ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good place to shoot a shotgun - Seattle area
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:00 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm having a hard time find a place to shoot my 12 gauge. It's a 18" pump meant for home defense, but I want to shoot it too. Most places only allow trap, skeet, etc.

I'm thinking plinking or targets would be fun.

Any ideas? King county or nearby WA.

Post subject: re: Good place to shoot a shotgun - Seattle area
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 pm 
Field Grade

If you just want to shoot your shotgun for shooting's sake, most places will let you shoot at their patterning board. My club (Kenmore) has one. Just ask the rangemaster and he/she will hook you up. Once in a while I see people with HD shotties give the trap range a try.

I know that Renton Fish & Game has one, so does the Seattle Skeet & Trap club in Ravensdale. I'm sure a lot of other places do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:47 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks!

We've been over to Renton fish & game and used their pattern board. One of the rangers let us take out some clays w/ his guns, they are really friendly.

I was thinking somewhere off in the woods. But I know it's illegal in king county.

Do you drive an E30 M3? I used to have a red one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:18 pm 
Field Grade

Sadly, I don't own an E30 M3 anymore. I had to sell mine a few months ago, but I plan to buy another in the future - they are awesome cars.

If you want to shoot out in the woods, my favorite spots are along Highway 410 close to the Green River area (Pierce county). There are logging roads on mile markers 72 and 74 (I think) that are open during the summer. I used to go there a lot with my buddies.

Post subject: Re: Good place to shoot a shotgun - Seattle area
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:58 pm 
Limited Edition

James,
As you may have found out by now, you really need to have a full stock on a shotgun in order to control it well enough to hit rapidly moving targets (i.e. trap and skeet). If, on the other hand, you want to shoot at stationary targets and want something more than a pattern board (usually a steel plate covered with white grease), then any rifle range will do (yes, they definitely will limit you w.r.t. what you can shoot at). But even a short barrel HD gun with a full stock can do reasonably well at trap with a little practice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Quote:
I was thinking somewhere off in the woods. But I know it's illegal in king county.

Actually, I recently did some research and found that target shooting is allowed on lands owned by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Just to be absolutely sure, I contacted the WDFW by email, and they confirmed that it's okay.

Some relevant links:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/public_conduct.html (Rules)
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=232-13-130 (Laws)
http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/ (Lands Directory)
http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/vup/index.html (Parking Permit. Very inexpensive.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Oh, and one more thing. Some areas (mostly those close to Seattle, unfortunately) require non-toxic shot.

Specifics: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=232-12-068