ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help please !!! Franchi instinct SL doesn’t fully open
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:11 am 
Utility Grade

I have a Franchi Instinct SL, have run about a 1000 shells through it, it shoots fine, however when I open the hinge it doesn’t fully open, the bottom barrel isn’t clear off the receiver unless I apply pressure on the barrels to keep it open and then unload the shell and keep the pressure to load a new shell.

I’m thinking it’s an issue with the Forend, I took the ejectors off and tried it but it still does that.....it’s driving me nuts, please help

Post subject: Re: Help please !!! Franchi instinct SL doesn’t fully open
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mgewaily wrote:
I have a Franchi Instinct SL, have run about a 1000 shells through it, it shoots fine, however when I open the hinge it doesn’t fully open, the bottom barrel isn’t clear off the receiver unless I apply pressure on the barrels to keep it open and then unload the shell and keep the pressure to load a new shell.

I’m thinking it’s an issue with the Forend, I took the ejectors off and tried it but it still does that.....it’s driving me nuts, please help

I'm not familiar with that specific gun, but here's my guess:

When you open an O/U, the opening motion activates a cocking lever which moves the hammers back to full cock position. In doing so, you are compressing the hammer springs. In order to make sure the hammers are moved far enough back so that the sears engage in the hammer notch, the gun is designed to actually move slightly farther than necessary since it's better to open the gun a little bit too far than not enough since opening the gun not enough would result in the hammers not being cocked.

Therefore, when you open the gun fully to eject the empties and cock the hammers, the hammer springs will push the gun back toward the closed position a very slight amount until the sears stop the hammers from being pushed any farther forward. Due to the design of this gun, the open but relaxed position results in not being able to load a shell into the bottom barrel.

I fully agree that would be a PITA to me since I don't want to have to pull down on the barrels when I'm loading the bottom chamber. However, the "fix" for this is likely well beyond the ability of the average gun owner.

Again, since I don't own one of these guns, I haven't had the chance to carefully examine the parts to even identify which part might need some work on. So, unfortunately, it appears to be a problem that you'll have to continue to deal with. You might contact the manufacturer and see if this problem is covered under warranty, but my guess is that they will say that this is how they designed the gun and they don't approve of any changes.

Sorry that I can't give more encouraging news.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is completely normal for all over/under shotguns. It's called overcock, and it's to ensure the hammers are rotated back far enough to engage the sears. You could get rid of it by shorting the cocking rod(s), however it could result in misfires if you mess with it, and if you shorten the rod too much the gun would stop working completely until a new rod was fit.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

After thinking about this situation a bit more, I believe that the solution to the problem would be to recut the sear notch in the hammers. It's clear that the gun opens far enough to eject the empties and load a new round in the bottom chamber. The problem is that the gun doesn't STAY open enough. The reason it doesn't stay open enough is due to the position of the sear notch in the hammers.

If the sear notch in the hammers were farther back, the gun would stay in a more open position. You might also be able to correct the problem by means of a longer sear which would hold the hammers in a greater (fully opened) cocked position rather than allowing the hammers to return part way forward.

Personally, I don't think that the cocking lever should be touched. And I don't see how the "cocking rods" have anything to do with it since they are for the ejection hammers in the forend piece. Ejection is not a problem. The problem, in a nutshell, is that the gun is not REMAINING fully open when it is opened and the way to address that is to either modify the sear notch in the hammers or modify the sears themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The term "cocking rod" says it all, it is responsible for cocking the gun. In some cases that may be how, or have in impact in ejection, but not necessarily.

Shortening the cocking rod would mean that the hammers are rotated back less, reducing or eliminating the overcock, while simultaneously increasing the likelihood that the hammers are not cocked completely (some guns have a 2nd safety sear which will catch the hammer but not allow for a full power strike) or at all, either leading to FTF.

Cutting new sear notches in hardened hammers would an expensive and tedious proposition, and having new sears scratch built would be extremely expensive. This is not a problem that requires completely reengineering the gun...

At the end of the day the OP is worried about a non-issue, it's something that is present to various degrees in all over/unders, the degree depends on the mainspring power, the tightness of the gun on the knuckle, and the weight of the barrels.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Beretta 686 that does the same thing. Here is my situation and my solution...

Before I open the gun, or in the process of breaking open the action I tend to point the barrels down toward the ground in front of me. Gravity is pulling down on the opened barrels, but since they are actually pretty much pointing almost straight down at the ground in front of me it won't quite get the action completely open. All I need to do is point the receiver up in the air, or even horizontal, and gravity is now able to pull down on the barrels adding the sufficient weight to pull against the springs and viola, the action is now open just a bit farther. So... just point the receiver either horizontal or slightly up when you open the action.

