ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum sponsor

Gil and Vicki Ash OSP Shooting School

Post subject: Not to beat a dead Horse- Eye Dominance issue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:19 am 
Field Grade

Have followed your site, and have many of your videos, and am now really confused on this issue. Went shooting yesterday at SC range and towards end of round started missing pretty consistently. This was after warm up and initial round, 225 rounds,. Went in clubhouse and was sitting around and discussion of eye dominance came up. I have been doing gun mounts for the last month, 100 a day at least, flashlight , mirror drills etc. I am left eye dominant with a patch on left eye, and sitting in clubhouse did a test, because we were discussing with a newbie, did finger out straight and then triangle to demo to guy. Well my eye at that moment was right eye dominant , I almost fell over . I was overjoyed cause thought I had beat this dam thing.
Well, go home have dinner watch tv and get on computer, then sitting I did eye test again, left eye dominant again. WTH? I am 64, have fought this for years, tried shooting left handed and it was horrendous, so not switching shoulder. Question, can you have eyes who change dominance back and forth? I am ok with Left eye dominant have accepted it, but then this switching around is crazy. Am I crazy, your thoughts on this.
thanks Gil

Post subject: Re: Not to beat a dead Horse- Eye Dominance issue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:42 am 
Crown Grade

I am left handed & left eye dominate (most of the time anyway) but my left eye is not strongly dominate. Your dominance can shift if you don't have a strong dominate eye. I am not an eye expert but that's my take on it. Sometimes my right eye will take over dominance under certain circumstances but my brain knows when I mount a shotgun my left eye needs to be in control. I think it is governed by where I am focusing. I don't even think about it when I'm shooting. I wouldn't worry about a bad day shooting, everybody has them. Ask me how I know! An unknown quote (to me) has it, "If you are thinking, you are stinking". I think most shooting instructors will agree, don't worry about it, just be yourself and you will build confidence in time & your shooting will improve. From what you said, it sounds like you have the basics down pretty well. I am not going to repeat it here but there have been a number of good articles on eye problems like yours. You are not alone!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gil on his OSP site has an entire section devoted to eye dominance and training it. Definitely worth the subscription price for those with eye dominance issues.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:15 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

You can’t do the three bullet drill too much

Get in Knowledge Vault and send me your contacts and will take you on a tour and help with your confusion

[email protected]