ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions wanted on Kolar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I presently shoot a ZOLI Z-sport, which I'm told was designed to have the handling dynamics of a perazzi. Likewise I've heard that the Kolar max lite was designed to handle like a P gun.

Your opinions please of how a kolar max lite sporting handles.

Thanks in advance.

Browning Maxus Duck Camo
Franchi Affnity

Post subject: Re: Opinions wanted on Kolar
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

only demo'd one for a few shots but it's certainly a bit faster feeling than a K80.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am 
Utility Grade

I just went through the process of purchasing a new to me gun.

I shot a buddies P-gun for a few days, and then demo'd a Z-gun and Kolar in the same session. The P-gun had a "baby step" rib, the Z-gun was a flat rib, and the Kolar standard flat seemed like like the P-gun "baby step".

I found all 3 handled very similar. In the end the Kolar won out as it just seemed to go where my eyes went the easiest. They all balanced well and I shot them well. I liked the "baby step" the best, and the Kolar just felt better.

I also tried a Blaser F3 Vantage, and did not like the rib. The Blaser just did not fit or handle well for me. The Blaser is a fine gun no doubt.

Shoot them all as much as you can. A shooting buddy of mine told me that you will know which one to buy when you shoot it. That was true for me. The Zoli felt great, but I knew when I shot the Kolar that it was the one, as I said earlier it just went where my eyes went without any effort from me. I suppose balance is a big part of the equation, but I did not think about it in those terms. I went with what felt right and I broke targets with.

Good luck in your search, it's a fun journey...remember, it's a journey not a quick trip!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Great gun, hard to go wrong. You’re shooting a really nice gun now, just time for something new?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

The mid rib Z would have been the proper comp to the other guns you tried.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:03 pm 
Limited Edition

There are certainly shooters that know more about Perazzi’s than I do, but here is what I observed:

There are a lot of Perazzi variants in barrel weights, choke tubes or fixed, and stock dimensions. For each variant, handling can be quite different.

To me the Max Lite Sporting has very good dynamic handling. Also the stock dimensions are a bit lower and narrower at the comb than some others.

The Zoli Z Sport ended up being second place for me, mainly due to stock dimensions. I shoot with several guys that have them and shoot them extremely well. If yours fits, you have a great gun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:42 am 
Crown Grade

Forum member “Kenny Powers” shot a Zoli for a number of year, switched to a Kolar early this year. He should be able to give you some good info.

He’s often in the skeet forums.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 am 
Field Grade

I have a Zoli Z-Sport HR. Picked up a Kolar Max Lite with the adjustable rib during a visit to Target shotguns store 2 weeks ago. Very similar feel. The Kolar might have been an ounce or two lighter, but I have a couple of ozs. of weight in my Zoli in the BHB system in the grip. Stock felt a little thinner on the Kolar. Overall not enough of a difference to consider giving up my Zoli for one until I get a chance to shoot one. Even then, I doubt I could justify the price difference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:58 am 
Tournament Grade

My Kolar Max Lite Sporting barrels are lighter in the muzzle and heavier in the monoblock as compared to my friend's similar weight and length (1.6kG 32") Perazzi barrels. The Kolar had factory Titanium chokes and the Perazzi barrels had thin wall extended choke tubes when measured.

You can see this if you put just the muzzle on the scale and then just the monoblock (with a support at the opposite end). This means the Kolar barrels probably swing faster than you would expect based on their weight alone.

Kolar's receiver is heavier:
Perazzi MX-8 receiver w/trigger weighed 2lb 1 oz
Kolar receiver with trigger weighed at 2.54 lbs
Perazzi hi-tech: "Internally, it is exactly the same, so no differences there. Externally, the receiver has been widened to add 1.5oz of weight" (Per http://www.dradulovich.com/perazzi-high-tech/)

Because Kolar is lighter out front and heavier in the receiver than the Perazzi parts I weighed, I suspect that the two guns (with similar wood and 1.6kG 32" barrels, Kolar Max Lite typical) would swing about the same (similar Moment of Inertia). The biggest difference would probably be between your ears.