ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:06 am
Posts: 15
Is there any reason my length of pull would vary from one gun to the next?




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 am
Posts: 2305
I think it’s in the geometry of the stock. I have shotguns with the same LOP when measured but one will seem short and cramped and the other will feel fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm
Posts: 1476
Location: Soda Springs, Id.
yeah.
the drop at the comb, and heel can affect how a longer or shorter LOP actually feels/fits too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:26 pm
Posts: 389
I have two guns with a 14.25" lop and the one feels way longer than the other. I think it's just the way the stock is designed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 pm
Posts: 181
How do you know what length of pull is ideal for a specific shooter?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:56 pm
Posts: 1528
The largest factor in how long a gun feels is where you put the forearm. The further forward the forearm, the longer the gun feels. A Pump 870 Remington will feel longer than an 1100, because the forearm position is further forward, is a perfect example. You can make your 870 feel like the 1100 by using an extended forearm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:53 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 27445
Location: Plainfield, IL
gunner76 wrote:
I have two guns with a 14.25" lop and the one feels way longer


The shape of the pistol grip is a factor, for the pistol grip inclines you to hold the gun a certain way. A length of pull measurement does not include the relationship between the pistol grip and the trigger.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:25 pm
Posts: 9670
Location: Louisiana
RandyWakeman wrote:
gunner76 wrote:
I have two guns with a 14.25" lop and the one feels way longer


The shape of the pistol grip is a factor, for the pistol grip inclines you to hold the gun a certain way. A length of pull measurement does not include the relationship between the pistol grip and the trigger.


I have found this to be true.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:33 pm
Posts: 6744
Location: Mascoutah IL
Look at the Browning 725 specs for different models and you will see LOP that vary significantly. The 725 field is listed at 14.25 and the 725 sporting is listed at 14.75.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:09 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Life of Riley wrote:
How do you know what length of pull is ideal for a specific shooter?


The standard most referred to is 2 fingers between the nose and thumb with gun mounted and cheek weld. For some it will be when the gun feels most comfortable while for others it will be when the gun breaks the most targets consistently. Often those two are related.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:16 pm
Posts: 3700
Location: New England
RFlyer wrote:
Is there any reason my length of pull would vary from one gun to the next?



Yes - different stock design, different intended uses, wear tolerances in the machinery used, and the reality of Monday/Friday gun's quality differences...……….

.

_________________
["CriscoKid", alias: Fat in the Can]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:50 pm
Posts: 2745
Location: SE Ohio...where ruffed grouse were
5 degree weather changes my LOP....does not necessarily change a ultimate hit or miss.
Many reasons for each in the pack basket.

A gunfitter in MI once noted to me the differences in stock measurements from a SxS to an O/U.
Any difference tho may be less important than we need the difference to be. :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:57 pm
Posts: 323
JoeCool wrote:
The largest factor in how long a gun feels is where you put the forearm. The further forward the forearm, the longer the gun feels. A Pump 870 Remington will feel longer than an 1100, because the forearm position is further forward, is a perfect example. You can make your 870 feel like the 1100 by using an extended forearm.


That right there is funny. Completely wrong, but funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 9:29 am
Posts: 4742
Location: Ohio
I would agree that different guns can have different LOPs because of the grip angle and relationship to the trigger.

The 2 fingers from the nose to thumb knuckle this is not an absolute. I have read that it came from rifle set up so the scope doesn’t get your eye; I can’t find hard evidence to prove or disprove that.

The two most important things in LOP fit is ease of mounting the gun and arm position once the gun is in position.

_________________
Image
http://www.ccgunstocks.com
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:57 pm
Posts: 323
dcblvsh2 wrote:
I would agree that different guns can have different LOPs because of the grip angle and relationship to the trigger.

The 2 fingers from the nose to thumb knuckle this is not an absolute. I have read that it came from rifle set up so the scope doesn’t get your eye; I can’t find hard evidence to prove or disprove that.

The two most important things in LOP fit is ease of mounting the gun and arm position once the gun is in position.


Well said!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:26 pm
Posts: 389
RandyWakeman wrote:
gunner76 wrote:
I have two guns with a 14.25" lop and the one feels way longer


The shape of the pistol grip is a factor, for the pistol grip inclines you to hold the gun a certain way. A length of pull measurement does not include the relationship between the pistol grip and the trigger.

