It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: whats a cowboy action shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

what is a cowboy action shot gun

Post subject: Re: whats a cowboy action shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:17 am 
The firearms used are limited to firearms or replicas thereof, of the kind produced before 1899. Handguns are limited to single action revolvers. Rifles can be either lever action or slide action but both must have exposed hammers and must be in “pistol” calibers. Ammunition for the handguns and rifles are limited to lead bullets at very moderate velocities.

Shotguns can be either double barrel (external hammers or “hammerless”) or slide action (with a hammer) of the types made before 1899. They cannot be larger than 10 ga. nor can they have barrels shorter than 18”. Shotguns are limited to “low brass” lead shot loads with #4 birdshot or smaller.

http://www.gunblast.com/JimTaylor_CAS.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:28 pm 
Field Grade

cowboys can also use the Winchester lever action shotguns,or their clones.Not many of 'em in use that I've seen ,but they are legal for our game.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I'd be curious to see Cowboy action shooting in person. Never seen it.

I've been shooting shotguns since I could ride a bike but have yet to see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:16 am 
Utility Grade

i think the term is 'martini action' like the gun that won the west lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Actually, only pump or lever action shotguns need to be of a 1899 or earlier design. The Winchester 97 is the most popular pump, and was produced original till the 1920's in 12 and 16 guage. Modern replicas such as Norinco are also legal. There is little advantage to a pumps because most courses of fire only allow loading a maximum of two shells at a time.

All side-by-sides are SASS-legal as long as you disable ejectors (or convert the ejectors to mere extractors). All shotguns are 20 guage minimum.

Rifles and handguns are .32 caliber minimum. Handguns are single-action only and must start with the hammer down on an empty chamber (check the new rules as they might allow hammer down between chambers if a 5-shot revolver has a positive lockup for a between-chamber start). Maximum 1000 fps.

Rifles are pistol-caliber only, pump or lever action. Maximum 1400 fps.
Richard
Schennberg.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Prediction: In a year or two you will see lots of the Chinese built replicas of the Winchester lever action shotguns in the cowboy shooting game. If they turn out to as reliable as they appear to be fast you will see the gamers switching to them in droves or maybe better called hordes The demonstrations of the two shot conversions of the original Winchester lever actions is very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:40 am 
Crown Grade

Clayslayer wrote:
I'd be curious to see Cowboy action shooting in person. Never seen it.

I've been shooting shotguns since I could ride a bike but have yet to see it.
i saw it once... me and my dad went to our local range one day and it was packed. there were about a hundred people dressed up as cowboys. they had all the pistol bays taken up and they were using steel plates as targets. i saw a lot of revolvers, lever action rifles, and short barrelled sxs shotguns out there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:26 am 
Field Grade

The 1887 Win clone shotguns are really coming to the market. They will not replace doubles or the 1897 Win pumps and clones. I have a new made in China lever action 1887 and you can not shoot it faster than a double or 1897 pump. But it is a really fun shotgun. Just got it and can't wait to take it to sporting clays range. It has choke tubes, a 20 inch barrel, recoil pad, etc. Some fast times have been recorded for the lever shotguns but not faster than the alternatives. Remember cowboy shooters can only load two rounds in their guns at a time. Pump action shooters mostly load one at a time as that is the fastest. Probably the slowest shotguns are the hammered doubles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:00 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Howdy,

I have to agree with most of the post above. The '87 will be popular but most of the top shooters will stick with their '97's and SxS's. The '87 Lever Gun will most likely become the darling of the blackpowder crowd for a time. :wink:

Most of of us that shoot Frontiersman (cap & ball pistols) or Frontier Cartridge (bp in brass cases) like to play with any and all guns that were produced before smokeless powder was introduced and the '87 fills the bill. I plan to get one as soon as possible myself if just for style points, but I wish they had longer barrels, say 26". With my bad back, I can't swoop down on a shorter shotgun to pick it up anymore. :cry: :(

I consider myself to be competitive but it still is just for fun and bragging rights.

If you want to see someone really good and fast too with a hammer SxS, watch the Classic Cowboy crowd!! Some of them are unbelievably fast! :shock: Solicitor General and Howlin' Mad Murdock are two names that come to mind locally, not many are quicker than them on the reload.

