ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: J.P. Sauer & Sohn 1919
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:59 am 
Diamond Grade

So it is a misnomer:

"As I said mathematically 18mm calculates to a 13ga. I do not know if they produced a gun with a misnomer of 18mm similar to the 14mm & 12mm for the 32 & 410 or not. It could of course simply be a 12ga with an undersize bore. Nominal bore for the 12 in metric is 18.5mm."

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb ... Post334556

So the misnomer is the reason for the flats being stamped 14mm instead of a bore designation(diameter of lead spheres to the English pound).

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:06 am 
Diamond Grade

Ah, I was it was the 13mm Sauer & Sohn chambering of which I was thinking:

Tell - Tellbüchse I - V - Price

Tell - Tellbüchse I - IV - Patron or Cartridge

Ah, there's the date, 1907, & the source.
Tell - Tellbüchse V - Patron or Cartridge
From your verbiage this is yours - 9.3X57R(360) - 9.3mm diameter, 57mm long - Rand-rimmed, based on 360 BPE - British Black Powder Express - Express after Purdey's comparison to the British Express Trains.

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthre ... ber=385692

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Raimey,

This is definitely a Pre War Quality J.P. Sauer & Sohn's good Box Lock gun, with 2 set of Barrels. Well worth adding to anyone's collection, however I see no Krupp ident on the Barrels. This is very strange to me, can you shed any light on this?

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:00 am 
Diamond Grade

Dave:

I think due to the daintiness of the small bore tubes, the advertising for the tube steel had to be on the underside of the tubeset & forward of the forend hanger. These both are indeed 3 Ringe Krupp Weapons Grade Steel(Special Gewehr Lauf Stahl).

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Nice looking J.P. Sauer Box Lock double gun, and with the 20 & 28 gauge barrels and individual fore-ends a real nice German bird gun. I only wish it was a J.P. Sauer Best Side Lock!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

A real nice J.P Sauer & Sohn Best Box double gun. I am just not sure after looking closer. A beautiful 2 Barrel set, would be proud to have it in my gun collection, even though I own very few Box Lock double guns. I hope the lady who owns it, is a bird hunter and realizes what she owns.

Owning a Pre War Best side Lock J.P. Sauer & Sohn's 16 gauge Grouse gun myself, this gun interests me very much. Would definitely like to know the engraver of the gun for sure. Sense Raimey identified the Krupp Barrels this gun would definitely be worth owning. I like the 28/20 combo guns very much, owning a pre war J.P 28/20 Combo Gun would be fantastic. Looks to be a great little German high grade combo Grouse gun.

Raimey are the Gold circles with the lines, on the sides of this gun cocking indicators, for this type of Box Lock double gun? To me they sure look like it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:23 am 
Utility Grade

This set is in a different league than the often heard “ my j p sauer best pre war sidelock “.
There are some very high grade early Prussian sidelocks around, but this Meisterwerk 20/28 gauge set is incredibly rare and has all the highest grade attributes. Your 16 ga sidelock “ best” is not an unusual gun, .... more aligned with a Manhattan Arms or VL&D knockabout Sauers than this Meisterwerk. A true German “ best” gun goes far beyond an unadorned , although well made sidelock.
No offense meant, but this set is indeed very special.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:

Raimey are the Gold circles with the lines, on the sides of this gun cocking indicators, for this type of Box Lock double gun? To me they sure look like it.

It appears that the >>blade indicators<< are gold washed? Not often seen for sure.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Voodoo,

No offense taken, this particular gun is very nice, however it is a simple box lock gun, not a Best Side Lock gun. Although this gun is very very nice in reality it is not a best Side Lock German gun, no matter when it was made who who made it, the great engineering on this gun happens to be the Krupp barrels, both 20 and 28 gauge as indicated by Raimey. As I said before I would still love to own it. I own a couple Box Lock Combo Guns, and use them quite a bit, especially with the 28 barrels. There is nothing unusual about a J.P. Sauer Best Side Lock double gun, it's just very high grade engineering including the incredible Krupp Barrels, simply one of the Best made SXS Double guns ever produced. There has never been and never will be, a box lock best double gun, no matter who made it or when, the engineering is just not there to make it a best gun. Even the Westley Richards box lock or the LeFever box lock fine double guns, as much as I love them both, are not best guns, and neither is the nice combo gun we are talking about.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man