It is currently Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum sponsor

Gil and Vicki Ash OSP Shooting School

Post subject: Straight vs Monte Carlo stocks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 am 
Utility Grade

Gil,

Which stock type is preferable for sporting clays, straight or Monte Carlo?

I see the Krieghoff K80 sporting has a Monte Carlo stock but the Parcours model has a straight stock. This has always been a confusing topic for me.

Any words or wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Post subject: Re: Straight vs Monte Carlo stocks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s all a matter of personal preference and how the gun fits you and how you want it to pattern. It’s not a one size fits all.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:07 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

General Rule

When looking at a person straight on nose to nose look at the shoulder line…. It will be horizontal or more square or the shoulders will have a gentle slope downward. The downward slope of the shoulders typically creates need for Monte Carlo as the shoulder pocket will be lower than the cheek bone when in a good shooting posture.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I’ve never heard it explained like that before, but it makes sense.
I recently moved to a Monte Carlo stock and I’m shooting better with it .
After reading your explanation and looking in the mirror I now understand why the Monte Carlo is working for me .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Nicely explained Gil. You can always be counted on for an intelligent answer, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gil . . I suppose the same would apply for a shooter with a somewhat longer neck than head on shoulders build?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:59 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yes on the longer neck

There are so many variables in stock fit it is hard to give absolute answers.

Change on dimension and 6-8 others change.

The one thing I can say in our research over the 30 years we have been professional coaches 95% of the manufacturers are stocking guns that do not fit the American facial shape. They are all to high and/or wide for 90% of shooters.

Anything with a parallel comb eliminates the ability to use ear muffs and will not mount naturally to targets elevated over your head or under your feet!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Gil Ash wrote:

Anything with a parallel comb eliminates the ability to use ear muffs and will not mount naturally to targets elevated over your head or under your feet!

I’ve read on numerous occasions about the high and low targets being a problem, but I’m struggling to understand why this is the case .
Could you explain that aspect please .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:39 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Blaser

The best way to understand is to mount a parallel comb level with the ground looking at a distance object mounting to the right of the object like a right to left crosser and note where your eye is relative to the rib.

Now mount to the right of an object high over head as if you were shooting a target off a 120’ tower and note how your eye is not in the same place relative to the rib.

Now toss a shell on the ground 3-4 feet in front of you and mount to the right of it as if you were shooting a target well below your feet and again note the placement of your shooting eye

Parallel combs are made to shoot targets in a horizontal picture frame centered ove a trap house…. Get out of that picture frame and eventually you will have problems.

Interested in your results pls get back to us!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:39 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Blaser

The best way to understand is to mount a parallel comb level with the ground looking at a distance object mounting to the right of the object like a right to left crosser and note where your eye is relative to the rib.

Now mount to the right of an object high over head as if you were shooting a target off a 120’ tower and note how your eye is not in the same place relative to the rib.

Now toss a shell on the ground 3-4 feet in front of you and mount to the right of it as if you were shooting a target well below your feet and again note the placement of your shooting eye

Parallel combs are made to shoot targets in a horizontal picture frame centered ove a trap house…. Get out of that picture frame and eventually you will have problems.

Interested in your results pls get back to us!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:12 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Blaser
Ooops

Like a left to right crosser