ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time to unlimber those black powder doubles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello All
This forum does not seem to be getting many posts recently. The bird hunting season is coming around again in a few short months and I still don't have my muzzle-loading double repaired and my kit reassembled. Time for me to get on the stick! I bought my first ML double in 1976, a Navy Arms Model 100. It had some problems, being a very early production gun, but I hunted hard with it for a lot of years. Even bagged a coyote with it. I had a witness, and I got a picture! I upgraded to a newer Navy Arms here a year or so ago, I got a smokin' deal on it, but it has a few issues also that I am trying to get fixed. I took it out for doves one day last year, but I did not have it shooting nearly hard enough. It is a much heavier gun than the old Model 100, and it needs more powder and lead.

Post subject: Re: Time to unlimber those black powder doubles
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:15 pm 
Crown Grade

I was just thinking, wow, a post in the BP shotgun forum!! I have an old Dixie Gun Works kit gun made by Pedersoli. They said it was an 11 gauge but a 10 ga. plastic wad will fit in the barrels. I had choke tubes put in both barrels. I am left handed so I removed the right handed cheek piece & put left handed cast in the stock which bent very easily. I don't know what kind of wood it is but it is some kind of hardwood. I must have got lucky because it fits me perfectly. I have shot mostly squirrels with it so far ( don't use plastic wads in it but have tried them). I am still working on load development but have been shooting loads from 1 to 1 1/4 oz.. I am going to try some of those nipples that take shotgun primers in an attempt to eliminate ignition problems. No. 11 caps work when everything is right but that can be a hassle. Bird season sounds like a good excuse to break it out!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:01 am 
Utility Grade

I was a member of a black powder club in Western Oregon where I lived from mid '80's to 2016. I dunno what happened to us, but by 2000 the range was under new construction, and it was no longer a friendly, relaxed place to shoot. We used to meet once a month, and we all got shotguns to shoot after the rifle matches were over. I used to put in my order for percussion caps and black powder every year and have it drop shipped right to the powder magazine on the premises. My powder always came in a 25 lb. sealed plastic bag, and I broke it down into 1 lb. cans myself. Now it seems you can't buy the real stuff anywhere. I guess we got old. Some of us died, others of us moved on to other disciplines, but I would sure be interested to start something up again. Now I am back in my home state where my bird hunting began 45 years ago. The birds are still there and I think I can still get up the hills okay if I don't hurry. There used to be a black powder club or two around here, I will have to search them out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

So, where are you now?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:04 am 
Utility Grade

Back in Idaho. We bought a couple acre place in the southwest a few miles from the Snake River. My old haunts where I grew up are a bit north and east of here, but have gone over more toward development. We are located at the very beginnings of the Snake River Canyon, famous for chukar hunting. When I was a kid I lived directly on the Payette River and hunted in the foothills from the house. Of course I did not know what I had at the time, and took not nearly enough advantage of the situation. I had quail, rabbit, dove, hungarian partridge, chukar, pheasant, wildfowl, and deer within easy walking distance before I owned a car. Now the turkey is reintroduced there, and they are all over the place, mostly protected pets on the many hobby farms with 5000 sq. ft houses. What a waste. The Owyhee mountains are my new backyard now. I don't know them yet like I did the country around the old home place, but they are wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am 
Crown Grade

I always wanted to hunt chukar but never had the chance. I am not sure my knees can handle it now but I would give it a go. There are not many game birds I haven't killed & some I did kill were pretty exotic. I have also never hunted ruffled grouse. I live in a relatively rural part of the SC Lowcountry. Hunting & fishing is pretty good & I am surrounded by WMAs. I have hunted pheasant on the west coast & in N. Dakota. This was in prime bobwhite territory in the old days. They seem to be making a come back. I can hear the roosters whistling in the clearcut behind my house. Like everywhere else, there are too many people but there are plenty turkeys, deer & wild hogs. Many people hate the hogs but I like them because I like to hunt them! Yea, I'm getting the urge to break out the old smoke pole. Oddly, I can shoot my BP SXS shotgun as good or better than any gun I own mainly, I think, because it fits me better! The game is here, I just need to get off my lazy butt & go get it! We never had to have deer tags until a few years ago but we do now. I got mine this week! Too bad we live so far apart, I think we would be good hunting partners. I usually wind up doing everything by myself!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Yeah Geo I copy that. The Old Man was a chukar hunter above everything else. He bought his last bird dog in the early eighties, she was a Brittany he bought locally. Somehow she understood that he was slowing down in his 50's. That dog could stalk a single chukar that did not flush with the group for a half hour and move 15 feet. When she finally went on point they were close and she wasn't joking. We knocked a big rooster pheasant down when we first started her at less than a year. She caught him and took the whopping of a lifetime in a very few minutes. After that if the wind ruffled a feather on a downed bird you picked up bird burger. Dad tried to break her from being so hard mouthed, and one day he lost his temper, held her collar and kicked her bottom around in a circle. She gave him the coldest look a dog ever gave anybody, and turned around and went home. Later that day she still wasn't speaking. He did not try that again, we just learned to put up with her bird eating quirks. They say every body gets one good dog, and Sheba outlived him. The chukar is one fine gamebird alright, well worth a trip out west. Closest I ever came to limiting on them was with my black powder double, I got nine.