ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: How many of you....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm ecstatic. I was willing to pay twice as much. It was #24 of about 90 guns and everyone was sitting on their hands for the first 23. Other than a couple of handguns, nothing was anywhere near retail. Also, I was # 24 registered bidder... a good omen!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

The Model 90 receiver was made from some kind of steel that didn't take bluing well. The ones I've seen and owned had a kind of purple-ish tint to them. This one appears to be perfectly 'blued.'

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
This one appears to be perfectly 'blued.'

I agree. I have handled three (1 M90 and 2 Rangers) in the last year and they all had the plum receivers to varying degrees.
This one is serial #A3xx so from what I can tell, it's 1944 vintage. Maybe the year makes a difference in the coloration?
I took the for end off tonight and there's no bluing in any of the markings or on the extractors so I don't think it was re-blued.
Also, the dings on the wood weren't there when I first saw it on Thursday but it probably got handled a lot before the auction. This might be a low usage original but I haven't seen enough other 90's to know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 pm 
Field Grade

Just 1 here. A Win. Model 12 full choke 1942.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:01 am 
Field Grade

I have a 1955 Remington Sportsman 48 in 16 with a Polychoke. It hadn't been cleaned in probably forty years when I bought it and it had a few feeding issues at first, but since I cleaned it and oiled it up it works perfectly. It's an absolute dream of a gun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I know that I am late in responding to this post but I am fairly new to the site. I have five 16ga guns at last count.
My first 16ga repeater was the Rem. M11 with polychoke that I still own.
Next is my Win M12 with a full choke barrel that I had opened to light modified which works great for hunting and sporting clays.
Followed by a CZ Ringneck SXS which started my love for SXS guns and now I have two LC Smith 16's, a field model and an Ideal grade which has become a favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There's a lot to like about the 16ga. It reminds me of Goldilocks' porridge, not too big and not too small, but just right for many applications.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lefever Nitro Special for which I made an English stock and true splinter fore-end. It's the favorite of my half dozen vintage SxS's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6