ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun Help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all, I’m new to Shotguns but not handguns. Have been thinking about getting a shotgun for home defense - primarily the Mossberg 88 Maverick 12 gauge, mostly because it’s Mossberg and also because of the great price point. Scheels here in Nebraska has is for $250. My question is I’m wondering for buckshot- I guess, is the right ammo for the job, I’ve seen different lengths of shotgun shell cartridges and different sizes of 00 buckshot, how do I or will I know if it works and fits properly in the gun? Thanks in advance for all the advice and info.

Bearded BigDave

Post subject: Re: Shotgun Help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:34 pm 
Field Grade

Welcome Dave. Others with way more knowledge will be along to help you along but I will give you. My two cents.

For home defense, 2-3/4” shells are the most common. 00 buck is probably the most commonly encountered size but any of the buckshot loads work well. When the number goes up, the size of the pellets gets smaller so there are more of them inside the shell. Some people even advocate bird shot for hd since the ranges are short. I also believe over penetration is a concern with bigger pellets so small bird shot lessens that potential.

The Maverick is a good reliable choice. I’m pretty sure those will use mossberg 500 barrels so finding those will be easier than most. I always liked a short (18-1/2”) bbl for hd but a longer one will work if that’s all you have.

Good luck.
John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

the side of the barrel will be marked something like 'for 2-3/4" shells only'.[and maybe with a fixed choke designation]
or something like 'chambered for 2 3/4 or 3'' shells'', which allows you to use either 2 3/4" or 3" shells.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 am 
Presentation Grade

A good gun sales person at the store should be able to tell you what shells the gun is chambered for.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:38 am 
Presentation Grade

The side of the barrel will be stamped with something like "2-3/4 shells only." Any shell of appropriate gauge and length will work.

In terms of loads, it's a hotly contested topic, fortunately generally hypothetically. At the moment availability of shells is an issue, so any shells are better than no shells. A HD ranges (a few yards - the length of a staircase or a hallway) getting hit with an ounce of anything at 1200 fps is going to knock you back pretty hard. 00 Buck is certainly the most common, but some make arguments for #4 Buck, even BB. And again, something is better than nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

noweil wrote:
A good gun sales person at the store should be able to tell you what shells the gun is chambered for.

Good luck with that...…….. many "gun sales persons" may just as well be selling pencils

(would you like fries with that, sir ? ;) ).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I’ve been in law enforcement for 20 years, and I have seen first hand that any 12 gauge load is effective when fired from cq. Shorter barrels are easier to maneuver in hallways and doorways, but not a necessity. If you’re only gonna use the gun for HD, then a barrel 20” or shorter would be your best option. If you also want to enjoy shooting clays and maybe some bird hunting, you may want to look at a 24” or 26” barrel. I mainly use my guns for hunting, and I’ll still grab my waterfowl gun before my service handgun if I’m ever in a HD situation, and it’s got a 28” barrel. Trust me, no intruder wants to stare down the end of a shotgun. Very difficult to miss, even in such a high stress situation.

As mentioned earlier, the barrel will be clearly marked as to the size of shell the gun will take. 2 3/4 shells will be sufficient for HD, however.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 am 
Tournament Grade

CriscoKid wrote:
noweil wrote:

Good luck with that...…….. many "gun sales persons" may just as well be selling pencils

Pretty broad brush there. I agree, many aren’t as knowledgeable as we’d like, but there are some great and very experienced people out there. Case by case is my method of classifying how good a job folks do. YMMV.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

While I agree with any shell is better than no shell, #4 buckshot and larger will penetrate at least 12 inches in ballistic gel according to the FBI. Anything smaller than #4 buck from a shotgun will not meet that criteria. Is that important to you? Only you can decide. Also depends on whether the guy that breaks in is wearing shorts and and t-shirt and weighs 150 lbs soaking wet or if he is wearing a leather jacket, long sleeve shirt, and undershirt with jeans and weighs 350 lbs. Smaller than #4 buckshot may handle the first guy but I would want #4 buckshot or larger for the second guy. YMMV.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

D I S T A N C E. It matters, and inside the house they’re often stupid close. Which is why many shotgun accidents in the blind, around the truck, in the clubhouse are final. Hunting and target loads up close do the job. Not many’s first choice, but messy and final in many cases.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

Flyingtargets! wrote:

D I S T A N C E.

