite a bit of recoil with this gun." He is absolutely pulverizing the targets -- balls of smoke. Now my 525 is probably around 7lbs 10 oz and I cannot say i ever noticed "excessive" felt recoil using it.

I look down and notice the shells on the ground that he is ejecting and they look a little odd to me. Dark green hulls. So when they are changing stations I grab one of the spent hulls. It's a Browning branded hull, 3 inches long, 1 1/2 oz. and marked as #2 Steel shot at 1550 FPS!

"Whoa, there" says I. What the f*** are you shooting and where did you buy them? He tells us that the local Dick's Sporting Goods store had all their 12 gauge ammo on one shelf all marked down to $5 per box of 25. He just swept the entire shelf into a shopping cart and bought them all. He had normal 2 3/4 target loads mixed in with these 3 inch waterfowl loads and he never really noticed which box he grabbed at the time.

Well I was none too happy but luckily I did not notice any damage to my 525 barrels or to the choke tubes from his folly. Someone gave him a box of 2 3/4 no 8s to finish his round. He had shot maybe 10 of those 3 inch shells. No wonder he felt a lot more recoil and was pulverizing clays.

Careless of him? Oh yeah. We don't allow anything larger than 7 1/2 shot on our trap field and what a stupid move loading 3 inch shells loaded with #2 steel shot into a 2 3/4 gun. But stupid things and mistakes happen more frequently than you might think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:13 am 
Crown Grade

simslax,

About a thousand years ago, when I was alive I took an American serviceman wood pigeon shooting over decoys. Set him up, watched him shoot half a dozen quite nicely, and then left him to it.

I went back after a couple of hours and much banging later, expecting to see a lot more than the fourteen of fifteen he had on the deck. "I think my eyes are going, after a bit I couldn't hit anything, though I nailed these two alright".

He sure had, they were smashed to pieces.

Like you I checked his empties; 25 Winchester 6's and any number marked "US Federal Reserve, lethal ball".
God knows how far they can travel, but I wasn't reassured!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Amazing! I'll bet there was nothing left of the couple that he did hit with that ammo!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

It always amazes me that someone can shoot a shotgun without knowing EXACTLY what the ammunition is that they are shooting. The ammo needs to be tailored to the kind of shooting you intend to do and is selected for that purpose. Or at least should be. There should never be a surprise when it comes to length of shell, size of shot, or type of shot. You should have already determined all of that before purchasing the ammo based on what it is that you are intending to shoot. In the case of ammo shortages where you can't find exactly what you are looking for, you select the closest acceptable alternative. But even then, you should know what that shell is as far as length, shot size, and shot type. If not, how do you know that you selected the closest acceptable alternative? Shooting buckshot at birds or steel #2 at clays is baffling to me. I guess inexperience? I just don't know how else it could happen unless done on purpose.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lots of people are clueless, some are not clueless but are careless. When I was a young teenager I pheasant hunted with my cousin and another kid. After a volley at a flushing pheasant we were picking up hulls and discovered the one kid had some slugs mixed in with bird shot.

I used to attend a very informal trap shoot put on by a local biker club. I have witnessed a guy shooting with no choke tube in his barrel, he couldnt find them. A guy shooting 3" lead #4 out of a Marlin goose gun, they were the only shells he had and he was happy to trade them for some target loads. Another guy shooting 3" lead #6 because his 11-87 would not cycle 2 3/4", we disassembled his gun and found he was missing a part. We dropped the part in from another 11-87 and the gun cycled target loads just fine. I have seen empties laying at the range where people were shooting sporting clays with 3" steel duck loads and 3" lead turkey loads.

This is nothing compared to the stuff that happened at county park rifle range near where I used to live.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:42 pm 
Crown Grade

simslax wrote:
Amazing! I'll bet there was nothing left of the couple that he did hit with that ammo!

A neighbor had some Canada geese flying low over their place. He grabbed a couple steel shot shells from the bottom of the duck boat that had been there since last duck season.