As an aside, there are a couple young men of about 17-18 years around who can pull and hold 6 12ga shells at a time in one hand and single-load a '97 pump gun without fumbling. I have big hands and can't do it. They are amazing and very talented with both destined to be World Champs in the future.

Come watch a match, it's a hoot!!! 8)

Safe trails,
CKid SASS# 23321

Post subject: re: whats a cowboy action shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

Take a look at www.mrr-gunsite.us, a club I helped found in Byhalia, MS. A really classic example of a SASS club and range.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:19 pm 
Utility Grade

this is cowboy action shotgun at it's best, and this is with a external hammer gun

http://www.spencerhoglund.com/files/Cap0010.MPG

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:16 am 
Field Grade

I don't shoot SASS, but no mater what I prefer a SXS. :wink:

www.levergunleather.com
www.gunblast.com/LevergunLeather.htm
Life member NAHC, NRA, HHH, TRCP

May your aim be keen and your shot be clean.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:59 am 
Field Grade

WOW! :shock:

www.levergunleather.com
www.gunblast.com/LevergunLeather.htm
Life member NAHC, NRA, HHH, TRCP

May your aim be keen and your shot be clean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

"There is little advantage to a pumps because most courses of fire only allow loading a maximum of two shells at a time."

You cannot load more than two at a time, but you can grab four in the hand and single load. With good hand and eye coordination, a double barrel shooter is something to behold. The 97 is easier to load.

http://www.spencerhoglund.com/worldrecords.html

For shot gun, scroll down to Open Shotgun. The look at the others. You wouldn't believe it if you didn'see it.

Had more fun in cowboy in the last seven years than anything. Well, almost anthing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:41 am 
Tournament Grade

richardschennberg wrote:
Actually, only pump or lever action shotguns need to be of a 1899 or earlier design. The Winchester 97 is the most popular pump, and was produced original till the 1920's in 12 and 16 guage. Modern replicas such as Norinco are also legal. There is little advantage to a pumps because most courses of fire only allow loading a maximum of two shells at a time.

All side-by-sides are SASS-legal as long as you disable ejectors (or convert the ejectors to mere extractors). All shotguns are 20 guage minimum.

Rifles and handguns are .32 caliber minimum. Handguns are single-action only and must start with the hammer down on an empty chamber (check the new rules as they might allow hammer down between chambers if a 5-shot revolver has a positive lockup for a between-chamber start). Maximum 1000 fps.

Rifles are <a href="http://www.pistolworld.com">pistol</a>-caliber only, pump or lever action. Maximum 1400 fps.
Richard
Schennberg.com

The Winchester M1897 was produced in 12ga from 1897 until 1957. The 16 gauge was introduced in 1900.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Cowboy action...
A American Tradition!

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

Post subject: Re: re: whats a cowboy action shotgun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Red Cent wrote:
"There is little advantage to a pumps because most courses of fire only allow loading a maximum of two shells at a time."

You cannot load more than two at a time, but you can grab four in the hand and single load. With good hand and eye coordination, a double barrel shooter is something to behold. The 97 is easier to load.

For shot gun, scroll down to Open Shotgun. The look at the others. You wouldn't believe it if you didn'see it.

Had more fun in cowboy in the last seven years than anything. Well, almost anthing.

Damn, that is impressive.

What is the most popular SXS used?

Post subject: Re: re: whats a cowboy action shotgun
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:44 pm 
Utility Grade

crowhunter wrote:
Red Cent wrote:

Damn, that is impressive.

What is the most popular SXS used?

There are a lot of guys using the Stoeger coach gun. I bought a Stevens 5100 SxS because I wanted to get into CAS and I like it a lot.
I got interested in CAS because I wanted to shoot my cap and ball pistols there but nobody else in my neck of the woods wants to compete with cap and ball. So basically I'm spending all my time reloading while the others are socializing. Sort of took the fun out of it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:58 pm 
Field Grade

There is one other thing that is overlooked...

It is perfectly acceptable, and legal to use a single barreled shotgun, and it may have an ejector. Bringing a single barrel to a match may get some real snickers and jokes about how you'll never win... I have to admit, I'm fairly fast with a single with a Shattuck Side Snap single barrel, and I think it surprised them pleasantly. Also, it helps me work a more action into a stages that are over far to quickly.

They laugh at my Spencer rifle too. :oops: