ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walmart value 100 pk vs top gun and super target
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:11 am 
Diamond Grade

Walmart value 100 pk Winchester universal and federal filed and clays vs top gun and super target ? 2021 shoot what you can get . But are they the same (two Winchesters the same and are the two federal the same )

On the shelf today I picked up a box of each of the 100 value packs .

And I have some Super targets and top guns at home.
I’m guessing same shells.

Post subject: Re: Walmart value 100 pk vs top gun and super target
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

skar wrote:
Walmart value 100 pk Winchester universal and federal filed and clays vs top gun and super target ? 2021 shoot what you can get . But are they the same (two Winchesters the same and are the two federal the same )

On the shelf today I picked up a box of each of the 100 value packs .

And I have some Super targets and top guns at home.
I’m guessing same shells.

Winchester Universal shells are the WORST I’ve ever used!
Federal shells have been fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They used to have Remington value packs and they were fine, but I haven’t seen them in quite a while

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

You might want to avoid the cheap Winchesters if you're shooting an autoloader. Those shells have a very poor reputation for functioning in semiautomatics at our club. The poorest...

Last edited by desmobob on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Those Universals worked fine in my A400; even ran the 5 stand using them. While not as good as Nitros or AAs, if they work your gun and they're all you can get, they're better than not shooting at all

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tell you what I am noticing is a hodge podge of random shell brands on golf carts at shoots. Used to be you’d see one brand on a cart. Maybe two. Now I’m seeing 2 boxes of sts, 1 super target, one AA and a noble or some such odd thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

I cut open 4 shells

Federal top gun and field in clay
Both 7 1/2
Same hull same 2 piece wad and same powder . The top gun had bigger shot .
I'm sure that varies from lot to lot . ( about .004 to .005 bigger on top gun )

Winchester super target vs universal.
Same hull same wad same powder
Shot the same size #8

So same brands same shells IMO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

As skar said, "same brands same shells" :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:10 pm 
Limited Edition

My experience is much better with the Federals. Those Universals are really cheap looking with soft bodies and sometimes strange crimps and Winchester says not to reload them.
Going into bankruptcy, I wouldn’t expect to see Remington ammo for a while. Particularly the promo stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I shot a box of each today in my O/U
No issues with the ammo .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

desmobob wrote:
You might want to avoid the cheap Winchesters if you're shooting an autoloader. Those shells have a very poor reputation for functioning in semiautomatics at our club. The poorest...

I had an old Winchester pump 20 gauge that would rip Universal heads apart with the extractor. No issues with any other hull. Have not bought a Universal hull since. If they were the last shells on the shelf, I'd leave them for someone more needy and less fortunate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hal4son wrote:
desmobob wrote:

I had an old Winchester pump 20 gauge that would rip Universal heads apart with the extractor. No issues with any other hull. Have not bought a Universal hull since. If they were the last shells on the shelf, I'd leave them for someone more needy and less fortunate.

I've seen some new shooters struggling, or worse, disappointed with what they thought were problems with their new shotguns when in fact it was an issue with the cheap Winchester loads not functioning properly in their guns.

I often mention it when the subject of this ammo comes up and some people vigorously defend them. If they work for you in your gun, great! (And if you can find shot shells to buy, that's great also!) Just be aware that some guns do have issues with them...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:48 am 
Crown Grade

Local Walmart had pallets of Federal and Estate 4 packs sitting in the isles the other day for ~$22.

The only shells I will not buy due to feeding issues is Winchester Universal or Super Target. However, trap shooters in my area seem to love the Super Target for handicap practice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

sneem2 wrote:
My experience is much better with the Federals. Those Universals are really cheap looking with soft bodies and sometimes strange crimps and Winchester says not to reload them.
Going into bankruptcy, I wouldn’t expect to see Remington ammo for a while. Particularly the promo stuff.

Remington is supposedly back up and running at there Lonoke, Arkansas plant and running 24/7. At least according to an e-mail they sent out back on 4/17. So if that is in fact true, I do expect to start seeing Remington ammo again very soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:33 pm 
Crown Grade

I have shot a lot of Winchester Super Targets, mostly in over/unders, but quite a few in my S/As. Academy had them in one ounce 7.5s and 9s at a good price for a long time. I never had any problem with them and they were my regular practice shells. I thought they were the equivalent to the Federals and better than Gun Clubs.

The Universals I've shot were garbage and the Super Targets were much more reliable, even though they look very similar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

DEG wrote:
Local Walmart had pallets of Federal and Estate 4 packs sitting in the isles the other day for ~$22.

The only shells I will not buy due to feeding issues is Winchester Universal or Super Target. However, trap shooters in my area seem to love the Super Target for handicap practice.

I cut open a super target and universal they look the same.
Same wad same looking powder same shot .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
I have shot a lot of Winchester Super Targets, mostly in over/unders, but quite a few in my S/As. Academy had them in one ounce 7.5s and 9s at a good price for a long time. I never had any problem with them and they were my regular practice shells. I thought they were the equivalent to the Federals and better than Gun Clubs.

The Universals I've shot were garbage and the Super Targets were much more reliable, even though they look very similar.

Same here, not sure what the difference is but Universals will jam in a pump or semi very frequently. I've even had them stick in the chamber of a sbt and O/U.

I've never had an issue with a super target jamming.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot trap with an older 20 gauge A. Zoli, fixed chokes, F, M......The universals are terrible in this gun. The local GS has Fiocchi. Absolutely night and day. My scores are usually around 19-22 with the Fiocchi, and 15-16 with the Universals. However, there is a guy there that reloads the Universal hulls. Picks up every empty. Says, 2x and done....he does it because they are so plentiful. Go figure. Maybe he's right.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think the universals have less recoil than the federals. No problem with either cycling, or performance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drawdc wrote:

This has been my experience as well. Since they use the same powder, wad and shot, perhaps the hull is different?