ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Champion Flash Clay targets are garbage!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Bought a box of Champion "Flash" clays because I thought they'd be fun for the kids. Total crap!! They just pack a orange chaulk powder in the recess on top and cover it with a sticker. 75% of the time, the sticker flies off coming out of the trap leaving you and your equipment covered in the orange powder. The stickers are all over my field--hopefully they are biodegradable as it claims the target is.

Love Champion Biobirds, but these Flash models are junk! Maybe I'll put them on stakes nd shoot them with handguns.

Post subject: Re: Champion Flash Clay targets are garbage!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have you tried White Flyer targets?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I make them myself, or use WF.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes. I have used white flyers and I like them. These are marketed to show more effect when hit which I thought would be good for kids, but they are just junk.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

MNGunner wrote:
Bought a box of Champion "Flash" clays because I thought they'd be fun for the kids. Total crap!! They just pack a orange chaulk powder in the recess on top and cover it with a sticker. 75% of the time, the sticker flies off coming out of the trap leaving you and your equipment covered in the orange powder. The stickers are all over my field--hopefully they are biodegradable as it claims the target is.

Love Champion Biobirds, but these Flash models are junk!

That's what I use, and have used for some time. No problems ever-- no chalk on anything. Sounds like you got a bad batch.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:44 am 
Diamond Grade

MNGunner wrote:
Yes. I have used white flyers and I like them. These are marketed to show more effect when hit which I thought would be good for kids, but they are just junk.

White Flyer makes "Crusher" targets in their pitch (non-bio) line of targets that are flash targets containing powder. That's what I was suggesting as an alternative to the Champion flash target.

https://whiteflyer.com/white-flyer-manu ... er-target/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 am 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
MNGunner wrote:

Love Champion Biobirds, but these Flash models are junk!

That's what I use, and have used for some time. No problems ever-- no chalk on anything. Sounds like you got a bad batch.

Randy, do you use the Champion Flash models with the paper sticker on the top or the Biobirds? I use the same WheelyBird2.0 thrower that you do in your videos, so if the Flash models work for you, then maybe it was a bad batch. There was so much chalk, I ended up using a leaf blower to clean off my thrower.

These are the ones that were junk yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIDVBzwIPSc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:33 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

MNGunner wrote:
Randy, do you use the Champion Flash models with the paper sticker on the top

Yes. I've had zero problems, so you might want to call Champion.

They all have stickers on the top. https://whiteflyer.com/white-flyer-manu ... er-target/ has a sticker as well, but it is orange.

You can see the Champion birds in this video.

There is more chalk in the White Flyer Orange Crusher and more orange smoke. However, they cost more and can't be shipped by UPS. The Champion targets can and are far less fragile than the Orange Crushers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
MNGunner wrote:
Randy, do you use the Champion Flash models with the paper sticker on the top

Yes. I've had zero problems, so you might want to call Champion.

They all have stickers on the top. https://whiteflyer.com/white-flyer-manu ... er-target/ has a sticker as well, but it is orange.

You can see the Champion birds in this video.

There is more chalk in the White Flyer Orange Crusher and more orange smoke. However, they cost more and can't be shipped by UPS. The Champion targets can and are far less fragile than the Orange Crushers.

Thanks, Randy. I actually bought that Champion WheelyBird 2.0 after watching a review you did on it and it has been absolutely fantastic! Those are definitely the same clays I tried yesterday, but not at all the same performance. Like I said, a huge number lost the top sticker right out of the thrower and covered us in powder. The stickers seemed loose even in the box. So same thrower, same clays--it must be a bad batch like you said.

Incidentally, the Champion Biobirds are my go to, but just wanted something with more dramatic effect for the kids.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:57 am 
Utility Grade

there are lots of youtube videos on how to modify clays to make them powder puff "flash".

get some marking chalk in different colors, some glue and some scrap paper to cut up and have the kids watch the videos and make some!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

billpoole wrote:
there are lots of youtube videos on how to modify clays to make them powder puff "flash".

get some marking chalk in different colors, some glue and some scrap paper to cut up and have the kids watch the videos and make some!

If you're looking for a chalky mess, that's one way to find it.