ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help for a move
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm 
Field Grade

hey yall if all works out i will be moving in that direction this summer with my daughter the job i find will be the main decider were i go but any suggestions would be nice we live in south fla and there are very few places we can go without crossing a NO TRESPASSING SIGN what places are left is swamp ..iam looking at ID ,MT,COL,UT,OR,WY

ANY SUGGESTIONS

THANKS YALL
FL craker
mark d.

Post subject: re: help for a move
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 am 
Field Grade

I've lived in UT and enjoyed the outdoor opportunities there, the management of public lands is pretty liberal, although I wasn't into shooting at the time so I'm not sure about the regs specific to shooting. It's the only place I've ever seen hikers, horseback riders, mountain bikes and motorcycles all on the same trail, nearly every trail outside of state parks is open to motorcycles which I found unusual.

Wyoming is a beautiful state, my in-laws live there. My impression is that you can do whatever you want wherever you want, fireworks are legal year round except within certain city's limits, I assume that responsible shooting is legal anywhere fireworks are legal. I've been fishing and camping in a few areas and never saw a single no tresspassing sign. Obviously there is private property, but there is so much BLM or Forest service land that it's really not a problem to stay off private property.

I live in Oregon now public land is managed a little more conservatively than I've seen in UT or WY but no where near as bad as CA. I have to drive further to get to BLM or Forest Service land that is not in a National Park or designated as a wilderness area or watershed. It's a nice state to live in though, people seem to be a little more down to earth and helpful here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:12 pm 
Field Grade

thanks kornphlake it looks like its going to be wyoming casper in fact as long as this job goes good any other word wood be nice

thanks bud and thanks yall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mark,

I spent many years in Wyoming, and have lived in MT, UT, ID, OR, and WA. I'm an avid hunter and fisherman and have traveled most of the above states extensively. If you love to hunt, then Wyoming is for you. You will have lots of pronghorn hunting along with mulies, whitetails, and elk. There isn't so much upland game, but the fishing and big game make up for it. Coming from FL you better plan on 8 months of winter and be grateful for the years when it only lasts 6. When it comes to public land and hunting, I don't think any state has WY beat. Forget about gardening and seafood though. Rob.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:50 am 
Field Grade

THANKS FISHNFOWLER just what i want to here i know iam going to freeze my ars off but after 40yrs of seeing my state go to hell i gotta do it .. it just kills me to see how thay have paved over and built condoes were i fished and hunted just 10yrs ago it is so sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:47 pm 
Crown Grade

I can't speak for WY, but the northwest is all about the outdoors. Just stay away from the I-5 corridor between Eugene and Canada... They don't like us gun types in these parts....

Post subject: Re: help for a move
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 pm 
Utility Grade

:D maddawg, I read your post with some interest. Good luck what ever or where ever you end up..It has been my good fortune to travel over much of the U. S. and some in Canada. Always on the look out for a better place to be than I am. Now especially since I have retired, and owe nothing. While Fla. only was my destination a time or two, I have looked over most of the good hunting country in the Western U. S. Tell you what I have found. S. Dak., Neb. and Ks. offer some fine bird shooting if that is your main dish. Being a shotgun site fan, I would suppose it is. Also they have very good deer, turkey, and varmit hunting. The fishing is mainly warm water, but with lots of variety. :) You do face the problem of much private land, but also many public areas to hunt. In your field, I would guess you would meet many farmers and be able to access private lands. As for the Northwest, Wash. and Ore. to be honest they are beautiful, but too much rain and too liberal for me. Idaho, Wyo. and Mt. All have abundant hunting, fishing, shooting opportunities. Idaho and Montana, far out class Wy. in the variety of fishing and game birds. I have friends in both, and if I get the chance, one will be my new home. :D I would say Mt. has the edge over Idaho for big game.
I have gone so far as to ask my Mt. pal for an area to move to. He suggested the Lewistown area. Good hunting both large and small game, and good fishing. When one runs down the list of game birds Mont. wins hands down. Idaho second. Wy. has more antelope, but I would sooner shoot ringnecks any day than antelope. Wy. is a real boom and bust state. While our boom usually hangs on a bit longer than the rest of the country, it goes bust and stays there longer. :?Also, althought there is an abundance of public land in these last three states, increasingly the hunting quality is slipping and moving solidly toward the private lands. Sad but true. Right now, if I could pick up and move, I think I would have Montana as number 1 and S. D. as 2. :D

Post subject: Re: help for a move
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 am 
Field Grade

guys yall are the best some realy good info thank you very much