ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lead Ban in WA State
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There's intent to ban lead entirely in WA state. This is not a joke...

The Washington State Department of Ecology is holding two public meetings on the Draft Lead Chemical Action Plan (CAP) to get public input. One meeting will be held in Seattle, on the western side of the state, and one meeting will be held in Spokane, on the eastern side of the state. The Seattle meeting is on Sept. 16 and the Spokane meeting is on Sept. 18. The attached notice includes all the details.

The Draft Lead CAP is still available for public comment at http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/pbt/leadcap/

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/pbt ... eadCap.pdf

Post subject: re: Lead Ban in WA State
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you for the heads up. Skimming over sections in the report discussing lead shot indicates the possibility of a serious problem for shooters. The report is over 300 pages long and what I read makes only a case against lead. It also state that there are viable alternatives.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:38 am 
Tournament Grade

UltraMag,

Thanks for the post. You should also post this in the Hunt WA forum. http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php

I checked the WDFW for any word on this lead ban and I found nothing on their website. Probably should be in WDFW website as well since it affects hunters and fisherman.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chocolab,i just posted it over there as well,
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:55 am 
Limited Edition

I've already e-mailed my legislators and only two have bothered to reply.

Their figures are skewed to say the least. They want to get lead out of the environment, but upland hunters deposit the least amount of any group. Trap and skeet are by far the largest depositors, but those areas are often "mined" and the lead recycled.

Spread the word as far and fast as you can...

Post subject: Re: Lead Ban in WA State
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:54 pm 
Crown Grade

UltraMag wrote:

"ban" lead ???...
The description reads: <i><u>

This is the lead chemical action plan (CAP). It was developed by the Washington Department of Ecology (Ecology) with the valuable help of other agencies and representatives of numerous interests across the state. The purpose of a CAP is to 1) find out what the dangers of a substance are; 2) identify where the substance is found in the environment and; 3) recommend ways to reduce or prevent harm from the substance.
</i></u>

MM3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mokeman,
regardless of "descriptions".
I know personally,a gentleman who has been sitting in on these meetings for quite some time now,and the intent to ban is serious indeed.
The female leading this effort said she wants to surpass and lead Kalifornia in the environmental arena,not an exact quote, but likely very close.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mokeman3 wrote:
UltraMag wrote:

"ban" lead ???...
The description reads: <i><u>

This is the lead chemical action plan (CAP). It was developed by the Washington Department of Ecology (Ecology) with the valuable help of other agencies and representatives of numerous interests across the state. The purpose of a CAP is to 1) find out what the dangers of a substance are; 2) identify where the substance is found in the environment and; 3) recommend ways to reduce or prevent harm from the substance.

</i></u>

MM3

Read action item #9 - the elimination of all lead in ammunition – including pistol, rifle and shotgun as well as for fishing. They state that the military have developed and are using other materials for their ammunition and there is no reason for all ammunition be lead free. OH and at minimal cost to the sporting community too.

Does anybody know haw the public hearing in Spokane went last week?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been trying to stay on top of this issue as it has developed. I have contacted the local representatives and the Department of Ecology multiple times. Even though the DOE said that they had no intention of banning lead and that they wanted to work with hunteres, the ban made it to the final draft. Interestingly, I got an email from the DOE saying that was a 'mistake'. We'll see, but I got the feeling that the DOE was using a delaying tactic in their email responses. I believe that it is one of those cases where an agency picks a direction, pretends to want input, but then implements exactly what they intended to in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Update from the DOE
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/biblio/0807025.html
But don't believe what you read the proposal is still to reduce or eliminate lead per their plan
"Key Findings
In Washington, ongoing releases of lead occur from permitted facilities (allowed to release specified
amounts of lead into air, land and water) and non-permitted releases. Some non-permitted releases of
lead come from products, such as lead wheel weights, fishing tackle, ammunition, and other consumer
products. Actions that reduce lead use in products will also reduce the ongoing releases of lead. The
foremost method of reducing ongoing lead releases is to reduce or eliminate lead use. If there is no
feasible alternative to lead-containing materials, then releases and exposures should be minimized.
Recommendation #9
Decrease the use of lead in distributive products
Ecology should work with WDFW, other state agencies and stakeholders to reduce the use of the
following lead-containing products where the safer alternatives are available and there is exposure to
wildlife:
 Lead wheel weights
 Leaded fishing tackle less than 1 inch or 1 ounce
 Lead shotgun shot
These lead products are released into the environment during the intended use. There is some direct
exposure to humans, such as in the use of lead fishing tackle, but the major exposure is to wildlife.
Waterfowl are particularly susceptible to lead poisoning because of their feeding habits, but predators,
such as eagles, also have high levels of lead poisoning. Lead poisoning has been documented in many
species, including mammals.
Lead wheel weights are a significant source of lead released into the environment.
Lead fishing tackle is also a significant source of lead, especially in popular fishing areas. "

