ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel 147E Forend Install/Removal Question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:05 am 
Utility Grade

I got my first nice SxS shotgun recently and I’ve noticed that it is difficult to install and remove the forend from the assembled gun. It feels like it’s compressing a spring and has to be pushed on and pulled off with more force than I like. Is it normal, is something wrong? YouTube videos of other shotguns seems like the friend snaps on with little to no effort.

Post subject: Re: Merkel 147E Forend Install/Removal Question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:52 pm 
Utility Grade

I played with it some more today and it appears like it’s just tight fitting. Everything works as expected.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:10 pm 
Crown Grade

The gun's hammers should be cocked before you install the forend. You probably already knew this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Merkel clearances are notoriously tight. I have three Merkel side by sides, still waiting for them to get a bit looser!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:34 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a Merkel 47 sle. Those guns are built to very close tolerance. I always put the gun up with the springs in the uncocked position. I could use snap caps but I usually use a piece of wood held in front of the firing pins with the receiver separated from the barrels. Then I dry fire the firing pins into the wood block.
I haven't noticed a significant difference in the effort required to assemble & disassemble the gun with the springs cocked or uncocked. Sounds like you got it but as already stated, they are tight. My gun is a side lock. I am not sure if they are different than the box lock guns or not. Enjoy your gun, I hope you like yours as much as I like mine!
PS: One thing I have done in the past was to use a soft piece of wood or anything that won't mar the finish, to gently & carefully pry the forearm from the barrels. I am not a gunsmith but I would not use a lot of force. Since you got it off already, you probably have a pretty good feel for how much leverage it takes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:35 am 
Tournament Grade

My 280EL was so tight I couldn't figure out how to get it together upon its first arrival. I was afraid i was going to break the splinter fore end. I called Merkel USA and spoke to someone in customer service. He recommended putting the splinter fore end on with the gun cracked open slightly. That method worked. After putting a few hundred rounds through the gun it is still extremely tight but much better than when brand new.