ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Indoor Clays
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the update, Gordon. I’d certainly make a trip up to Green Bay to see it after it’s built. Who knows, maybe you could sell me a franchise to build one here. I’m interested in the ballistic nylon material. What thickness is required to stop shotgun pellets? Where can I buy some? It could be just what I’m looking for if I pursue my small-scale idea.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Just search the web for Balistic Nylon and look for a company near you or that you wouldn't mind calling. The stuff is thin, like normal blue jean thick. It is rated like a bullet proof vest in the I, II, II-A system. It is not the cheapest stuff but if you want to by raw materials and make your own screens it isn't too bad. The following site sells a 6'x6' level III-A barrier for $2,275. These things are water, acid and fire proof too, a lot more than I need, but a good example.
Balistic Barrier
The following is a report of the types of balistic fabrics. In the report in shows that balistic nylon is the lowest rating. That is fine for the shooting application I'm lookind are, but do not expect it to stop harder shots (non-tox), or solid projectiles.
You can lso get Kevlar brand Balistic material for less than $30 a yard Here

http://www.huntingpups.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

And I thought I was the only one with this BRILLIANT idea!

My thought is that the EPA laws would be less difficult as you wouldn't have all the soil issues to deal with. Of course, there's always the issue of waste disposal.

With all the urban sprawl and loss of hunting and club land, it won't be too long before this is one of our few shooting options left.

Perhaps someone out there can actually make it happen. There's got to be some rich shooters out there?

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Also, I've got an acquiantance who works for Range Systems, they make material that would stop the shot dead. Check out www.range-systems.com.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well I've come to the realization that I think too big! I also realize that if I start small, concentrate on some core ideas, and keep my eyes on the future I can do this. I can not afford the three trap field size building, not the 150 yard rifle range building. So I have what I think is a reasonable plan, tell me if you would utilize this type of place:

2 indoor 5 stand fields measuring 55'x105' (6 traps per field)
1 indoor pistol/short rifle range of 4 lanes by 60'
1 classroom for gun safety and related functions
1 small retail area for ammo, target, choke, ...,
1 Welcome desk for P.O.S.

This would get the idea rolling and hopefully generate the income to grow into the size I would like too see. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good luck. You reminded me of my old stomping grounds. I lived in Marinette for a few years...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well if I ever get this thing rolling come on back and shoot a round with me!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Can't help with indoor shotgun stuff, but have worked on an indoor rifle/pistol range. The project used a pre-engineered metal building system 40 wide and 350' long. the first 50' is retail gun sales and rental desks. The next 300' is 3 100yard rifle ranges and 6 pistol ranges.
Nothing special about the building other than designing for extra loads imposed by the baffle system hung from the rafters and purlins. Wall are CMU block, air system is a simple exhaust fan above shooters. Back Stop is about 4' of sandbags behind a pile of shredded tires...looks like chunks of coal.
Now, this cat is making some bucks! They have league pistol shoots and benchrest for rimfire and centerfire, rifle and pistol rentals, ladies nights, concealed handgun classes...they got the deal covered. AND they stay busy...I used to drop by and play...now you'd better call and make an appointment.
BTW, it's not just for cold weather....this is TEXAS and it's a 120 degrees in the sun...A/C, indoors in the shade is real nice in the summer!!
I liked your idea of recycling an old warehouse...would be nice if it had pre-cast concrete walls. Also think shooters would need to shoot in a "cage" that prevented the barrels from being pointed at the roof...instant roof leaks! The idea of shooting under a shed is not as bad as you may think...but then again, I don't live where it's 20 below zero.
I also liked the 410 idea...coupled with smaller targets...you could mimic a lot of different shots...I can see trap type targets shot on the rifle range...and of course you'd have a really nice selection of 410 shotguns and get to sell cases of that high dollar ammo too!
Dream on! As Jimmy Buffet wrote "believe it and it will come true". Build it and they will come.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:14 am 
Tournament Grade

By the way, if you try the link in the above post it won't work because of the period at the end of the sentence/web address. Here is is again:

www.range-systems.com

I wish you the best of luck. Let us all know how it works. Maybe we can get these things to pop up all over the place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Last weekend, I tried an idea I had for an improvised indoor target thrower. I have a simple manually-cocked Hoppes #9 thrower that I got for under $25. As is, it throws a standard target about 40 yards, a mini about 50 yards. I replaced the spring with a lighter one - 66 lbs. I found the mini target would fly nicely about 40 feet. The full-size would go about 35 feet, but was too slow to stabilize properly. Now, if I could just find a place where I could actually shoot, I’m sure the test would have been a lot more fun. I’m hoping to I can find a pistol range that will let me try it.

BTW, Gordon’s range plan sounds great to me. There are a lot of warehouse buildings in the suburban Chicago area that would be big enough for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:29 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

When I was a kid we would go visit my cousin in Illinois. A local gunshop had a Mo-Skeet-O set up in an adjacent barn. It was shot with .22 birdshot from special smooth bored Remington guns. My dad bought a set of two traps and a hand trap and got a Winchester and a Remington .22 birdshot guns. We shot it outside in our yard. When I came back from the Navy, we could not find any Mo-Skeet-O birds so we never did it again. Just saw two birds for sale on Ebay at $2 each.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:14 pm 
Up here in MN there is a golf range open 365 days a year. What they did was elevate the hitting pads about 10 feet off the ground and build pods in a U shape. At the base of the U is a heater, and the sides of the U are around 10' tall. Its covered but the cover is not flat, its angled so if you hit a wedge it flys just fine.
Rather than a totally enclosed range, expand on this idea. The couple of times I have hit balls there I was in jeans and a sweat shirt because the heater pumped plenty of heat even in 3 degree weather.
The price of a bucket of balls goes up in the winter from 12 to 18 bucks but to be able to work on your game in January is great.
You could design a 5 pod system or one large pod. Once you have the final plans down you could then sell it to ranges all over the upper midwest to supplement your true in door range if you wanted to.
Just thinking if golfers can do it, so can we :)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:38 pm 
Field Grade

i would defineitly drive up from milwaukee to come and visit!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:03 am 
Diamond Grade

I have no doubt I could draw a crowd from Chicogo even! I have plans all drawn up a a very successful business man willing to go over the bussiness plan and help me raise capitol ... this sucker might just become a reality yet!!!!!!

If it happens I'll have a spot open for ya!

Post subject: re: Indoor Clays
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

www.presidentialclublv.com
We are building it this year, please fill out a registration form on our site for membership information.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Did anyone ever get a indoor skeet range open? Can't find any video of anything other than the one in Germany.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Waukesha Gun Club now has 3 indoor 5 stands.Basically what they are is a 10x40 foot trailer with 6 windows cut in one side.( 1 for the puller ) Heat, carpet and lights round out the extras.We had about 200 shooters on 5 man teams this past winter.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:15 am 
Crown Grade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyq90LEZe4k ..................NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!