Just more double talk from a government agency

I have received two phone call surveys from the WDFW concerning elimination of lead for upland hunting in the State of Washington. Also, I had three other friends receive phone calls too.
It's just another way for the State to ban lead by survey. You know - the public's opinion tactic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 am 
Utility Grade

I can't remember the bill number at the moment but there has been an introduction in the Washington legeslature to ban all lead in shotshells. There would be no exception for skeet/trap ranges even though most reclaim the lead. The bill has made it through the first reading. Two of my three represenatives have indicated to me that they will vote against it if it reaches the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Here is an interesting twist to this action. A friend and fellow shooter had his Dr. test him for lead. He has handloaded for decades, crimped lead fishing weights with his mouth and even melted lead to make decoy weights. He figured he would be a good indicator if there was a problem. The test came back this week. Normal ratings are between 1 and 24 on the test scale. His lead level was 0.003. He sent the results to the DOE. Since this entire action is based on a South Dakota study of lead in hunting bullets being harmfull to hunters, it appears time for the state to rethink their reasoning. However, my contact with the lady in charge of this action leads me to believe that the DOE's collective mind was made up before their was a request for public input.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Update Now the WDFW
The WDFW is trying to ban lead shot for all hunting, including upland birds (pheasant, quail, etc.). They are burying this new regulation in the 3 year Hunting Season proposals, hiding it in the last year of the cycle, so it will come as a surprise to most hunters. The next logical step is to ban lead shot for target shooting as well. I urge you to send an e-mail or write to the WDFW to oppose this proposal. Their e-mail address is [email protected]. You can read the entire proposal and their comments on the WDFW website. Also, feel free to alert all your hunting buddies

Here is what I wrote, but I would suggest you make your comments in your own words:

All serious bird hunters I know are opposed to your proposal to further restrict the use of lead shot on department managed lands without specific scientific evidence that it impacts wildlife populations in those areas. Your own “Green Sheet” prepared by Mick Cope, admits “data are not sufficient to determine if lead shot causes population level impacts for species in Washington at this time.”

Also, your Game Management Advisory Council and Upland Game Advisory Committee are divided on this proposal. It is improper to impose this restriction when both the science is incomplete and your advisory groups are divided on this issue.

I also take issue with your survey results. Your question on the effectiveness of “non-toxic” shot was poorly worded. Yes, there are non-toxic alternatives that are as effective as lead, but these are costly, up to $38 for a box of 10 shells. Most hunters will still use steel shot, which is substantially less effective than lead, resulting in equally less effective results.

Thanks for your help,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Anyone wishing to correspond directly with the individual in charge of the assoicated action at the Department of Ecology can write to the following.

Heidi Davies
Department of Ecology
PO Box 47600
Olympia, Washington 98504-7600

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:42 am 
Limited Edition

Ban Lead?!

You know how many boxes of shells I still have left over from a sale my Dad took advantage of in 1979?!

This smells of those freakin' Californians!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE HOW THINGS ARE HERE, GO BACK TO YOUR OWN @#%#%# STATE!!!

Last edited by DeanMk on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:46 am 
Limited Edition

Sorry for the outburst, folks. That just really got to me (and I haven't blamed anything on the "tourists" in a while, so why not take advantage of that situation, too).

So what's the latest with this?

I know the state will pretty much "ok" anything that will help them generate money right now, so is this gonna pass, or is it currently in limbo?

Dean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

It went through, but in a less severe form than first presented. Starting in 2011 non-tox only in all phez release sites. Other state lands got a reprieve. Crab creek is gonna get scr#$%d. I have this year to really give the little birdies what for with lead.

Rob.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:56 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for the update, Rob.

Dean