Shotgun Forum banner

Receiver finish on post-WWII Merkel Model 8s

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  dbh1956 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I picked up Model 8 that I bought from Simpsons last week. Overall, I'm really happy with its condition. Serial number is 65666, which I am told puts it made in 1950.

One question is if anyone could confirm how the receivers were finished. Mine is spotted, not with rust, but with dark, shiny spots that look like they may have been some kind of black enamel or similar. These spots have a smoother texture and a slight edge or lip as compared to the rest.

I had read these were supposed to be color case hardened. Perhaps this one was at some point, but it's hard to tell. I'm not especially bothered, but I'm curious about how - or if - there's a way to clean it up without damaging the remaining finish.
20210322_210148.jpg
20210322_210201.jpg
20210322_210313.jpg
20210322_210215.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·

I don't have an answer but this is my 1983 Merkel also from Simpsons. it had a splotchy finish on the frame and was very dirty. Really powder residue and dirt in the action. I took it apart and rinsed it in some Ed's Red. I think there were remnants of a clear lacquer that washed off with the dirt.
For the price I'm happy with this 1983. There are stamped parts on the trigger plate but still better than a Stevens 311 that would likely cost the same or more. I want another like yours which to me looks more like a pre-war frame. What are the markings on the barrel and flats? Simpsons is addictive!

#3 ·
I am going to guess it is the remnants of the lacquer protective film they put on over the color hardening. It has been retained in some areas and may have some darkening due to accumulated grime of some sort. Although it may be some oxidation that got started. That is just a guess but its what I think happened. I would not try to clean it but just maintain with normal protective film.

You might try using some wax on that receiver VS oil to protect it. Good luck and IMO it will not get worse as long as you maintain the gun.

#5 ·
dbh1956 said:

I don't have an answer but this is my 1983 Merkel also from Simpsons. it had a splotchy finish on the frame and was very dirty. Really powder residue and dirt in the action. I took it apart and rinsed it in some Ed's Red. I think there were remnants of a clear lacquer that washed off with the dirt.
For the price I'm happy with this 1983. There are stamped parts on the trigger plate but still better than a Stevens 311 that would likely cost the same or more. I want another like yours which to me looks more like a pre-war frame. What are the markings on the barrel and flats? Simpsons is addictive!
I didn't realize that a lacquer coating was a thing. I'll add that I had just scrubbed the receiver with a nylon brush and some Rem Oil, which didn't do anything. Yours looks good!

I'll probably remove the stock and detail strip it for cleaning anyway, since I'm sure it could use it. I may start with something like naphtha to start and see where that gets me, then move on to lacquer thinner if it doesn't look any better.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
dbh1956 said:

Here are some additional pics of the barrel markings like you wanted to see. After looking closely this afternoon and carefully trying a couple of screws, I'm gonna hold off on full disassembly and the lacquer thinner cleaning. The main lock panel screw on the bottom of the receiver is so tight that it actually broke off the tip of a screw driver (yes, they were hollow-ground and fit well in the thin little slots). A previous owner had buggered up that screw head a little, so I'm gonna take my time figuring out what to do there.

I'm also not sure that this is the original fore-end. It's a slightly different color and shows more wear on the checkerinf than the pistol grip. The serial numbers inside on the latch are "close" but not quite. The numbers on the stock, barrels, and trigger guard all match (65666), but the only numbers on the fore-end are either 666 or 999 (depending on how you hold it). Is there any reason the fore-ens would have an abbreviated serial number?

Anyway, it's in very good mechanical condition, so it should shoot well regardless.
20210325_132202.jpg
20210325_132211.jpg
20210325_132236.jpg
20210325_135439.jpg
20210325_135457.jpg

Attachments

#8 ·
Very Nice! i bought the Brownells Thin Screwdriver Set. One comment there was buy two sets because you will break one. Screws in mine were surprisingly loose considering how much dirt was in it. My Merkel also has just the last 3 digits on the forend iron. Very interesting markings on your shotgun. Haenel is a well known maker. Mine has Gebruder Merkel on the barrels only. The 4 circles - is that Krupp Steel or? 1950 so maybe some parts leftover from before and during the war. Your shotgun has a Pommel or Prince of Wales (POW) style grip too i think is what its called, really nice.

#9 ·
Interesting that your fore-end also has only 3 digits. I presume the last 3? Perhaps mine is the original after all. I like the POW grip, too. It was one of the things that grabbed my attention. For some reason, I think straight grips or POW look most appropriate for doubles. Regular pistol grips with a grip cap or flat bottom just look weird, even though it's common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.