ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to clean skull around deer antlers?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had the DNR cut the antlers off for me. They keep the heads here in Michigan to check for TB.

I got the fur and skin off the piece of skull below the antlers and now wonder about the best way to clean the tough tissue that hangs on like gristle. What I'd like to end up with is nice clean bone so I can mount the whole works on a board. Seems to me there should be some kind of liquid to dissolve the unwanted materials yet won't hurt the bone.

Post subject: Re: How to clean skull around deer antlers?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:47 pm 
Field Grade

get a kit from cabelas and you will be done in 30 min. or you can boil it and it will take all day.been there and done that 2 weeks ago.get the kit from cabelas and it is called european mount.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hoppes#9 wrote:
Had the DNR cut the antlers off for me. They keep the heads here in Michigan to check for TB.

I got the fur and skin off the piece of skull below the antlers and now wonder about the best way to clean the tough tissue that hangs on like gristle. What I'd like to end up with is nice clean bone so I can mount the whole works on a board. Seems to me there should be some kind of liquid to dissolve the unwanted materials yet won't hurt the bone.

just boil it for a little while, probably less than 30 minutes and everything comes off the bone. your wife might only let you do it in the house one time, but really not too much smell.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

just use a pressure washer.....we take them to the car wash and use their washers...works great and no boiling stinking up the house......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

triton21 wrote:
just use a pressure washer.....we take them to the car wash and use their washers...works great and no boiling stinking up the house......

dido on this on for me.