ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cabelas Gun Library R.I.P.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

I bought several nice shotguns in the Rogers Mn cabelas gun library, well before Bass Pro bought cabelas. I have been back a few times but not in the last six months. It seems it’s been heading south, along with the rest of Cabelas. Don’t know if I’ll ever go back. The Scheels store nearer me is light years ahead of the current cabelas.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:28 pm 
Field Grade

DEG wrote:
It may be a temporary issue. Given today's high demand and high online sale prices for nearly all guns it's less appealing to sellers to let a gun go for the wholesale cost a reseller will offer.

Joe Bob's Gun Shop may be willing to overpay for a couple of shotguns knowing he will have a quick GunBroker turnaround for a very good profit. A large retailer may not be as willing to overpay for thousands of guns for fear being stuck with them when retail prices normalize.

It's not temporary. I fully expect that within 5 years the Cabela's signs will be coming down and Bass Pro signs will replace them. I also expect that within that same time span Bass Pro will announce they will no longer sell semi automatic long guns of any description, even the Ruger 10/22.

Currently the Chesterfield Cabela's has the Gun library closed down blocked off and used long guns are relegated to two 15 foot racks behind the counter where you can't even see the price tag. In addition there is NO Reloading area anymore, presses, powder, bullets, all gone. Then the ammo area is a joke, used to be they had 3 long double sided racks with nothing but flats of shotgun ammo, those are all gone and one single side of one rack now serves as the handgun, rifle, and shotgun ammo department.

Now some will claim that the reloading area being closed is because they can't get supplies. While that may sound valid if you go to the Extreme Bullets web site you will see that they do have stock on hand. I also know that some of the Distributors for powder are still getting in fresh stock and selling it, my gun club has a pretty good selection of powders on hand and a limited supply of shotgun and handgun ammo on hand for club members at prices that are only mildly painful, such as Win 410 AA's for 18 bucks a box.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gentlemen,

I found the Tristar Bristol 28 gauge gun that I have been searching for on GI, and guess what store has the gun, Cabelas in about 4 different locations. It looks like Cabelas is using on line sales to make up for the Gun Library mess. I may just purchase one of these entry level Tristar 28 gauge double guns from Cabelas, I have been hearing good things about the Bristol 28 gauge guns. I almost hate to purchase from Cabelas because of the games they are playing with us shooting sportsman.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:13 am 
Crown Grade

scooter123 wrote:
DEG wrote:
It may be a temporary issue. Given today's high demand and high online sale prices for nearly all guns it's less appealing to sellers to let a gun go for the wholesale cost a reseller will offer.

Joe Bob's Gun Shop may be willing to overpay for a couple of shotguns knowing he will have a quick GunBroker turnaround for a very good profit. A large retailer may not be as willing to overpay for thousands of guns for fear being stuck with them when retail prices normalize.

It's not temporary. I fully expect that within 5 years the Cabela's signs will be coming down and Bass Pro signs will replace them. I also expect that within that same time span Bass Pro will announce they will no longer sell semi automatic long guns of any description, even the Ruger 10/22.

Currently the Chesterfield Cabela's has the Gun library closed down blocked off and used long guns are relegated to two 15 foot racks behind the counter where you can't even see the price tag. In addition there is NO Reloading area anymore, presses, powder, bullets, all gone. Then the ammo area is a joke, used to be they had 3 long double sided racks with nothing but flats of shotgun ammo, those are all gone and one single side of one rack now serves as the handgun, rifle, and shotgun ammo department.

Now some will claim that the reloading area being closed is because they can't get supplies. While that may sound valid if you go to the Extreme Bullets web site you will see that they do have stock on hand. I also know that some of the Distributors for powder are still getting in fresh stock and selling it, my gun club has a pretty good selection of powders on hand and a limited supply of shotgun and handgun ammo on hand for club members at prices that are only mildly painful, such as Win 410 AA's for 18 bucks a box.

I suspect the gun library is closed down because they can't get enough volume of guns to justify keeping it open. It's a temporary problem.

Reloading sections are closed down because they can't get a volume of equipment and components to justify keeping it open. This is also a temporary problem.

It would be a complete waste of time and money for a large retailer to attempt to contract with a small mom & pop operation like xTreme Bullets because the inventory is so tiny it would cost them more to get the box to the shelf than what they could make on them and all the contracting efforts would have been wasted after they exausted the inventory in about 10 seconds.

Ammo area is a joke because they can't get enough ammo to stock the shelves. This is also a temporary issue.

I guarantee Cabelas is receiving and selling far more ammo than what you little gun club sees. It is just being removed from the shelves as quick as it's being put on the shelves.

None of the problems you mentioned are unique to Cabelas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:37 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone know what happened to Remington ? Are they gone for good now ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:51 pm 
Field Grade

gunwinger wrote:
Anyone know what happened to Remington ? Are they gone for good now ?

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=529338

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:32 am 
Field Grade

Was in the Cabelas/Bass Pro (whichever name they're using this week) in Rogers, AR a few weeks ago. 7 pm on a Friday night. 60 year old employee pushing a shopping cart with a blanket in it, full of guns, laying against each other.

Asked why the gun room was closed "nobody here to work it tonight, all the guns are locked up".

Asked what he was doing with the shopping cart. "putting all the guns in the safe". He was grabbing the used ones off the rack and pushing to the back. Another guy was taking the new ones off the rack behind the counter and doing the same.

"doesn't that bang them up?"

"It sure does, look at this..." (shows me a new Benelli, forget the model, but a dressed up one, had big scratch all down the side) "but don't worry, we can offer you a 10% discount on it, home office knows best and they make these rules" he said with a grin, a wink, and a knowing look that it was stupid what they were doing.

I'm sure in Rogers, AR they have to worry about the front doors being stormed and all the gangbangers stealing the Benelli's and Model 70s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gentlemen,

Tried to purchase a Bristol 28 gauge from Cabalas, no can do with a regular direct draw Credit card any more. Bass Pro has the entire purchasing criteria for their company messed up. They wanted me to get a gift card, then after I received the gift card they would use it for the sale of the gun. I canceled the purchase of the Bristol 28 gauge gun. I will purchase one of these new guns from Ken Graft at Shooting Stars.

Dealing with Cabelas is insanity now.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 pm 
Limited Edition

cheesy1 wrote:
60 year old employee pushing a shopping cart with a blanket in it, full of guns, laying against each other.

Part of me just died... Thank God he doesn't work at the Perazzi factory.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:02 pm 
Field Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

Tried to purchase a Bristol 28 gauge from Cabalas, no can do with a regular direct draw Credit card any more. Bass Pro has the entire purchasing criteria for their company messed up. They wanted me to get a gift card, then after I received the gift card they would use it for the sale of the gun. I canceled the purchase of the Bristol 28 gauge gun. I will purchase one of these new guns from Ken Graft at Shooting Stars.

Dealing with Cabelas is insanity now.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Holy cow. I couldn't believe this so I called the catch-all customer service number and asked for clarification. I didn't get much of an answer but the agent gave me a phone number she said was for the corporate offices. I will try them tomorrow.
417-873-5000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My local Scheels hasn’t removed the reloading shelf space. It isn’t very well stocked, but at least it’s still there. They have plenty of shot and wads

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 am 
Limited Edition

Gun Library has been in slow decline for years.