ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Cowboy Gun" with Ejectors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi,

I've lurked here from time to time to do research on various shotguns I'm interested in but finally, I have to join to ask a question.

Is there a cowboy style 20-22 inch barrel side by side 12 gauge with ejectors? I was hoping to find a nickel SPR210 in the 12 gauge 20-inch configuration, but can't seem to...also maybe the new CZ durango, but no ejectors. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I will not be doing any CAS so no rules for me.

Post subject: re: "Cowboy Gun" with Ejectors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Also, I definitely want a single selector trigger and a 3" chamber. I want a lightweight to tromp around with, plus I like the looks of the shorter barrel. I don't think there's any performance advantage to the 26" over the 20".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

you might have to buy the spartan and cut it down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

The stoger uplander has extractors but they only lift the shells high enough to remove easily. I am not big on side by sides and that is the only one I have. My over under has ejectors but then again you said you want a side by side so that comment is pretty much usless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Spartan (Remington imports it from maker Baikal) comes in 20". Got one. EAA used to import the Baikal double.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:09 pm 
Field Grade

My understanding is that ALL firearms used in CAS matches have to be PERIOD arms that were available PRIOR to 1900. I think the shotguns with ejectors comes AFTER 1900 so that would disqualify them from competition.

I could be wrong on this, but I think that's why you can't use a shotgun with ejectors.

Nala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nala,
The M97 Winchester and the M87 lever shotgun has ejectors. You may be right on the double barrel.

It occcurrs to me that the 87 would be a cool gun to bird and rabbit hunt. Boy, you would need to study the history of the gun because you would certainly get questions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:26 pm 
Field Grade

Red Cent, You are right about the 97 and 87 shotguns having electors. I TOTALLY forgot about those. My mind was fixed on double barrels while I was typing. Thanks for the correction.

Nala

Post subject: Re: "Cowboy Gun" with Ejectors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

We can't use ejector double guns because they didn't use them in the old West. Also, SASS Rules don't allow them. You are right about pre-1900 guns only with the execption of the 1911 .45 for "Wild Bunch" Matches. There are other requirements as well, way to much for a post here.

One problem with Cowboy Action Shooting..........it will make you buy guns and you will really enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

The question still stands: Is there a coach gun available with ejectors? Many of us do not care about SASS but we still like coach guns with short barrels. Is there anything out there??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:05 am 
Tournament Grade

I am not sure why you want ejectors but if you just want to remove the empties without using your fingers you need to go see a Cowboy match. The chambers are polished so that the empties come out with very little movement of the gun. Just 1 other point, the guns do not have to be from the 1800s, they can be modern equivalents. Copies of the '87 & '97 Winchesters are available & they already have coach length barrels.Hope this helps a little.PD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

PD wrote:
I am not sure why you want ejectors but if you just want to remove the empties without using your fingers you need to go see a Cowboy match. The chambers are polished so that the empties come out with very little movement of the gun. Just 1 other point, the guns do not have to be from the 1800s, they can be modern equivalents. Copies of the '87 & '97 Winchesters are available & they already have coach length barrels.Hope this helps a little.PD

I know and appreciate Cowboy shooters cause I am one, but that doesn't change the fact that a coach gun with ejectors would be a handy defensive shotgun. The ejectors would just eliminate one step in the reloading process for those of us who are not as quick as we once were. :D I just want all the goodies in one package; Mule ear shotgun, ejectors, 20" barrels, recoil pad, good wood and quality blue finish. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking . . . :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:49 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I believe you are thinking of "automatic" ejectors. My old L.C. Smith has auto ejectors. That's why I can't use it in the cowboy shoots, as was stated above. You might inquire about the Turkish shotguns made by Huglu and there's one other Turkish I can't remember. Also, Ruger has the Gold Label but I have never handled the Ruger so don't know if it has auto ejectors.

http://saberrivergunsmithing.com
Cerakoteā„¢ Certified Applicator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

SRG wrote:
I believe you are thinking of "automatic" ejectors. My old L.C. Smith has auto ejectors. That's why I can't use it in the cowboy shoots, as was stated above. You might inquire about the Turkish shotguns made by Huglu and there's one other Turkish I can't remember. Also, Ruger has the Gold Label but I have never handled the Ruger so don't know if it has auto ejectors.

Yes, ejectors, not extractors. My guns have extractors that lift the empty shells a little so they can be removed by hand. I want a mule ear coachgun with ejectors and without an automatic safety. I know it probably is not out there, but I continue to hope. I would be satisfied at this point with a coachgun with hammers that didn't have an auto safety. That is what the hammers are for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:46 am 
Utility Grade

I'm too lazy to look it up but does the CZ Hammer Coach have ejectors?

If you don't insist on a hammer gun how about the Stoeger defense coach gun or tactical or whatever they call that thing with the rails on it?

On the cowboy side, it is only the doubles that must not have ejectors.

Ejectors are fine on the 1887 lever, the 1897 pump, or on SINGLE BARREL shotguns. Everyone tends to forget about the singles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 pm 
Field Grade

For the original poster, this thread is several years old but it was my understanding that some of the Baikal MP210's have single triggers & auto-ejectors in a SxS. I haven't personally handled any of these so don't know if they need barrel trimmed or chambers chambers expanded for 3" or not, but it seems pretty certain to me that Baikal SxS within the MP210 line do exist with auto ejectors.

A coach gun with double triggers & auto ejectors is exactly the setup i have been wanting for some time too. However, when i look at how easy the action on my mp220 works after putting in some of David Bruschi's cocking levers in comparison to my IZH-27EM O/U which has auto ejectors but remains kinda stiff both opening & closing i am beginning to wonder if a bit of reaming & polishing could give my coach gun the same reload efficiency without the ejectors. I understand how my coach gun works somewhat better than how my O/U works thanks to a lot of articles around here about how to tweak them. And no, i am not a cowboy shooter, so i don't care about those regulations.