ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sauer & Sohn, Suhl 16ga information
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:19 pm 
Utility Grade

recently acquired this one, and am having trouble finding any information other than the 9/25 manufacture date. any information is appreciated. i know its a 16g, 29 1/2' barrels, and chambers were bored out to 2 3/4'

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Sauer & Sohn, Suhl 16ga information
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

The >>H<< on the bottom of the aft lug & the Raptor on the sides of the frame point to a Modell Habicht. Too it has either a >>Shooting Performance<< or >>Quality<< Crown on the left flat.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=196980

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=370585

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:09 pm 
Utility Grade

ellenbr wrote:
The >>H<< on the bottom of the aft lug & the Raptor on the sides of the frame point to a Modell Habicht. Too it has either a >>Shooting Performance<< or >>Quality<< Crown on the left flat.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=196980

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=370585

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

thank you. i understand habicht is a low grade gun, but still a well built gun. I'm assuming, with the nitro proofs, and 2 3/4" chambers, I should have no issue shooting modern light loads. what do those other proof marks mean, ie the shooting performance or quality one(s). also, the gun has been restocked, with a very nice piece of lumber. that is not of major concern to me as it will be a shooter.
do any of these proofs indicate chamber length (change?) or choke for each barrel
Also, what date constitutes pre-war for these Sauer guns? 1914? or 1939?
thanks again, a lot of great info here

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

RST loads should suffice. The Shooting Performance Crown is not a bona fide Proofhouse mark, but a Sauer internal process mark of sorts. If indeed a Shooting Performance Crown, then it just means that it was patterned @ the Sauer range. If a Quality Crown, then it meets the Sauer quality standards.

A Crown over W notes there is constriction, but both constriction and choke have to be measured. Look on the extractors and see if a >>70<< is present.

Pre War typically suggest Pre-WW II.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

How do you know the chambers were bored out to 2 3/4? Were they measured? Was the change in chamber length documented?

I don't see either 65 mm or 70 mm stamped on those barrel flats or on water table which is why Raimey asked if 70 was stamped on the extractors / ejectors.

1925 is a transitional period before 2 3/4 inch shotgun chambers became more of a standard. And 16 gauge chambers stayed than 2 3/4 inches for a longer time than 12 gauge, especially in Europe.
And the ammo of that era was paper hulls and felt wads -- the guns typically had rather short abrupt forcing cones.

I'd probably stick with the 2 1/2 inch low pressure ammo sold by RST and others rather than modern 2 3/4 shells as Raimey has suggested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:54 pm 
Utility Grade

simslax wrote:
How do you know the chambers were bored out to 2 3/4? Were they measured? Was the change in chamber length documented?

I don't see either 65 mm or 70 mm stamped on those barrel flats or on water table which is why Raimey asked if 70 was stamped on the extractors / ejectors.

1925 is a transitional period before 2 3/4 inch shotgun chambers became more of a standard. And 16 gauge chambers stayed than 2 3/4 inches for a longer time than 12 gauge, especially in Europe.
And the ammo of that era was paper hulls and felt wads -- the guns typically had rather short abrupt forcing cones.

I'd probably stick with the 2 1/2 inch low pressure ammo sold by RST and others rather than modern 2 3/4 shells as Raimey has suggested.

To tell you the truth I don’t know. I was told by the guy I bought it from, seemed like an honest guy and has hunted it with 2 3/4 shells and it looked like he had all his digits.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:50 pm 
Field Grade

What a nice looking German gun. Weidmansheil!