ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DISTANCE FOR POA / POI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm considering checking POI from my POA and check the pattern while at it.

What would be the ideal distance? I am shooting trap for 80% of the time and 20% at the sports clay.

Post subject: Re: DISTANCE FOR POA / POI
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

POI Testing by Neil Winston
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/tes ... ton.49553/
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/poi ... ct.609041/
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/poi ... 241/page-2

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Drew Hause wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Went to a shooting range near me. Doesn't have a pattern board so got rifle target stands and put splatter targets.

For POI to POA, the left target, my rifle seems to shoot 50:50. When shot mounted the pattern is more like 9:1. Shots were taken at 16 yards away.

Guess my stock is too high?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do about 10 more mounted. If they are all consistent: Measure distance from center of the pattern down to where you desire the center of the pattern. Each 1/16” of movement of the comb down will move the pattern down approximately 1” at 16 yards.

Edit to add: trap shooters mostly prefer the gun to shoot high due to the rising targets.

Sporting is a game where a 50/50 gun is what I like due to a combination of rising and falling targets combined with crossers at a multitude of ranges.

Last edited by Willie T on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Willie T wrote:
Do about 10 more mounted. If they are all consistent: Measure distance from center of the pattern down to where you desire the center of the pattern. Each 1/16” of movement of the comb down will move the pattern down approximately 1” at 16 yards.

OK. Each target was shot 3 times. I will put up 10 more targets with 3 shots, total of 30 shells, to find the consistency. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

gpark09 wrote:
Willie T wrote:

OK. Each target was shot 3 times. I will put up 10 more targets with 3 shots, total of 30 shells, to find the consistency. Thanks.

If you are consistent, it is not necessary. If you are not consistent, fitting is futile. Trap and sporting are quite different games. What you have will work well for trap without covering the target. Sporting clays would be another matter. You need to decide what YOU prefer before you make alterations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Willie T wrote:
gpark09 wrote:
Willie T wrote:

If you are consistent, it is not necessary. If you are not consistent, fitting is futile. Trap and sporting are quite different games. What you have will work well for trap without covering the target. Sporting clays would be another matter. You need to decide what YOU prefer before you make alterations.

I am looking for somewhere in between 60:40 and 70:30 in order to shoot sports clays while not hurting my trap shoot.