ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum sponsor

Gil and Vicki Ash OSP Shooting School

Post subject: Focus point
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:45 pm 
Field Grade

I recently was shooting skeetwith an old friend. I was struggling with all the high house targets. My friend said, you are way behind. I went home and could not get this out of my mind. Then it dawned on me that I was seeing the lo house targets very clearly, and the hi house targets were a blur.

The next time I went to the club I wanted to fix this problem. I knew it was a visual thing. I was convinced it was not a physical thing with my eyes as I had just had an eye exam and all was good.

So I took my shotgun and went through my pre shot routine and did the whole shot, hi 2, but in slow motion, not actually shooting just going through the motions. This exercise made me think I was not pausing long enough once I got set up and was looking at my visual focal point.

I then get my friend and shot real targets. When I got to hi 2 I was a bit nervous. I find my hold point, then look at my focus point for maybe only 2 seconds, I called pull and it became very clear that I had found the problem. The target looked very much in focus and slower. The previous time they looked blurry and fast. I smashed hi 2, hi 3, hi 4, hi 5. I ran a 25. And I don't think in all my shooting it was ever been easier. I have been using hold points and focus points recommended in the KV, starting with the gun just off the shoulder and off my cheek.

I guess my point is without reading things about the post shot routine I had read in the KV I don't know how I would have fixed this problem. When I was thinking about it I knew it had to be something fundamental and has to do with seeing the target.

It would have been better to have been able to diagnose and fix it when it first popped up that day, but at least I fixed it.

All to say I learned something. I read in the VK it is important to learn something from your misses. I learned to give my eyes just and extra second or two to focus before calling pull. Which is all because of the efforts and expertise of OSP.

Thanks again Gil,

Post subject: Re: Focus point
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:13 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

You are quite welcome sir!!!

The KV is the largest single source library on performance with a shotgun in the world. Bottom line it is a 25 year case study of clay and wing shooting. While we were ahead of our time it is beginning to really take off and shooters just like yourself are realizing the value of the knowledge Vault. Encourage you to post in the forum you will get tons of great responses and there are no trolls in our site. We have new split screens coming illustrating the challenge move and the stroll move too. We just finished the first Advanced Diagnostic course for shooting coaches and it was a resounding success and are planing more in the future.

Just so you know many members are taking advantage of 25 and 50 minute consultations with us on skype FaceTime or cell phone so if you run into something you don’t understand ca the office and ask Becky to set up a time with me Vicki or Brian and we can get you through your problem. Also if there is something you can’t find in the KV let us be the first to know and we will find it or create it just for you.

Happy your shooting is going well and don’t be a stranger see you in the form in Knowledge Vault!