ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun fitter in PDX?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Anyone know or can recommend a good gun fitter around the Portland area? I need my Citori fitted for me and don't know anyone in the area who can do it.

NSCA #603848

Post subject: Re: Gun fitter in PDX?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Kal425 wrote:
Anyone know or can recommend a good gun fitter around the Portland area? I need my Citori fitted for me and don't know anyone in the area who can do it.

There is a stock fitter by the name of Stocker John in Oregon.

Don't have his contact info handy but you could go through Mitchells Clay target Sports to get his contact info. He shoots there quite a bit.

Mike

Judgement comes from experience
Experience comes from poor judgement

Post subject: re: Gun fitter in PDX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I'll do that, thanks! Is he any good?

NSCA #603848

Post subject: Re: re: Gun fitter in PDX?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Kal425 wrote:
I'll do that, thanks! Is he any good?

Sorry for the late reply. I was gone all last week on vacation.

I have never used him, but I have seen several examples of his work. It does look pretty good. He has had booths at some of the shoots at Mitchell's like the Oregon State shoot.

You might ask the folks that shoot at Mitchell's. He is always shooting there in their shoots.

The ones that I can reccomend are S & S Plus out of Polson Montana. I have used them and knowof several others who have used them.

Mike :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks ok Mike and thank you. :D I'm going to the shoot at Mitchell's in a few weeks so I'll make some inquiries. Is Stocker John really his name or is it a knick name?

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Kal425 wrote:
Thanks ok Mike and thank you. :D I'm going to the shoot at Mitchell's in a few weeks so I'll make some inquiries. Is Stocker John really his name or is it a knick name?

I think his name is John Fittinger, not sure about the spelling. He does bussiness as Stocker John. He'll most likely be their and may have a table set up.

Is that the memorial shoot?. I might also go down. but not real sure at htis time.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Howdy Kal

Also try Chic Worthing here on SGW as CUSTOMSTOX. Hes a custom stockmaker and if he doesnt do it im sure he could give you some names and recommendations.

Regards
MWAG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

dagrizz wrote:
Kal425 wrote:

I think his name is John Fittinger, not sure about the spelling. He does bussiness as Stocker John. He'll most likely be their and may have a table set up.

Is that the memorial shoot?. I might also go down. but not real sure at htis time.

Mike

Yeah, it's the Huffman one. I'm only going on sat. though. I wish I could do all 3 days but I can't afford it. Look on Mitchell's website, it has more details.

And Monkey, thanks for the tip. :)

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

You know, I'm kinda curious. I got to thinking after I just posted the last comment and I wonder how you can fit a gun with someone you have to mail it to?

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

MWAG,

Has CUSTOMSTOX been to the Portland gun show as a vender? That slogan of his looks like a sign I saw there once.

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I dont know for sure. But it wouldnt surprise me. You have probably seen it here for sure. Id PM him.

MWAG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:50 am 
Tournament Grade

monkey with a gun wrote:
I dont know for sure. But it wouldnt surprise me. You have probably seen it here for sure. Id PM him.

MWAG

I'm going to, saw his price list just now and it scared me, lol. I didn't see anything about a fitting on a current stock but I'll PM him to ask.

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:04 am 
Crown Grade

Courtesy of Google

http://www.customgunstocks.net/page0005.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Kal425 wrote:
You know, I'm kinda curious. I got to thinking after I just posted the last comment and I wonder how you can fit a gun with someone you have to mail it to?

In order to have your gun fitted, you will have to visit a gun fitter. It is not something that you can do "on line or via the mail".

In your other post you mentioned sticker shock. Yes it can get quite expensive real fast. But you won't know that untill you get fitted. At that point it may not be all that bad. All you might need is a minor tweek to the stock and you are on your way after a few hundred dollars.

But at the other end of the spectrum, is a custonm fitted gun stock. The one that I had done cost me quite a bit. When you start looking at all of the various samples of wood then some custom checkering or other ornate decorataions the cost can go up quite substantially.

The best thing you can do is to get a good gun fitting. Then you will have an idea of what is needed for your particular situation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tangarm wrote:

Hey, thanks! It never occured to me to try and google him. :D

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

dagrizz wrote:
Kal425 wrote:

In order to have your gun fitted, you will have to visit a gun fitter. It is not something that you can do "on line or via the mail".

In your other post you mentioned sticker shock. Yes it can get quite expensive real fast. But you won't know that untill you get fitted. At that point it may not be all that bad. All you might need is a minor tweek to the stock and you are on your way after a few hundred dollars.

But at the other end of the spectrum, is a custonm fitted gun stock. The one that I had done cost me quite a bit. When you start looking at all of the various samples of wood then some custom checkering or other ornate decorataions the cost can go up quite substantially.

The best thing you can do is to get a good gun fitting. Then you will have an idea of what is needed for your particular situation.

I kinda wondered about that, didn't make much sense shipping your gun half way across the country when they don't know what to do with it. I've heard of people flying in for the fitting and then getting the gun shipped back to them but I've seen some ads for gun fitters that says just ship the gun to them.

Yea, I got sticker shock alright, lol. In the back of my head I wish I could go with a full custom stock but their is no way I can afford it. I'm not to happy with my wood grain I have now but I'll stick with what I got for now. All I'm going to do for now is try and get a fitting done. I think the comb has to come up some (I heard the term 1/4 muttered when someone took a quick look) and I would love to put a recoil system on it. I think an adjustable comb would be best but I would hate to put all this work into the current stock and still not like the wood grain much, hence changing out the stock running around the back of my head. :wink:

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Moe at Shooters Emporium in Portland – he’s one of the best known and respected around

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:41 am 
Tournament Grade

I haven't heard of him, my friends probably have though. I hear stocker John used to work there.

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dan Mitchell will fit guns and give you the measurements if you want to send out your stock. The stock makers can also do a good job fitting.

I have stocks made by "Stocker" and he does a very nice job. I also have a stock made by Moe, which is also a nice stock. The advantage of working with someone locally, whether it is Moe or Stocker is they will get the measurements close and leave it unfinished. You can go out and shoot it and they will fine tune it before completing the finishing.

This way you get everything fit just the way you want it, including the grips.

Regards,
Ellen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you don't think you want to put the $$ into a full custom stock, there are some less expensive alternatives that might work for you.

To get a higher comb, you might want to try adding a "Cheek-Eez" pad. It is a stick-on soft pad that will cost around $25 or so, compared to around $100 or more for an adjustable comb. These are add on soft combs come in different heights. Mitchell's sells them in their pro-shop.

If you need to change the LOP, you can get your stock shortened and a new recoil pad installed for about $90.

For cast changes, sometimes the stock makers can bend your stock.