ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: whos from washington
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:11 pm 
Field Grade

Hi,
Im pretty new to the forum, but I wanted to find out who is out there and what side of the mountains are you on :D

Post subject: Re: whos form washington
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Re: whos from (form?) washington (Washington?) :oops:

Hi pbg, I'm from Vancouver, WA. Where are you from?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:40 pm 
Field Grade

HI Birdbrained,
I'm for mt vernon, up here in the Skagit Valley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:54 am 
hey guys Im in bellingham. if you wnat to get together e-mail me at [email protected] . I want to go to eastern washington alot this year and wouldlike some company. I hunt upland birds and a little waterfowl. let me know

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:31 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm new to shotgun hunting, I just got a rem 870 super mag and hit the clays on the weekend here near home(Battle Ground). I'm looking for someone to bird hunt with. Like I said I'm new to it. I was looking for a duck hunting club to join here in the Vancouver area, but no luck. 8)

IAR_3_75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:53 pm 
Field Grade

tjshaw00,
I like to hunt on the east side when ever I can, I have dog's and gear. I tryed to E-mail you but it didn't work. heres my address [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:32 am 
TriCities on the east side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:04 pm 
hey johnny G if you are up to hunting I would love to do some hunting in the south east portion of the state let me know my email is [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:35 am 
East side. South of Spokane.

James

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:43 pm 
Howdy fellas:
Im located in the Ellensburg area. Just as a heads up...upland hunting isn't always what its cracked up to be on the eastside of the state. There are great locations scattered around.... but unfortunately the pheasant populations here in the Kittitas Valley, and In the Yakima Valley are dwindling. Personally I chalk this up to pesticide application but thats a discussion for another day. On a brighter note there are large amounts of California Quail in the area. They seem to be adapting better to the changing ecology. Water foul seem to be doing well here as well, but they are migratory birds and I would guess they are less affected by agriculture.
I guess my point is do your homework before making the drive in order to avoid disapointment.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:49 am 
Presentation Grade

Hi Chris,
I live in Vancouver. You're right about the pheasants. They used to be thick around Othello too. I hunted there a lot in the mid 80's, and a group of us would get 21 pheasants in a weekend. Those days are long gone. Where are you finding your quail at? My brittainy loves to hunt quail.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:16 pm 
Mark
I have had a great deal of sucess in the last 5 years or so in convincing private land owners to allow me access to their lands. The majority of my quail hunting is done along fence lines and ditch rows bordering grain feilds. Any heavy cover bordering on a feeding area. My lab loves quail, i'm guessing they're really birdy and she can smell them from a mile off.
Quail are fun to shoot, great to eat, and there seems to be a large amount of them. In my opinion that makes for a great combo.
I'm going to try harder this year for chuckars... I've heard that the populations of these birds have been coming back strong recently.
Chuckar hunting combines our hobby with that much need cardiovascular workout we've all been meaning to get in :-)

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:45 am 
Presentation Grade

Chris,
Amen. Chukars will have you looking like Lance Armstrong in no time. I've been pondering going to the Snake around Asotin to hunt chukars myself. My Brittany's five years old and I haven't taken him there yet. Time's a wastin' as they say.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:50 pm 
Mark
Even at 5 years old I'll bet your brittany will make you swear as he runs up and down the side of those draws. I've heard that the upland hunting in the breaks of the Snake is still good. I can't seem to make it over there though.

For excellent quail hunting try the Sunnyside Wildlife Area in the Lower Yakima Valley. It is a bit crowed early in the season, but the pressure is mainly on planted roosters. After the first couple of weekends there are less people, and there are a significant number of quail in the brushy area's close to the river. Its about the best i've encountered on state lands.

The wife's family is from woodland and it takes us about 3.5 hours to get down there from Ellensburg. If you're in the vancouver area I'm guessing it'll be about the same up to Sunnyside.

My lab is going to be a year in October. She seems to be a very promising dog, but she is going to work my butt off trying to keep up with her flushing birds.

These little gripes are the true pleasures in life.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Chris,
I actually tried the Sunnyside area last year but the only birds I saw were next to the main highway. I must not have been close enough to the river. Is there a map of the best areas there? I'm pretty much clueless where to go. I've also heard asking for permission works there too, but the poor farmers must get hammered pretty hard.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Chris,
Better yet, if you're planning on hunting that this year, let me know when and I could meet you there, and we could give your dog a workout, and mine too. That way I could see firsthand where to go.

Thanks
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:14 pm 
Mark
I've created a map of the best areas to hunt. Unfortunately, it's quite large. If you'd like to send me an email ([email protected]) I'll email you back the map.

As far as private lands go, thats a hit and miss proposition anymore. I grew up about 5 miles from the area we're discussing, and so I have been able to gain access as a local.

However, those doors are shutting one by one as each year goes by. Just last year I lost a place when a new farmer bought out the old and stated to me that his policy was that the only thing hunters do is destroy his farm equipment.

For the benefit of the forum, I'll tell his story. This man owns a significant amount of land, in the order of 500 acres. He had in the past allowed hunting. Two years ago, during hunting season, some young men hunting his property decided it would be fun to shoot holes in his 4" pvc irrigation line, and some grape posts, and a few orchard trees. All in all created thousands of dollars worth of damage, and burned this man on hunters forever.

I tried to explain that I wasn't like that, but he wasn't interested. It seems to me that there are more and more stories like this.

It frustrates me to no end that a small number of individuals are destroying what I love.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree wholeheartedly Chris. You should read my post under shotguns-general (Anti's fire broadside shot- all hands!). An English woman published a commentary piece in the Oregonian no less, and has similar stories to tell, and is trying to ban all hunting. Not good.

I'll e-mail you for the map. Thank you very much.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:15 pm 
La Crosse in whitman county

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Chris, I forgot to ask you, are you required to use non-toxic shot along the river in the Sunnyside area?

Mark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next