ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel O/U choke ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 am 
Utility Grade

I have inherited an old Merkel O/U. Trying to figure out the choke on the 2 barrels. I can’t decipher the hieroglyphics on the barrel. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0NFJDx4XafuzfjTp4IR6BwTmQ

Post subject: Re: Merkel O/U choke ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome! That pic is of the proofmarks; the choke markings will be on the barrel.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:55 pm 
Limited Edition

The great majority of Merkel O/U come from the factory as F/F or M/F.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:30 am 
Utility Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Welcome! That pic is of the proofmarks; the choke markings will be on the barrel.

Looked all over the barrel but see nothing except a serial number and “BOHLER STAHL” and “Weichlot”.

There is a “KJ” in the corner?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:50 am 
Utility Grade

The 156 in the pic I sent apparently indicates that the gun was manufactured in January 1956.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:50 am 
Utility Grade

Oh yeah, the barrel is 26” almost exactly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am 
Diamond Grade

Good on you for having a family heirloom, with priceless sentimental value, if that's how you feel about it.

My two inherited guns from my dad would garner little to no interest from other shooters, but to me they are to be cherished. One I never use, (but I think of him each time I see or handle it), but I'm going to make it a point to shoot a rabbit or two per year with it the rest of my life.

The other, I use as a back up, and make sure I hunt at least dove, one time per year with it; often saying to my self "that one's for you Dad" when I drop a bird.

Merkel O/U are great works of craftsmanship. I'd love to own one. They are known for tight chokes I believe.

I'd have the chokes measured by someone who knows what their doing, have it reamed for what's appropriate for your needs if necessary, and then use the HECK out of it. Cherished memories included.

I'd get a kick out of using that gun, wondering where and under what circumstances it had been used since the 50's; and by whom. Crafted during the cold war; maybe (likely ) used in Europe, even behind the Iron Curtain perhaps, taking game we don't have here, observing customs we don't observe here? Or was it imported and spent it's previous life in the USA? If only that gun could talk!

Enjoy! You have an absolute classic there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
Good on you for having a family heirloom, with priceless sentimental value, if that's how you feel about it.

My two inherited guns from my dad would garner little to no interest from other shooters, but to me they are to be cherished. One I never use, (but I think of him each time I see or handle it), but I'm going to make it a point to shoot a rabbit or two per year with it the rest of my life.

The other, I use as a back up, and make sure I hunt at least dove, one time per year with it; often saying to my self "that one's for you Dad" when I drop a bird.

Merkel O/U are great works of craftsmanship. I'd love to own one. They are known for tight chokes I believe.

I'd have the chokes measured by someone who knows what their doing, have it reamed for what's appropriate for your needs if necessary, and then use the HECK out of it. Cherished memories included.

I'd get a kick out of using that gun, wondering where and under what circumstances it had been used since the 50's; and by whom. Crafted during the cold war; maybe (likely ) used in Europe, even behind the Iron Curtain perhaps, taking game we don't have here, observing customs we don't observe here? Or was it imported and spent it's previous life in the USA? If only that gun could talk!

Enjoy! You have an absolute classic there.

The name engraved on one side indicates it was being made for a gunshop in Zurich. I know my father-in-law bought it in Switzerland in the early 70s.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Would anyone make a 20 gauge shotgun barrel that was 26” for anything but improved cylinder? Skeet?