ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Muller Chokes

Post subject: Seeing the wisdom of U2/U2 for SC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:15 pm 
Field Grade

I went with a friend to do some practice at the SC range. We were going to shoot only the hard stations, these encompass both close and farther shots with some weird angles.

I decided to go with U2s in both tubes (I usually shoot U1s and sometimes a U0/U1 on some stations) thinking the tighter chokes would force me to concentrate more and "center" hits better fully expecting to have additional misses due to the tighter patterns.

Lo and behold i busted more birds on the hardest stations/presentations using these tighter chokes than I average on this course. And the hits were spectacular! Nothing left but dust.

I've read on here where the U2s are the go-to chokes for the best all-around on the SC courses, but always thought I needed the more open to get a cheater dead bird or two a round.

Now I don't know if I was having a particularly good day, was concentrating more thinking I needed to with the tighter chokes or what. I'm going out again next week and see how I do.

I'll update after the next outing.

Post subject: Re: Seeing the wisdom of U2/U2 for SC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Everyone has their own preferences and opinions about chokes. I shot Mullers for a while and found them to be quality chokes that were easy to clean. You have to learn how each constriction patterns in your gun (like any choke). IME, in my CG and in my K-guns, U0 and U1 chokes were roughly equivalent to Cyl and SK. Some folks say the U2 shoots to a “M” choke; mine did not. In my experiences, U2 was about IC ... maybe LM. Regardless, IMHO, the tighter choke is what’s contributing to your improved breaks and is a better choice for most targets than the U0/U1. SC is a fun (and addictive) game. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:22 am 
Presentation Grade

for sure id ditch the U0.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:49 am 
Crown Grade

I've recently been shooting a pair of Trulock SK2 (LM) chokes for SC and find I am getting more and better breaks than with more open chokes. Whether I should move to even higher constriction like M, M is the current question. I imagine I will give it a try soon to see how I like it. There is always this tension between trying for your best result with a familiar setup and risking a poor showing by trying something new. 1st world problem!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 am 
Crown Grade

LMs like the Trulock are tighter than the ICs of the U2. Where I shoot, I use a LM and M, which would translate to a roughly U2/U3 It all depends on how your course is set and how your ammo patterns in your gun with your choke selection

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:55 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
LMs like the Trulock are tighter than the ICs of the U2. Where I shoot, I use a LM and M, which would translate to a roughly U2/U3 It all depends on how your course is set and how your ammo patterns in your gun with your choke selection

Certainly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Most wouldn't consider a ü2 a tight choke. Ü3 is what I would consider the beginning of tight chokes. Ü3 is a very nice constriction.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree that U2 is not a tight constriction choke.....but.....it is an excellent choke for use on a typical sporting clays set.

I use U2 frequently and in my A-400, it patterns pretty much dead on what I would expect from a LM choke even though the U2 constriction of .012 is slightly more open than LM.

I have shot competition rounds all over the Northeast including Addieville and M&M and even on those big boy grounds, the U2 is very appropriate on a large percentage of targets / stations. When I feel I need a little more, I put in the U3.

As was said earlier, it is personal choice and you should run with what you have the most confidence in.

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I agree that U2 is not a tight constriction choke.....but.....it is an excellent choke for use on a typical sporting clays set.

On casual clay courses, you would be correct; but not typically on tougher tournament targets. Besides, U3s will work on your average stuff where a U2 can work, but they will also work for those stations where a Mod would be a better choice.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Threads like this always confuse me. I started with Mueller chokes on a friend's recommendation. I really like that they weighed 1/3 what the factory Invector + DS chokes weighed. I didn't see a better pattern one way or the other so much as I enjoyed the lighter weight up front, ease of insertion and removal, and cleaning seemed to be much easier.

When I moved from the Browning and went to the Blaser F3, I bought a selection of Muellers. I eventually went with a couple of the U0, U1, and U2, and only one each U3 and U4 in 12 gauge. I patterned all of them with multiple different ammo. In addition, I have all 4 barrel sets in 30 inch and an extra gun with 32" barrels in 12 and 28 gauge. (The rest to follow as the discretionary income catches up.)

As a general rule I shoot AA (2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz @ 1145) for major tournaments, state and above. I then shoot whatever is cheapest at Walmart for local stuff and finally use my reloads for practicing at home and friends places. The differences in gun barrel, choke and ammo, is or can be substantial. In my 20 ga barrel set, 2 U0 are tight and what I use for 20 ga FITASC. In my .410 and 28, U1 and U2 always seem to fit the bill. I will confess I use Briley flush skeet in my 30" 28 ga as they are awesome for skeet. if I miss a clay it is because I failed miserably.

In my 32" in 12 ga a couple of U2 are perfect for FITASC at Ben Avery but U1 are ideal in my world of 6,000' (+) altitude. So for AA I might use a U1 but with estate a U2. For Last Man Standing aka Annie Oakley, I go with a U2 / U3 (broke a clay at an honest measured 75 yds using AA super sport with a U3). In all of my 12 ga guns, I have only used the U4 once discovering you might as well use a slug.

You can call choke constrictions whatever you want, "loosey goosey" or "Mega mighty tight", but you are just playing the lottery until you pattern them.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:38 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Quote:

On casual clay courses, you would be correct; but not typically on tougher tournament targets. Besides, U3s will work on your average stuff where a U2 can work, but they will also work for those stations where a Mod would be a better choice.

agreed... At the US Open, I had my U3 in the gun for considerably more stations but on half of the stations, U2 was more than enough. As I noted, if needed, I run the U3.

What I have observed at the places I shoot most is that our target setters are getting very skilled at really dialing up the intensity level on the intermediate and closer targets. Speed and distance aren't the only ingredients to a championship target set. Anthony has some big spaces at M&M to throw long targets but I think he gets a lot of satisfaction from beating shooters with extremely difficult 25-35 yard targets......

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:04 pm 
Limited Edition

I am not a choke changer during rounds as I don't think I need the distraction and in 5 stand you can't change chokes during a round anyway.
I do switch from U1/U2 combo to U2/U3 and the more I think about it the U2/U2 as an option just seems more like a good option. Might have to grab another U2 just to give it a run for a while and see for myself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

New beretta 694
Dealer said mullers will void warrantees on a lot of guns .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

skar wrote:
New beretta 694

I am really curious about that statement from the dealer. Would be interested to know what the basis for that would be.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:11 am 
Crown Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
skar wrote:
New beretta 694

I am really curious about that statement from the dealer. Would be interested to know what the basis for that would be.

Besides, who would know?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hay it what he said .
That said I tried a pair of u2 in my 725 . They got stuck after 100 rounds and I had to use pliers to get them off. But lots of shooters like them .