ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retire in Wyoming ????
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's 10 years off but want to look for som property to buy in the next few years. Would like to hunt deer, elk, etc upland game too, both on my own property and others. Is Wyoming a good place to live ? How are the taxes, laws, etc....Pro's ? Cons ? Would Montana, Idaho, S. Dakota be better ?

Thanks,

Gary

Post subject: re: Retire in Wyoming ????
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 am 
Field Grade

No WY income tax but the state and local governments are not nearly as fiscally conservative as they used to be.

Not sure what they have been doing with all the oil & gas revenues but property taxes are higher than they should be as well as hunting licenses and auto licenses.

Food prices are high as well.

I would look at MT before WY.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Winters are coooollllldddd in Wyoming. Montana has gotten ridiculously expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes...but I want to get away from people.....want small towns with no traffic and maybe live 20 minutes out of town. Also, got to be a gun friendly area as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:20 am 
Field Grade

SAME HERE GUYS want to move out that way in a year or 2 i am a top diesel tech and i have looked into jobs thay are plenty.. but my daughter and me need some space away from the crowds seems like south FL is getting every other states outcast down here we have no were to go to get away anymore ant word would be nice

thanks yall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maddawg,

Same in Republik of California. We have so many criminals, welfare recipients, drug addicts, illegal aliens and general losers that this state is overburdened financially. We have the highest cost of living in the US, second only to Hawaii. It is o crowded here you can't believe it. Going camping requires an on-line reservation 6 months to a year in advance. A full hunting license approaching $ 50.00, then you need to buy your tags as well. Half the state requires we use non-lead ammo because one of the 160 some odd California Condors that may possibly injest a lead fragmet from a game animal that was lost by a hunter. This even extends to .22 rimfire ammo. Non-lead ammo costs about 4 times what jacketed ammo does. Now the enviromentalist wackos want to extend the lead ammo ban to the entire state. For reloaders, the increased cost will be amazing. When I leave this state in 10 years, My wife and I are taking my generous retirement and proceeds from the sale of to paid for homes with us out of this state and I am going to stop at the border and piss on this state. They will never see me or my taxes again.

My family has been here for 5 generations and someone has to make a move to get us out of here. That is going to be me and I am going to encourage my kids to relocate their as well as they finish college at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:40 pm 
Field Grade

almost the same here no lead ban yet but the only public property you can hunt NO lie i have to wade ankle to nee deep water through the woods just to try to hunt do to our water management program.. places were i hunted at a dead end dirt road when i was a kid 30 yrs ago is a 8 lane highway bringing people to work its disgusting for me here anymore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:38 am 
Field Grade

hey CRWDDYZ doesent sound like we are going to get much help out of this if all goes well i am moving out there this summer i will let you know what i can

P.S. thanks yall :roll: !!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maddawg,

Moving where this summer ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:12 pm 
Field Grade

wyoming i hope but close will do its wee ever i can find the best truck tech job

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That's excellent ! I hope you land a good job in a great area. I have 10 years to go to retirement and I'll be there or close ASAP.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:01 pm 
Field Grade

casper is the plan but i will let you know

thanks man

Post subject: Re: Retire in Wyoming ????
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This comes from a fifth generation Californio, now living in refugee status in New Mexico. I lived in Helena Mont. for about a year in my youth. A few things to keep in mind. Seems like everybody wants the same thing. "5 acres, five miles from town" It is available but pricy all through the west. Being out twenty miles is more realistic. Montana and Wyoming are basiclly two season states. No matter what the local chamber of commerce will tell you. You got July and winter. Twenty miles can be a long way to town in winter.
LEAVE WHATEVER YOUR MINDSET HAS BEEN AT THE PLACE YOU LEFT. Weterners, this includes rural Californians, take a dim view of hearing how you do it where you came from. I met two ladies on the street that had just arrived from Jersey. They said; "Oh, we love it heah, but ya know , ya don't have any street lights an yah roads a pretty narrow an its evah so dusty. But it'll be bettah once we get ouah lawyn plant-ed" A lawn. This is the west. Where a man might fight you over land, but He'll kill you over water.
Water has become a huge political issue in the west. If you don't have it in place on your property, in some states you will pay through the nose to drill for it, and it can be deep. we are at 987'. We drilled twice, the first was a 20 thousand dollar post hole. And thats if you are allowed by the Govt. If you don't have land now, don't plan on buying it in ten years. You aint the only one with rocky mtn dreams. Current prices in New Mexico rival those in California 10 to 17k per acre.
Then there is the "wildlands project" If you move to the Rocky mtn west you will be putting yourself right in the middle of a huge fight. If you value individual liberty and private property rights, glad to have ya. Just know that there is a well oiled machine trying to keep people out of the west. takingliberty.com can fill you in on that.
It will take you at least five years to establish yourself as any kind of decent human being. Westerners have been dang over by urban pilgrims since time immimorial. They will not like you , they will not trust you. It will take time to get past that. You will be told to go back where you come from many times. Your best bet is to smile and thank them for taking you in. When I bought this ranch I ran into a guy that told me I had purchced his "menat market" and he was not happy. I told him if he saw anything on this place he cared to shoot, go ahead and shoot it. WE have become fast friends. You will need some of those. If you get out in big country. Never Ever ask how many acres a man owns. It is the height of bad manners and marks you as a pilgrim. Oh, and loose those NY plates day one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:54 am 
Field Grade

