ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grandpas shotgun shells
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I am cleaning out some of my grandfathers gun stuff and found these boxes. I know I shot a bunch of them before thinking a collector may be interested. Some boxes are empty and some are full. There are a few duplicates not pictured. Just looking to see what the good dudes on this forum have to say.

Thanks in advance!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Grandpas shotgun shells
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I actually shot some of those, & variations thereof. I remember shooting ducks with "MARK 5" shells when they first came out & also the first plastic Remington loads "you could wash in your washing machine" & they were still good to go! The "MARK 5" shells were as good as any we have today. Let's not forget the shells that they put pictures on so we would know what we could shoot with them! Perish the thought of some idiot shooting a rabbit with a duck & pheasant load!!
All seriousness aside, I would take a look on ebay. They have all sorts of shotgun memorabilia that collectors are buying & selling, including boxes, hulls, posters etc.. I once found a loaded BP shell at a farm house that belonged to an in-law, years ago. I tried to shoot it but it didn't fire. I bet you could find all sorts of stuff in old farm buildings but I recommend getting permission first to prevent getting on the wrong end of one that will fire!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I looked around and all I found were empty boxes. Is a full box worth any more than an empty one?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not sure if they have special value, but I have some red 20g I took on trade recently. #5 lead. Boxes similar to yours. Brand and markings.

But among gun folk, they are conversation pieces. Especially when talking with other old timers! ;)

I haven’t had any good opportunities to use them for hunting since I got my 870exp/20 a year ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm 
Limited Edition

geometric wrote:
I actually shot some of those, & variations thereof. I remember shooting ducks with "MARK 5" shells when they first came out & also the first plastic Remington loads "you could wash in your washing machine" & they were still good to go! The "MARK 5" shells were as good as any we have today. Let's not forget the shells that they put pictures on so we would know what we could shoot with them! Perish the thought of some idiot shooting a rabbit with a duck & pheasant load!!
All seriousness aside, I would take a look on ebay. They have all sorts of shotgun memorabilia that collectors are buying & selling, including boxes, hulls, posters etc.. I once found a loaded BP shell at a farm house that belonged to an in-law, years ago. I tried to shoot it but it didn't fire. I bet you could find all sorts of stuff in old farm buildings but I recommend getting permission first to prevent getting on the wrong end of one that will fire!!

I still got about 500 3" once fired Mark 5 winchester hulls sitting in an old paper powder keg.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:10 am 
Crown Grade

Nothing really old. they are worth a few bucks but nothing special. Check the recently ended Ward's auction for similar boxes.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewc ... category=1