ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My new Merkel 147
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I finally traded for my dream shotgun.

Sorry for the blurry shots. It was so hot and humid here that pictures were very difficult.

I would like to add a leather covered butt pad. Is there anybody that can make one without having the whole gun? I figure not, so which pad is best to use to make my own?

If anyone knows of a pad that will have correct hole spacing for me that would be great. Otherwise, I would like a pad that would be suitable for me to drill my own spacing holes. I don't want to drill this stock.

Post subject: Re: My new Merkel 147
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Lovely wood. What city in Northwest Alabama might you be located?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Great looking gun. I really admire that. Congratulations.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:54 am 
Crown Grade

Beautiful gun!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:26 am 
Tournament Grade

ellenbr
I'm in Winston county

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think I got a great deal on this one. Asking price was $2500. Not being a rich man, I begged and pleaded (not really, but I would have if I thought it would have helped) until I made a deal to trade a 686 SP1 20ga and $1200.

Several times I thought the deal was a bust, but somehow it worked out. I did go through an FFL so I don't think there was anything shady about the deal. I drove 4.5 hours one way and met the guy at his FFL.

It was a strange deal. The guy was supposed to call me and give me a contact number before I left. He never called and all during the drive, I couldn't get in touch with him. I figured he would be a no show after such a long trip, but it turns out that he just wasn't great on communication. He was waiting at the FFL. I'm so glad I took the chance and made the trip anyway.

There's not a scratch on the gun. It's as new looking as a used gun could get.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:38 am 
Diamond Grade

As nice as the condition is, I'd contact Merkel USA, who is supposed to have some proper German gunsmiths. They are in Bessemer, Alabama. By the way my parents too are from the County of Winston, Alabama, which all but succeeded Alabama when Alabama succeeded from the Union. Actually I was down that way yesterday on a jaunt to Hamilton.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Awesome fowler. Awesome deal.
Congrats!
12ga? Bbl length?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 am 
Tournament Grade

uplanddan wrote:
Awesome fowler. Awesome deal.
Congrats!
12ga? Bbl length?

Sorry about the lack of specs. It is 28" barrels,fixed chokes,and choked IC and M. Just about perfect for me, and I don't mind the lack of adjustable chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

Can't beat that German engineering. what a beautiful double.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

:shock:

Wow! What a nice shotgun. I wish I could find something like that at a price I could afford.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Awesome find with that lumber!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:19 pm 
Field Grade

Beautiful! I just bought one from Simpsons Ltd. this afternoon. Not nearly as nice as yours, though. Wanna trade ... again?[WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

I will have to say ditto to the statement that it is a beautiful gun. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine, which is a different configuration but same great German craftsmanship. My ex wife went into a conniption fit when she thought I paid $10,000 for it, which was the late 1960's retail for a 147 sle. I was going to tell her the truth but since there was no working out a fair equitable divorce with somebody that vengeful, I never told her I got it as NOS for half that in 2006 or there about. Another reason I got a deal & why I bought it is because it had the tighter chokes designed for lead, which is what I wanted. They have been great for wild flushing N. Dakota pheasant. (also great with bismuth on ducks & pheasant)
I am already shotgun poor so I can't say I really need another one but I would love to have one like yours in 16 ga.. I can only hope!! BTW, you have me beat in the wood department! Very nice!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow! What a beauty! Looks like it's in pristine condition too. Is the game scene the same on both sides?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:47 am 
Crown Grade

Everybody likes nice stuff & I'm no exception but you have to shoot a great double gun to become aware of their true beauty. Their superb handling qualities, design & functionality is what really sets them apart. You can spend fortunes on a gun & still not get those qualities. The first time I shot mine, I felt like I had been shooting it all my life & in effect I had. It handles just like a fine vintage SXS should handle. I've been shooting guns like that my entire life. I was exceptionally lucky as mine fit me perfectly out of the box except for a little adjustment in cast. (I'm left handed) Like they say, the proof is in the pudding!