The one he managed to drop had a hole in the breast half as big as your fist. He figures the steel shot had rusted together over the year of being in the bottom of the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:14 am 
Limited Edition

I hunted with a guy once that had an older 2 3/4" 1100 and he said he tried shooting 3" shells through it once. It worked for a few rounds and then something inside the ejection port broke off and disabled the gun. I only hunted with that guy once because I didn't like his vibe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:14 am 
Tournament Grade

I was chatting with an acquaintance the other day at my daughter’s softball game. We started talking about duck hunting, and what we hunt with. He said to me “I duck hunt with the 1100 I’ve had since I was a kid.” I said “oh, so you’ve got an 1100 magnum.” He said “no”. I said “so you have a 3” barrel you swap out for duck season.” His response... “no, it’s just an 1100. I know I’m not supposed to shoot 3” shells through it, but I do it anyway. It cycles them.” I didn’t say anything else to him about it. What tickles me about this guy is he’s an attorney. He makes a 6 figure salary. He could easily purchase a 3” chambered barrel for his 1100.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:27 am 
Crown Grade

SHughes wrote:
I was chatting with an acquaintance the other day at my daughter’s softball game. We started talking about duck hunting, and what we hunt with. He said to me “I duck hunt with the 1100 I’ve had since I was a kid.” I said “oh, so you’ve got an 1100 magnum.” He said “no”. I said “so you have a 3” barrel you swap out for duck season.” His response... “no, it’s just an 1100. I know I’m not supposed to shoot 3” shells through it, but I do it anyway. It cycles them.” I didn’t say anything else to him about it. What tickles me about this guy is he’s an attorney. He makes a 6 figure salary. He could easily purchase a 3” chambered barrel for his 1100.

He will file a lawsuit when the gun blows up.
IT DIDNT SAY ON THE BARREL NOT TO SHOOT 3” shells.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:50 am 
Tournament Grade

Dr Duk wrote:
SHughes wrote:

He will file a lawsuit when the gun blows up.
IT DIDNT SAY ON THE BARREL NOT TO SHOOT 3” shells.

Lol you may be right. :lol: He’s actually a pretty good guy, but he’s tight with his money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:35 pm 
Field Grade

We had a new show up in a unit I was in, wanted to go duck hunting. Seemed like enough of a nice guy and new how to talk like a duck hunter. So, we get out one Sat morning, which is another story in itself, and his Franchi 12 ga, will not kick the empty out of the gun. He tried this 3 times, pulling the barrel off to clear the gun.

Finally, I ask to see one of his shells. 3" something or other in steel shot. Ask to see the gun. 2 3/4" shells only. Tell him thats the problem. He replies that it was his dad's gun and he shot "magnums" in it all the time. Didnt even ask if the gun was rated for steel, this was in the late 90's and the gun was his dads of unknown vintage.

We picked up and headed home, last time I took him hunting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:02 pm 
Crown Grade

hawk_driver wrote:
We had a new show up in a unit I was in, wanted to go duck hunting. Seemed like enough of a nice guy and new how to talk like a duck hunter. So, we get out one Sat morning, which is another story in itself, and his Franchi 12 ga, will not kick the empty out of the gun. He tried this 3 times, pulling the barrel off to clear the gun.

Finally, I ask to see one of his shells. 3" something or other in steel shot. Ask to see the gun. 2 3/4" shells only. Tell him thats the problem. He replies that it was his dad's gun and he shot "magnums" in it all the time. Didnt even ask if the gun was rated for steel, this was in the late 90's and the gun was his dads of unknown vintage.

We picked up and headed home, last time I took him hunting.

You can’t fix stupid! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is an interesting subject when the topic of 2 1/2" guns comes up a lot of folks say it is ok to shoot 2 3/4", I'm not one of them. I will say that when I was young and dumb I shot an old Damascus barreled 16ga one the very first of the cartridge guns infact this one was a conversion to cartridge(still have it). I didn't know anything about damascus or short chambers and it lived on ah diet of high brass 1 1/4oz shells. It is still in one piece, so am I but would I do it knowing what I know now , no way. I load 2 1/2 low pressure loads for my old guns.

Being cheap and worrying about $40 worth of shells that might wreck a nice shotgun doesn't sound like sound thinking.