This might not work for you, but it certainly solved my problem, and the best part is it costs nothing and does not change anything on the gun.

I also have the same problem with a 90 year old Sterlingworth SxS, but those springs are stronger and I usually need to push down on the barrels slightly to provide that slight bit extra to open the action.

So, in my case the problem is not with either of the two guns I mentioned, rather it is with ME when I open the action on these shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Franchi Instinct SL does not have a "cocking rod(s)". It has a "cocking piece" which is part #31 in this link https://www.midwestgunworks.com/franchi ... parts.html

This is also known as a "cocking lever" which is the terminology used by Browning and me.

The "cocking rods" that I referred to earlier are actually called "ejector trip rods". My apology for the mixup in terminology.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Road Man wrote:
I have a Beretta 686 that does the same thing. Here is my situation and my solution...

Before I open the gun, or in the process of breaking open the action I tend to point the barrels down toward the ground in front of me. Gravity is pulling down on the opened barrels, but since they are actually pretty much pointing almost straight down at the ground in front of me it won't quite get the action completely open. All I need to do is point the receiver up in the air, or even horizontal, and gravity is now able to pull down on the barrels adding the sufficient weight to pull against the springs and viola, the action is now open just a bit farther. So... just point the receiver either horizontal or slightly up when you open the action.

This might not work for you, but it certainly solved my problem, and the best part is it costs nothing and does not change anything on the gun.

I also have the same problem with a 90 year old Sterlingworth SxS, but those springs are stronger and I usually need to push down on the barrels slightly to provide that slight bit extra to open the action.

So, in my case the problem is not with either of the two guns I mentioned, rather it is with ME when I open the action on these shotguns.

I think that you have a good point there. It may well be how the gun is held by the shooter when he is unloading and loading the gun. Out of years of habit, I simply hold onto the forend of the gun with my left hand and with the muzzle of the gun pointed toward the ground as I load the fresh shells into the gun with my right hand. The weight of the buttstock tends to hold the gun in the open position.

I just now checked my Browning 525 Sporting and there is ZERO play in how far open the action is regardless how I hold the gun. However, the OP's gun may be built to different tolerances (or perhaps by design) to require some continuing opening effort in order to load a shell into the bottom barrel. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with that situation, but I suppose there are "workarounds" to address the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
The term "cocking rod" says it all, it is responsible for cocking the gun. In some cases that may be how, or have in impact in ejection, but not necessarily.

Shortening the cocking rod would mean that the hammers are rotated back less, reducing or eliminating the overcock, while simultaneously increasing the likelihood that the hammers are not cocked completely (some guns have a 2nd safety sear which will catch the hammer but not allow for a full power strike) or at all, either leading to FTF.

Cutting new sear notches in hardened hammers would an expensive and tedious proposition, and having new sears scratch built would be extremely expensive. This is not a problem that requires completely reengineering the gun...

At the end of the day the OP is worried about a non-issue, it's something that is present to various degrees in all over/unders, the degree depends on the mainspring power, the tightness of the gun on the knuckle, and the weight of the barrels.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is it new? Is it still under warranty? I would call the company before I did anything to the gun?

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Having to hold the barrels down on some doubles while loading is a bit of a hassle, but IMO it is part of that gun's design. I have experienced it in various guns. One of the most common ones where it is found is on the Savage/Fox 311 doubles. They all have to be held fully open to load. It also exists in other much higher grade guns to some degree.

A technique I have used when using a gun that requires it be held open, is that when the gun is open & empty, I rest the muzzle on the toe of my foot. It is then a simple press of my right hand on the grip to push the gun open the final bit while I drop a couple of shells in the chambers with my left hand. I then pick the barrels up and close the gun fully with the muzzles pointed in a safe direction.

It is a function of their particular design and I bet that is the same for the OP's Franchi. I fully expect that if Franchi Customer service is contacted, and IF the OP speaks to a knowledgeable person they will say that it is inherent in the design. I would engage them first and then decide based on whether they say it is operating correctly or not.

If it still drives you "nuts" after it is determined to be part of the design; then you need to shoot a different gun. I would not try to reengineer it to alter its design performance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Ulysses wrote:
The Franchi Instinct SL does not have a "cocking rod(s)". It has a "cocking piece" which is part #31 in this link https://www.midwestgunworks.com/franchi ... parts.html

This is also known as a "cocking lever" which is the terminology used by Browning and me.

The "cocking rods" that I referred to earlier are actually called "ejector trip rods". My apology for the mixup in terminology.

You nailed it, I just finished grinding about a millimeter from that cocking piece and now it works like a charm. Thank you so much.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mgewaily wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

You nailed it, I just finished grinding about a millimeter from that cocking piece and now it works like a charm. Thank you so much.

Thank you.