ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cabelas Gun Library R.I.P.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It keeps getting worse. I counted 30 long guns and most of those were black Armans and Stogers. Maybe 6 Browning and Beretta combined and six pistols. Dick Cabela is turning over in his grave. It was fun while it lasted.
I never heard of a Arman but they are cheap. There use to be 2-3 hundred guns there.

Post subject: Re: Cabelas Gun Library R.I.P.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:24 pm 
Field Grade

You would actually need someone with knowledge of firearms to work there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not sure where you're looking, I just went to the website and they had 597 shotguns alone

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/used-gu ... geSize:16&

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A friend of mine use to run the library. He knows more about guns than anyone you could imagine, from muskets to present day ARs ,pistols,and deer rifles. He studied gun smithing at college. He was let go because of a squabble with another employee. The gun room was never the same.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:05 pm 
Field Grade

I frequent Cabelas Hamburg, PA. and have seen a steady drop in the quantity and quality of their used guns. As of this posting, their website lists 597 used shotguns across all gun counters. In years past, the Hamburg counter alone would have several hundred. That said, don't rely on their website as a complete listing of used guns available. Hamburg has 16 used shotguns listed but I'd wager that they have nearly 100 on display. I might venture up this weekend for a look.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:06 pm 
Limited Edition

I went to the one in Rogers, MN a few weeks ago and it was pretty bare. As were the racks outside the Gun Library that are normally overflowing with the cheaper stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:13 am 
Tournament Grade

I stopped frequenting the local Cabela's Gun Room in East Hartford CT a few years ago when they instituted a policy of locking their shotguns with trigger locks and / or cables and not allowing a prospective purchaser to disassemble shotguns for inspection or to use snap caps for checking trigger pulls, ejector function and timing, or safety function. These were invariably used guns with no warranty and their store policies were just not conducive to a fair examination and inspection of a used shotgun. The responses on this Board that I received when I posted my experience suggested that this was a company-wide policy change and not just my local store.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:23 am 
Crown Grade

Cabela's went down the rabbit hole several years ago - I stopped patronizing both (fairly) local locations (Maine & Conn) and will not purchase anything from them online.

There's enough alternatives to that company to satisfy my wants (YMMV, though)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 am 
Crown Grade

MNGunner wrote:
I went to the one in Rogers, MN a few weeks ago and it was pretty bare. As were the racks outside the Gun Library that are normally overflowing with the cheaper stuff.

That could be more a function of the present situation than anything. The supply of anything gun related has been heavily pressured by heavy demand and logistical challenges

Not saying there aren’t issues with cabellas but every place that sells guns probably has less stock than usual and many places by a large percentage.

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I was in Cabela's yesterday, Drove about 50 miles. Not worth the trip ! Won't go back and told them so. !!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Our gun library is empty, has 3 gun safes across the opening.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:09 am 
Crown Grade

It may be a temporary issue. Given today's high demand and high online sale prices for nearly all guns it's less appealing to sellers to let a gun go for the wholesale cost a reseller will offer.

Joe Bob's Gun Shop may be willing to overpay for a couple of shotguns knowing he will have a quick GunBroker turnaround for a very good profit. A large retailer may not be as willing to overpay for thousands of guns for fear being stuck with them when retail prices normalize.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

Cabela's went downhill first when the Cabela family gave up control to the wolves of Wall Street and then again when BASS bought them. As to guns, BASS where I live is FULL of guns, no ammo, but the long gun racks are overflowing and the handgun displays are nearly full.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:44 am 
Limited Edition

simslax wrote:
I stopped frequenting the local Cabela's Gun Room in East Hartford CT a few years ago when they instituted a policy of locking their shotguns with trigger locks and / or cables and not allowing a prospective purchaser to disassemble shotguns for inspection or to use snap caps for checking trigger pulls, ejector function and timing, or safety function. These were invariably used guns with no warranty and their store policies were just not conducive to a fair examination and inspection of a used shotgun. The responses on this Board that I received when I posted my experience suggested that this was a company-wide policy change and not just my local store.

I am no fan of the reconstituted Cabela’s, But these restrictions in Connecticut may be a function of local laws and regulations rather than company policy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm 
Limited Edition

I think You people are All whacked... :lol: ..went to the local Cabelas in Ohio a few weeks ago. the gun room was closed , hardly any ammo or reloading supplys . hardly anything in the air rifle section. BUT.. they had lot's of toys, gift items , clothes , fishing ,camping and boats...... And as I was leaving the store I saw it.....'THE SUNGLASSES OUTFITTER". :shock: :? :roll: ...
Today We had to go to the west side of Cleveland for some Family stuff. stopped at Fin, feather & fur ,and while they had limits on what You could buy they Did have a lot of product on the shelf. Cabelas isn't worth the time to drive anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

It is very easy to take a well ran place and screw it up.
It is very difficult to take a badly ran place and fix it.
Words of wisdom by Jordan Peterson.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's taken me two years to work my Cabela's points down, and I'm down to less than $30. When that's gone I can cut up my card and cancel the account. BP ruined a pretty decent store.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

First (and last time) I was at Cabelas in Reno NV, the people in the firearms department were down right rude.

After my less than stellar experience, I'll do everything I can to shop somewhere else. Which sucks, cause I've been being stuff from them since I was just a kid.

Oh and Scheels has a Ferris wheel, so they win lol.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:24 am 
Limited Edition

dpe2002 wrote:
MNGunner wrote:

That could be more a function of the present situation than anything. The supply of anything gun related has been heavily pressured by heavy demand and logistical challenges

Not saying there aren’t issues with cabellas but every place that sells guns probably has less stock than usual and many places by a large percentage.

For sure! The lack of inventory is absolutely a function of the time we are in. This post was just in response to someone else commenting on how many guns they have online not whether the gun library is dead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I went to the Cabela's in Woodbury, MN. They told me no card was necessary for the Library and I didn't have to whisper!