ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SHOTGUN NIPPLES
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:10 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't know if anybody will even see this as this subforum hasn't seen much activity lately. How many of you BP shooters have tried nipples that use 209 shotgun primers & if so, do you like them & any complaints? I just spent over $200 on them. I got them for my Ruger .44, which is really .454 I think. Got one for my Lyman plainsman, & two that will fit my Pedersoli Kodiak or my 10 ga. sxs made by Pedersoli. I haven't tried any of them yet but am optimistic they will put an end to misfires & hangfires. The regular #11 caps work if everything is squeaky clean & there is no trace of oil but the only way I can be 100% sure the #11 cap is going to fire the load is to shoot it with at least enough powder to burn off any oil residue in the ignition system. Snapping caps is hit & miss. I think about half a molecule of oil is all it takes to cause a hangfire! After the first shot, they generally go bang everytime with BP but not as reliably with the BP subs. That has to be why in line rifles use shotgun primers!

Post subject: Re: SHOTGUN NIPPLES
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Black powder substitutes are an invention of the devil.
Use real black powder and your ignition is assured in any well designed firearm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, I got my BP nipples for my BP guns. A Pedersoli sxs shotgun I bought 40+ years ago from Dixie Gun Works, a Pedersoli Kodiak sxs .58 cal rifle, a Lyman .54 cal. Plainsman & a Ruger Old Army revolver. Yes, I agree, the percussion cap does work with BP, "PROVIDED" everything is just right. It doesn't take much to cause a misfire or a hangfire. Should you want to shoot a BP substitute, your problems with a percussion cap are multiplied. I use to use 4FG to prime pyrodrx & it worked but it also added an extra step to an already over busy loading procedure. I tried my new shotgun nipples with CCI 209 primers. They work great! I shot the shotgun with Pyro. CTG & ignition & patterns were super! I haven't tried the rifles yet but did shoot the Old Army revolver with Triple 7, which also worked great! I was afraid I might get some blow back with the pistol because the nipples for it don't use a cap but there was none! It shot nice! The only downside is with the pistol, the spent primers are a little hard to get out but I am told a little grease will fix that! That is a minor consideration compared to the fear of the gun going "click" when that monster buck steps into view! I am not buying anymore pyrodex after my present supply is used up but the new offerings of non corrosive alternatives are attractive. Triple 7 also works great! Actually Pyrodex shoots fine if you can get it lit. The problem is you can't wait long to clean your gun as it attracts moister like a sponge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:46 pm 
Crown Grade

geometric wrote:
I got them for my Ruger .44, which is really .454 I think.

Yes, the Ruger Old Army .44 percussion revolver is actually a .45, and so were the Colt and Remington .44 percussion revolvers, both original and reproduction.
Back in the muzzle loading days, the caliber of the barrel was the diameter of the bore before the rifling was cut.

Another good reason to convert to 209 primers is that #11 percussion caps became stupid expensive during the .22 hoarding years. You couldn't find #11 percussion caps either and when they came back, most of the big box retailers wanted $8.00/hundred for them and they haven't come down. I got a sleeve of them from Midsouth Shooting Supplies for around $4.75/100. You have to buy a sleeve in order to justify the hazmat fee.

That Ruger conversion, does it use a hammer with a firing pin on the nose?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:44 am 
Crown Grade

"That Ruger conversion, does it use a hammer with a firing pin on the nose"?

No, the existing hammer hits the primer directly. It makes a long shallow indention that mirrors the hammer, as you might imagine. Ignition has been very positive & ballistics seem to be enhanced!