It matters, and inside the house they’re often stupid close.

Which is why many shotgun accidents in the blind, around the truck, in the clubhouse are final.

Hunting and target loads up close do the job.

Not many’s first choice, but messy and final in many cases.

+ 1,000

Even 20ga birdshot is devastating at the ranges encountered within most homes

Anyone who doesn't believe that should take a shot with birdshot at a wooden shelf (outside, natch) at the typical 6'-12' distances encountered in most homes, and check out the tennis ball sized hole the birdshot will punch through the wood before it expands into a "pattern"- which wood is much tougher than un-armored humans.

An overlooked advantage to using birdshot for HD, is that there's a little less chance of part of the shot charge penetrating an interior wall and injuring a loved one that's out of sight.

I say "a little less" because I have a friend that accidently discharged a load of #6 shot inside his home that penetrated a few interior partitions, and was only stopped from exiting the home by the thicker wood door casings beyond the muzzle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Don’t say that two loudly guys. I was roasted for suggesting birdshot for HD in a thread last month. Basically was told that is irresponsible advice. However, at in my house I find it more than adequate. Just hope I never have to validate that fact.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am 
Diamond Grade

To those saying birdshot is devastating at close range, I have read over the years of several accounts where a close range blast of birdshot left a nasty, horrible, shallow wound but the person who was shot was still coherent and in one case even able to walk around with no issue. Yes, there have been other cases where someone shot with birdshot died immediately but there are enough cases where the person would have still been able to put up a fight (ie. continue to operate their gun) that, in my mind, makes it risky at best. I have read much fewer cases of this happening with buckshot at close range. There are a ton of factors involved in each scenario but based on reports from actual shootings, the larger the shot you use out of your shotgun, the better the odds of stopping someone intent on doing you harm. So if I was going to choose birdshot, I would choose #4s over #8s. #2 or even BB size shot would be even better. The bigger the better for incapacitation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

CriscoKid wrote:
noweil wrote:

The Omaha Scheel’s does have knowledgeable salespeople, so the OP would do well to get their input.
That being said, why do I feel like that was a drive-by post?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Specklebelly wrote:
Don’t say that two loudly guys. I was roasted for suggesting birdshot for HD in a thread last month. Basically was told that is irresponsible advice.

Indeed. A lot of armchair experts on the 'web frequently roast people for that reason. They usually cite the heavy-leather-coat-wearing boogeyman. You know... the one who is hopped up on all sorts of drugs to the point where a face full of birdshot will not even make him blink as he comes after you with a machette. That sort of thing is a nightly occurrence in suburban Nebraska, I'm pretty sure. At least, that's what I've heard tell on the internet.

On the other hand, telling people to put buckshot in your gun which will penetrate into your suburban neighbor's houses is not "irresponsible advice". No, that's Real Smart Advice. At least from the folks whose moral code puts their own well being above that of their neighbors' children. :roll:

Last edited by HenryVac on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Also regarding buckshot in houses...

Unless you live in the country with no neighbors in range, shooting any projectile in your house, which likely penetrates outside the house, is shooting without knowing what lies behind your target, which is a violation of Cooper's "rule four".

Possibly risking others' lives, because you fear for your own life, is immoral behavior and cowardice. If I'm on the jury when somebody's stray pistol, rifle or buckshot round went past or through the Bad Guy and struck someone downrange, I've voting for a manslaughter conviction. And that goes for police too, like the NYC cop a few years ago who dumped a double-stack magazine and didn't hit the perp but did hit bystanders downrange.

RULE 1 - ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
The only exception to this occurs when one has a weapon in his hands and he has personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as he puts it down, Rule 1 applies again.

RULE 2 - NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

RULE 3 - KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

RULE 4 - BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:27 pm 
Crown Grade

There are dangers associated with using a firearm. In the case of a home invasion or defensive gun use, there are dangers associated with NOT using a firearm. Just make sure that all your projectiles go into the attacker. Anything passing through will most likely be harmless to next door neighbors.