ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum sponsor

Gil and Vicki Ash OSP Shooting School

Post subject: Grip of Mossberg 930 Pro Sporting
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:24 pm 
Field Grade

Gil, I am thinking of buying this Mossberg. I need a 12 gal. for hunting and I thought why not this one as it can also be a sporting gun for me also.

I just noticed it does not have a full pistol grip but something closer to a Prince of Wales type of grip. Could you explain your reasoning in using this type of grip configuration?

Thanks, Doc

Post subject: Re: Grip of Mossberg 930 Pro Sporting
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Sure Doc

It does have a prince of wales grip radius because it is a hunting /clays gun or a gun for the whole family. This grip radius allows for a much more forgiving length of pull dimension by allowing for the trigger hand to slip back a little when wearing a coat or bulky clothing when hinting in cold weather. We have found that the more abrupt the angle in the pistol grip the LESS FORGIVING THE LENGHT OF PULL MEASUREMENT IS. Not many shooters know this and don’t understand why when they shoot in cold in climate weather their guns are difficult to mount. The 90degree angle pistol grip also leads to controlling the gun with the trigger hand and that is not good!! Hope this answers your questions and if not answer and will attempt to further clarify!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:19 pm 
Field Grade

Gil, I think I get it but when you have time I would not mind more. I have grown fond of the full pistol but I am willing to give this gun a try. I have used the full pistol or 90 degree grip for all target shooting for many years. Anything I need to do or keep in mind when I shoot the POW grip?

Thanks, Doc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Send me your contacts and will give you a call to discuss

[email protected]