thanks heelerman for the advice i well know the small town deal and there is nothing you can tell me about the yankes moving in and wanting to take over i live in FL the move to capitol by the damn piss aints that ''this aint the way we do it back home''' i dont wanta buy nothing that aint aready there dont need no lil ranch..a house in town will be just fine ..and i will get along with the folks just fine if thay dont like me all thay gotta do is tell me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mad,
In town you won't have near as many issues. You will be dealing with more pilgrims, many of whom will want to turn the place itn what they left behind. (funny how that works) If you champion local control you will become pretty popular pretty quick. here we notice that the new comers that get on the city council, chamber of commerce and other local boards are always in the same line of work. Banking, real estate and escrow. We also find that they were land pimps where they came from. hmmmm.
If you get in with the local Farm Bureau, cattlemans assn, timber harvesters and other ag. groups you will be welcomed as breathren. Also, just to get up to speed you might go to rangemagazine.com and start bonin' up on western issues.
Good luck to ya.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:40 am 
Diamond Grade

16 years ago I bought a ranch in NW Wyoming. My neighbors welcomed me, helped me and gave me advice. The ranch is about 6 miles from town, three of which are on dirt roads that I maintain. A person could get a sore index finger waving and returning waves to oncoming vehicles. Hunting and fishing in the area is hard to beat. I have 2 miles of a famous river and allow anyone to fish, providing they do not leave a mess. In addition to being a water-fowlers paradise, the ranch has dove, pheasant, turkey, rabbit, mule deer and white tail deer. Yesterday, a guy from town shot a turkey from the ranch and I have even let Californians hunt deer on our ranch. Last year 3 deer were taken by out of state hunters and 6 were shot by local hunter. The year before, 5 deer were shot by out of state hunters and 4 were shot by local hunters. It is my opinion based upon experience that people moving to Wyoming will be welcomed. A long time friend visited every year for about 10 years and when he retired he and his wife bought a home in town, something that I would not have expected. When asked why, they said the people are wonderful and over the years they made allot of friends in the area. The fact that it is over a 2 1/2 hour drive to the nearest mall is often a deterrent to some folks. In time of need, people in the area help each other. Our fire department is all volunteer and crime other than traffic citations and juvenile nonsense is nonexistent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:55 am 
Field Grade

well y'all it looks like the end of may i will be on my way yea haw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wyo,
You do have a wondeous country. I know bits and parts of it. Best place I ever saw with a two season year. July is just stupendous. Winter is some longer than I would like. {hs#
I have heard that the wind blows so hard there that things that were never there had blown away. I never saw it that bad, but I watched it blow down a class A RV.
The people are terrific. By God Westerners. Well, Jackson might well be an exception, beins' its' the last of the "real" west an all.

Maddog---You might want to stay where you are.

A note to any thinkin' of moving to the west. If you are not in a position to do so and quickly, just call it an unfulfilled dream and git on with your life. There are intence pressures on the rural west from all sides. If you come now you will find a myriad of eager sellers.
But the economy is acting really funky ya know. We have an admin. that is "green". Rural economys are drying up. You better rattle your hocks. Expect increasing restrictions and regulaton and changeing building codes. Sometimes the changes come weekly
If you come to embrace things western, welcome.
If you take us for hicks and would really prefer that this be New Jersey with a hat, Not so much.
Lest you think I jest, ask any rural western bumpkin here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:49 am 
Field Grade

budd i grew up eating catfish and bream cooked right in the coals of a fire on a creek bank peel the skin off and that's a meal I'm a redneck boy from the fl swamps that people filled with dirt and call it paradise and wonder why there house floods when it rains i know all to well of ''the way we did it back home CRAP '' i wanna live a nice peaceful life that i can go catch some fish.foul or hair cook it over a fire and enjoy simple times not buy out somebodies property and build condos and change the way yall live out there

im the farthest thing from a city slicker as you could get.. just let me find a little house to rent for a while or buy later on and i wont be in nobody's hair and for sure ain't going to tell you how we did it back home...

well except for the fishing stories i have

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I knew you to be a southerner, YEE HAA, oh brother {hs#
Heres a thought then. Theres a dirtly little secret here. Near half of the eastern pilgrims and urban types that move to the rural west stay less than five years. Kinda to Western for em. And for families, the schools can be junk. They can also be outstanding. The largest demographic of children that complete college? Ranch kids. Using less aid of any kind than any group.
But in the meanwhile. they have torn up and or fenced in a bunch of country and generally screwed up the whole aura of the place.
I can't spell it but I know what it means.
So, there are a good number of preexisting places. This is good because pre existing places have pre existing wells. If you have to drill in AZ. NM, or rural California, Get out your wallet and your reading glasses and be patient. You know how slow Govt. can be.
Also be sure you know if you are in or near a "biological corridor". They are imagined to be over the west and run from Ol Mexico to the Great White North. If you do come west you are movin' into a big fight.
To paraphrase George Armstrong: "Bring packs, be quick, big camp Bring packs"