ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Is there any reason my length of pull would vary from one gun to the next?

Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I think it’s in the geometry of the stock. I have shotguns with the same LOP when measured but one will seem short and cramped and the other will feel fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

yeah.
the drop at the comb, and heel can affect how a longer or shorter LOP actually feels/fits too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I have two guns with a 14.25" lop and the one feels way longer than the other. I think it's just the way the stock is designed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:02 am 
Tournament Grade

How do you know what length of pull is ideal for a specific shooter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:35 am 
Diamond Grade

The largest factor in how long a gun feels is where you put the forearm. The further forward the forearm, the longer the gun feels. A Pump 870 Remington will feel longer than an 1100, because the forearm position is further forward, is a perfect example. You can make your 870 feel like the 1100 by using an extended forearm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:53 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

gunner76 wrote:
I have two guns with a 14.25" lop and the one feels way longer

The shape of the pistol grip is a factor, for the pistol grip inclines you to hold the gun a certain way. A length of pull measurement does not include the relationship between the pistol grip and the trigger.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RandyWakeman wrote:
gunner76 wrote:

The shape of the pistol grip is a factor, for the pistol grip inclines you to hold the gun a certain way. A length of pull measurement does not include the relationship between the pistol grip and the trigger.

I have found this to be true.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 am 
Crown Grade

Look at the Browning 725 specs for different models and you will see LOP that vary significantly. The 725 field is listed at 14.25 and the 725 sporting is listed at 14.75.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am 
Field Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
How do you know what length of pull is ideal for a specific shooter?

The standard most referred to is 2 fingers between the nose and thumb with gun mounted and cheek weld. For some it will be when the gun feels most comfortable while for others it will be when the gun breaks the most targets consistently. Often those two are related.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

RFlyer wrote:
Is there any reason my length of pull would vary from one gun to the next?

Yes - different stock design, different intended uses, wear tolerances in the machinery used, and the reality of Monday/Friday gun's quality differences...……….

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm 
Crown Grade

5 degree weather changes my LOP....does not necessarily change a ultimate hit or miss.
Many reasons for each in the pack basket.

A gunfitter in MI once noted to me the differences in stock measurements from a SxS to an O/U.
Any difference tho may be less important than we need the difference to be. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

JoeCool wrote:
The largest factor in how long a gun feels is where you put the forearm. The further forward the forearm, the longer the gun feels. A Pump 870 Remington will feel longer than an 1100, because the forearm position is further forward, is a perfect example. You can make your 870 feel like the 1100 by using an extended forearm.

That right there is funny. Completely wrong, but funny.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would agree that different guns can have different LOPs because of the grip angle and relationship to the trigger.

The 2 fingers from the nose to thumb knuckle this is not an absolute. I have read that it came from rifle set up so the scope doesn’t get your eye; I can’t find hard evidence to prove or disprove that.

The two most important things in LOP fit is ease of mounting the gun and arm position once the gun is in position.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:22 pm 
Limited Edition

dcblvsh2 wrote:
I would agree that different guns can have different LOPs because of the grip angle and relationship to the trigger.

The 2 fingers from the nose to thumb knuckle this is not an absolute. I have read that it came from rifle set up so the scope doesn’t get your eye; I can’t find hard evidence to prove or disprove that.

The two most important things in LOP fit is ease of mounting the gun and arm position once the gun is in position.

Well said!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 pm 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
gunner76 wrote:

That makes sense, the gun that feels shorter has a shorter more curved grip and the other one has a grip that is more gradual and stretched out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:24 am 
Crown Grade

If you have one gun that feels shorter then the other, start stacking washers under the recoil pad screws until it feels “right”. Short it there for awhile and you’ll probably want to change it a bit, perfectly normal and easily done. Most shooters have a range on LOP that works well for them, a distance I would put at 1/2”-5/8”. It takes a while and a bunch of shells to work it out. Everybody has to put in the time and shells up front. Enjoy the journey. No, you won’t magically figure it out in a box of shells. Your daddy was lying. You really aren’t smarter than everybody else.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

DEG wrote:
Look at the Browning 725 specs for different models and you will see LOP that vary significantly. The 725 field is listed at 14.25 and the 725 sporting is listed at 14.75.

The 725 Sporting doesn't have a specific length of pull, nor does any Browning with the "Triple Trigger System."

It does show, with an adjustable trigger shoe, how length of pull can vary on the same gun with the same stock. It is counter-intuitive, for you might think that a longer stock means a longer length of pull, but not always . . . where the physical trigger is located is part of the equation.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:21 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
DEG wrote:

The 725 Sporting doesn't have a specific length of pull, nor does any Browning with the "Triple Trigger System."

Browning says you are wrong since they list a specific length of pull for the 725 sporting on their website. They also list the Trap gun as having a different LOP than the Sporting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Randy is correct. adjustable triggers compensate for different sized hands.

The reason for measuring the distance between the nose and the second knuckle of the trigger hand thumb is to avoid the thumb bashing the nose during recoil.

How well other stock dimensions fir a shooter will affect that distance. The most important one is the drop at the heel dimension, which describes the distance of the top "heel" of the recoil below the rib.

That stock dimension along with the height of the shooter's gun mount, affect the need to lean the neck forward to put the cheek on the comb when mounting the gun. If the drop at the heel is inadequate, the neck must be leaned forward, which then requires additional LOP (length of pull) on the stock.

Also involved is the face drop of the comb, which describes the distance of that part of the comb onto which the cheekbone is "hung" on the comb, because different shooters have different cheekbone distances below the eye. This can be especially troublesome when the stock with a comb that is not parallel with the rib, more common on guns designed for competition clay target shooting.

Another thing that affects the nose thumb separation of the nose and thumb is the consistency of the gun mount. Too many shooters fail to realize the importance of practicing gun mounting until it becomes consistent, because inconsistent mounts can affect the position of the eye relative to the rib, which can affect the eye's position relative to the rib during swings and that can change where the center of the pattern goes when it reaches the target.

The bottom line of all this is to shoot a gun the fits you, which will allow a good "shooting form," which included a good stance and good body, head and neck posture with the head needing only a very slight nod to put the cheek on the comb. A good shooting form, which relates to shooter conformation and the dimensions of the gun's stock.

Shooting a gun that fits promotes consistency in swings and often reduces "felt recoil," which describes how much the gun kicks when it is fired.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384