ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re: Sporting clays near L.A.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:51 am 
Limited Edition

Zeede

[Um...what? It's 60 miles from Huntington Beach to Newhall.

Of course you would have to go up the 405 and that's a 3 hour drive on any normal day]

I wasn't thinking of driving there from Huntington Beach, I was thinking of stopping off on my way to Huntington Beach. That's why my initial question was how far off the freeway, after you get down off the grapevine? If it's not too far, just my wife and I might be able to squeeze in a stop there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Let me try again .. maybe I phrased my 2nd question poorly ... After I come down out of the Tehachapis ... I think the first community is Santa Clarita .. how far (timewise) is Oak tree from I5 .. and what exit would I take off I5 ... again this is unrelated to my initial question of what facility is close to Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OK, it's only minutes from Santa Clarita on the I5. It's in Newhall which is immediately South of Santa Clarita/Valencia. Here's the exact directions:

Take I-5 South to Calgrove Exit
Turn right on Calgrove, which turns into The Old Road going south
Take The Old Road south (don't turn right on to The Old Road north) to Weldon Canyon
Turn right on Weldon Canyon (over the I-5) to North Coltrane Ave
Turn right on North Coltrane Ave to OTGC

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:16 am 
Limited Edition

Rastoff ... thanks... when you are not familiar with the area ... looking at maps and reading directions can be less than adequate if the concern is time .. not relative distance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When are you coming down? It would be fun to meet up with you if possible.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I agree with the comments about Oak Tree. The sporting stations are real fun. Some are a challenge even for the expert (not me), but I had fun just the same.

Post subject: Re: re: Sporting clays near L.A.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rastoff wrote:
OK, it's only minutes from Santa Clarita on the I5. It's in Newhall which is immediately South of Santa Clarita/Valencia. Here's the exact directions:

Take The Old Road south (don't turn right on to The Old Road north) to Weldon Canyon

Above directions are right-on, but I'd like to add that the Old Road is 4 lanes when you exit from the I-5 and is a divided hwy for the 1st mile as you go south on it. It will reduce in size to undivided 2 lane road just before you need to make the right turn onto Weldon, which is just at the top of the incline. Note the Old Road parallels the I-5 and passes under it as you go south. Weldon is more-or-less just a bridge that crosses over the I-5 freeway and that the right turn onto N. Coltrane is the only direction that you can turn. So getting lost isn't likely for someone going to Oak Tree the 1st time. Oak Tree range is through the gates at the end of the road and down a steep slope to their parking lot. They have a small snack bar at Oak Tree, but the exit before Calgrove (Lyons Ave.) has one of each burger chain plus several other restaurants.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:12 pm 
Utility Grade

If you're coming from Orange County, Triple Bs is by far your best best. Oak Tree is very nice and very far, Raahague's is very nice and very hot. Triple Bs has its quirks but its close, cheap enough, and the weather stays mild.

Post subject: Re: Sporting clays near L.A.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:16 am 
Crown Grade

Sporting Clays in the Los Angeles area:

Say what you want about So. Cal. We’ve got restrictive gun laws, we’ve got earthquakes, we’ve got wildfires, we’ve even got “The Terminator” for our governor, but we do have 4 Sporting Clays ranges in the Los Angeles area.

Each of them holds their monthly shoot on a different weekend. Each of them has something different to offer, all are fun to shoot, and all are open to the public.

Triple B Clays is located in El Monte off of the 60 near the 605. It’s a 24 station flat course, in a heavily treed setting. They have 12 hunter stations, and 12 tournament stations, all have “A” & “B” shooting position. Their monthly shoot is on the first Sunday of the month. http://www.triplebclays.com

Raahauge’s is located in Corona off of the 91 between the 71 and the 15. It’s a semi-flat course set in the Prado flood plane. They keep adding new stations and new machines all the time. Their monthly shoot is on the second Sunday of the month. http://www.raahauges.com/

Moore-N-Moore is located in San Fernando off of the 210 near the 118. It’s a great course with hills and valleys in the San Gabriel Mtn foothills. They have 12 stations, 10 of them have “A” & “B” shooting positions. They really are “The friendliest range in southern California”. They hold their monthly shoot on the third Saturday of the month. http://www.moorenmoore.com

Oak Tree is located in Newhall off of the 5 near the 14. They have some of the most spectacular views on a sporting clays course anywhere. http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/ (Call before going)

Prado Olympic Shooting Park is located in Chino off of the 71 near the 91. They offer trap, skeet & 5-stand. http://www.shootprado.com/

All of these places offer public shooting so don’t wait until they hold their monthly shoots. Contact the clubs directly for more information.

If you live in Los Angeles and you can’t find a place to shoot, you’re not looking hard enough.

Here’s a link to my website. I’ve got pictures & reviews of the clubs:

http://www.ysr-racer.com

Post subject: Re: re: Sporting clays near L.A.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

leftieD wrote:
Rastoff wrote:

Above directions are right-on, but I'd like to add that the Old Road is 4 lanes when you exit from the I-5 and is a divided hwy for the 1st mile as you go south on it. It will reduce in size to undivided 2 lane road just before you need to make the right turn onto Weldon, which is just at the top of the incline. Note the Old Road parallels the I-5 and passes under it as you go south. Weldon is more-or-less just a bridge that crosses over the I-5 freeway and that the right turn onto N. Coltrane is the only direction that you can turn. So getting lost isn't likely for someone going to Oak Tree the 1st time. Oak Tree range is through the gates at the end of the road and down a steep slope to their parking lot. They have a small snack bar at Oak Tree, but the exit before Calgrove (Lyons Ave.) has one of each burger chain plus several other restaurants.

Edited to include the following:

If you are coming south on Hwy 14 from Palmdale, then the shortest directions to Oak Tree are as follows.

Exit the 14 at Newhall Ave (may be marked as San Fernando Road on old maps)
As soon as you are off the offramp you will turn south (left) on Sierra Hwy. This parallels the 14 for some distance.
Then at the signal where Sirra Hwy tees into the Old Road, turn right.
Pass under the freeway and continue up the hill to the top and turn left onto Weldon.
Same directions as above from this point on.

- Ben Franklin