That makes sense, the gun that feels shorter has a shorter more curved grip and the other one has a grip that is more gradual and stretched out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:24 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 2509
Location: MI
If you have one gun that feels shorter then the other, start stacking washers under the recoil pad screws until it feels “right”. Short it there for awhile and you’ll probably want to change it a bit, perfectly normal and easily done. Most shooters have a range on LOP that works well for them, a distance I would put at 1/2”-5/8”. It takes a while and a bunch of shells to work it out. Everybody has to put in the time and shells up front. Enjoy the journey. No, you won’t magically figure it out in a box of shells. Your daddy was lying. You really aren’t smarter than everybody else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:02 am
Posts: 27445
Location: Plainfield, IL
DEG wrote:
Look at the Browning 725 specs for different models and you will see LOP that vary significantly. The 725 field is listed at 14.25 and the 725 sporting is listed at 14.75.


The 725 Sporting doesn't have a specific length of pull, nor does any Browning with the "Triple Trigger System."



It does show, with an adjustable trigger shoe, how length of pull can vary on the same gun with the same stock. It is counter-intuitive, for you might think that a longer stock means a longer length of pull, but not always . . . where the physical trigger is located is part of the equation.

_________________
--Randy

http://randywakeman.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:21 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:33 pm
Posts: 6744
Location: Mascoutah IL
RandyWakeman wrote:
DEG wrote:
Look at the Browning 725 specs for different models and you will see LOP that vary significantly. The 725 field is listed at 14.25 and the 725 sporting is listed at 14.75.


The 725 Sporting doesn't have a specific length of pull, nor does any Browning with the "Triple Trigger System."


Browning says you are wrong since they list a specific length of pull for the 725 sporting on their website. They also list the Trap gun as having a different LOP than the Sporting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Length of pull question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:23 pm
Posts: 5615
Location: Brillion, WI-25 mls S of Green Bay
Randy is correct. adjustable triggers compensate for different sized hands.

The reason for measuring the distance between the nose and the second knuckle of the trigger hand thumb is to avoid the thumb bashing the nose during recoil.

How well other stock dimensions fir a shooter will affect that distance. The most important one is the drop at the heel dimension, which describes the distance of the top "heel" of the recoil below the rib.

That stock dimension along with the height of the shooter's gun mount, affect the need to lean the neck forward to put the cheek on the comb when mounting the gun. If the drop at the heel is inadequate, the neck must be leaned forward, which then requires additional LOP (length of pull) on the stock.

Also involved is the face drop of the comb, which describes the distance of that part of the comb onto which the cheekbone is "hung" on the comb, because different shooters have different cheekbone distances below the eye. This can be especially troublesome when the stock with a comb that is not parallel with the rib, more common on guns designed for competition clay target shooting.

Another thing that affects the nose thumb separation of the nose and thumb is the consistency of the gun mount. Too many shooters fail to realize the importance of practicing gun mounting until it becomes consistent, because inconsistent mounts can affect the position of the eye relative to the rib, which can affect the eye's position relative to the rib during swings and that can change where the center of the pattern goes when it reaches the target.

The bottom line of all this is to shoot a gun the fits you, which will allow a good "shooting form," which included a good stance and good body, head and neck posture with the head needing only a very slight nod to put the cheek on the comb. A good shooting form, which relates to shooter conformation and the dimensions of the gun's stock.

Shooting a gun that fits promotes consistency in swings and often reduces "felt recoil," which describes how much the gun kicks when it is fired.



_________________
Rollin

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 1casual, 47MolineRTU, 870Slugger, AJ-M12, Bailey Boat, Bakerloo, Bing [Bot], birdhunter39, Bladeswitcher, buster45, casonet, castnblast2, ccL, Clayshooter1, D McMillen, Denver1911, dirty girdy, double20, dubob, Dward, Ernest T, fredvon4, GE-Mini-gun, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], grade6man, hardcast, Jason Johnson, jbmich, jm9x23, kbud, Keperkey, kolar55, kondorthe3rd, KRIEGHOFFK80, leftex, Majestic-12 [Bot], mikehunter1954, Millertime, MNNavy, oldshotty, Osiek, PNorris, Qdog002, senoiaslim, SHughes, Skeet_Man, slotracer577, snooky, Station9, Syreel, Tennessee Cattleman, timps, toptechX6, tresamigovizslas, Tvbh40a, Warden, Win50


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice