ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slug Guns/Barrels Please Help!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:47 pm 
Field Grade

I live in the Twin Cities area and am an avid waterfowl and upland bird hunter. I have an 870 that i started out with years ago as my all around gun. Have recently purchased semi auto and and O/U for more specialized situations. My semi auto is a Stoeger 2000. Deer season is aproaching and will be hunting in shotgun only this year. Need a slug gun that I can rely on. Have been looking at barrels for 870. Rifled barrel cost as much as i paid for the gun. The 2000 i cant find anyone who sells a slug barrel. I would even buy a cheap gun that is all set up, used or even single shot. Anyone have any ideas or help me shed just a little light on the situation.

Thanks for the help

BP

Post subject: re: Slug Guns/Barrels Please Help!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:57 pm 
Crown Grade

An 870 is about the cheapest gun to buy a barrel for, at least if it is a 12 ga. The 20 ga can be a little tougher as only Remington makes less expensive barrels for the LW and if one has an older model, the only option is Hastings if a pre-1977 and youu are probably out of luck if it is an LT model. Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods, Fleet Farm, and Sportsman's Warehouse all should have 12 ga barrels in stock. A couple of smaller shops that should have them or get one easily are Joe's off Rice and Hwy 36 in Little Canada, Wolf's Den off old Hwy 61 in Hugo, Capra's and Trail's End/Bass Pro off Hwy 65 in Blaine and Fridley, Gun Stop off Excelsior Blvd nest to the Glen Lake Post Office in Minnetonka, Frontiersman of Hwy 394 and Louisiana in St Louis Park, the Pawn Broker on Lyndale and 76th St in Richfield, and probably others I can't think of off hand. Gun Stop may have the cheapest and one might even be able to find a used one easy enough. Try Craig's List as well as the Frontiersman, they have a collection of new and used barrels in the store. Cabela's Bargain Cave frequently has 870 barrels around, the Owatonna store seemed to have many more than Rogers but that can vary too. Prices in there seem to be in the $150 range.
Mossberg produces a very good replacement barrel for the 870 and run less than the Remington barrel so you may want to keep that in mind too. Gun prices have gone up in the last decade and replacement barrels have kept pace too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I recently picked up a Mossberg rifled barrel for my 870 with a canteleveler mount and scope for 180.00 at cabellas. The Rem barrel was almost 100 more. I put a red dot sight on the barrel and have been able to get 4" groups at 100 yds with sabot slugs (low recoil ammo).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

depending on the distance you are wanting to shoot. I use my stoeger 2000 with Brenneke BLACK MAGIC short magnums for deer and they work very well, I have taken deer from 15-30 yards though, I hunt a pretty thick wooded area. I will tell you though I bought a limbsaver pad #10008. fits just right and you will not feel pain at all. If you use your stoeger I think you'll like your stoeger even more.