ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beginner shotgun
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey I am looking for a reliable target shotgun for $1000. I have no preferences on brands, just that I would prefer an autoloader or an O/U. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Beginner shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Look for a new or lightly used Beretta 391

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Beretta 391 is a great gun for clay target sports. If you plan to shoot a variety of clay sports (skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc.), I would recommend going with a 28" barrel. If trap and/or sporting clays is your primary interest, a 30" barrel would be the ticket.

With your $1K budget, you might find a used Browning Citori, SKB or Beretta O/U but you will have to be patient. Be sure you check whether these guns have fixed or changeable chokes. Many of the O/Us you find at this level will be fixed-choke and that will make them less versatile.

Finally, if you plan to shoot very much, stay away from the low-end O/Us. There are some folks who will tell you they are great, but cheap guns are a crap-shoot, at best, and you will take a big hit if you decide to sell them or trade them for something better. For every shooter that has had a good experience with a cheap O/U, there are several who have experienced problems.

Good luck on finding the right gun for you.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd look at either a used Rem 1100