ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just moved to IL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:49 pm 
Field Grade

not a big move, just across the river from clinton ia. but being new to the state and all, where are a decent places to hunt, or ranges to target at?

Post subject: re: Just moved to IL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, you made about the same mistake I did. I moved here from Wisconsin. The first thing in IL is to make sure you have a FOID card. Illinois politicians are not huge gun fans thanks to Chitcago, so we are constantly bombarded with anti-gun laws.

As far as decent places to hunt, deer are great here, but they are in Iowa as well. You should have several places around Savanna that are open to the public and productive for deer, ducks and geese.

As far as ranges, they are not plentiful thanks to insurance premiums. We've lost many archery ranges and a gun range in our area.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:48 am 
Field Grade

figures. finally get away from the ghettos and white trash only to find myself in lala land...lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:56 am 
Utility Grade

Down south their is the world shooting and recreation complex, and to the east from there is the rend lake shooting complex.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi Johnney, and welcome to Illinois. I'm from the western fringes of the Chicago area and I'm not too familiar with your area. My advise is ask at any local gun store you stop in, and if they don't know, ask someone else. Talk to the guys working there, the customers, guys in the parking lot. If you're in Walmart and see someone looking at guns, ask them too. I've been shooting at the St Charles Sportsman Club in Elburn on and off for 25 years. I started trap shooting again about 2 years ago, and the more time I spend at the club, the more I hear guys talking about places to shoot in my area that I've never heard of. Just ask around, gun guys are always happy to talk to other gun guys.

By the way, now that you're in Illinois, check out the Illinois State Rifle Association at http://www.isra.org/ We have a whole bunch of lefty politicians in this state trying to take away our rights on a statewide level. The ISRA is fighting for us locally, so check them out. Thanks, JOHN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:25 am 
Utility Grade

Hi Johnney. Welcome to the great state! I live in rochelle. There is trap and skeet shooting at coleta sportsmans club. Wednesday and Thursdays i think. It's north of Sterling. Tri-county gunclub has trap ranges. It's by polo/ milledgeville. All kinds of public land deer hunting in your area and east of you. Hope you enjoy it here. dcl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:33 pm 
Field Grade

thanks for the reply s. have to get used to hunting over here thats for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:24 pm 
Field Grade

Take a look at this web site it has helped me.

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/IL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Welcome Johnney
I was born and raised in Clinton. First let me say Im sorry.. lol
There isnt much around your area unless you know some farmers.
I cant even think of a place to go shooting except maybe a place in Morrison. There are however ALOT of big game and birdies along the river. Best of luck in finding somewhere to hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm new to the forum and stumbled on this post If you haven't given upon Illinois and gone back to the land of Idiots Out Wandering Around If your still looking for a place to shoot check out PASA at Barry IL also check out Quincy Macomb and Jacksonville. For hunting most state owned areas allow hunting Jim Edgar panther creek is a great place for deer pheasant and quail check ILdnr web site for info Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:37 am 
Field Grade

actually ive hooked up with some of the people i work with. they have land out in port byron. been trying to get some geese this morning, but couldnt get them in close enough.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:40 pm 
Utility Grade

better luck next time Like I said IL dnr websight can hook you up A few years ago my son took a shotgun shooting clinic we found At Panther Creek and I know other conservation areas hold clinics for kids and women Again welcome to the forgotten state otherwise known as downstate Illinois