ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Muller Chokes

Post subject: Q for Mr. Muller
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:07 am 
Field Grade

Sir:
The Muller website warns Invector/WinChokes do not fit Mossberg 930 barrels. (I have a 930 Pro Sporting)
I had previously emailed your company and was told-as I understand it- that the problem was barrel dimension variance with the Mossberg 930 barrels. I've used both Briley and Pure Gold chokes for Invector / WinChoke and haven't experienced any fit problem. Is the warning related to thread tolerance?
Thanks for your time!

Fabarm XLR5 FR

Post subject: Re: Q for Mr. Muller
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 am 
Crown Grade

nationalbar wrote:
Sir:
The Muller website warns Invector/WinChokes do not fit Mossberg 930 barrels. (I have a 930 Pro Sporting)
I had previously emailed your company and was told-as I understand it- that the problem was barrel dimension variance with the Mossberg 930 barrels. I've used both Briley and Pure Gold chokes for Invector / WinChoke and haven't experienced any fit problem. Is the warning related to thread tolerance?
Thanks for your time!

Hello, great question. I am glad you brought this up.
1) Yes, the Winchoke/Invector will "Fit" meaning it will screw in just fine, but the problem is that the bore diameters of the Invector and Mossberg 930 are different.
Browning Invector/Winchoke: .725
Mossberg 930: .730 (**Update..Actually barrels I have measure .735 from factory)
So....yes, you "can" chance using a Invector/Winchoke in a Mossberg 930 gun, but you will be shooting a choke that is .005 off in constriction and also, risk the chance of catching the edge of the choke and peeling it which will result in a bulged barrel.
So, thats your choice. (I would NOT based on .735 bore)
Just know that if you chance it and you do bulge a barrel, no choke manufacturer is going to replace your barrel because you used the incorrect choke.
Same situation exists with Blaser/Rem Choke. Some people think that Blaser and Remington Rem Choke are interchangeable just because they "screw in"....they are NOT!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you Sir, appreciate the explanation!

Fabarm XLR5 FR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Actually, I made a slight mistake....the Mossberg 930 barrels I have here actually measure .735, not as I originally posted at .730, SO....that means it is definitely NOT a good thing to use Invector/WinChoke in a Mossberg 930

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Jimmy Muller wrote:
nationalbar wrote:
Sir:
Thanks for your time!

Hello, great question. I am glad you brought this up.
1) Yes, the Winchoke/Invector will "Fit" meaning it will screw in just fine, but the problem is that the bore diameters of the Invector and Mossberg 930 are different.
Browning Invector/Winchoke: .725
Mossberg 930: .730 (**Update..Actually barrels I have measure .735 from factory)
So....yes, you "can" chance using a Invector/Winchoke in a Mossberg 930 gun, but you will be shooting a choke that is .005 off in constriction and also, risk the chance of catching the edge of the choke and peeling it which will result in a bulged barrel.
So, thats your choice. (I would NOT based on .735 bore)
Just know that if you chance it and you do bulge a barrel, no choke manufacturer is going to replace your barrel because you used the incorrect choke.
Same situation exists with Blaser/Rem Choke. Some people think that Blaser and Remington Rem Choke are interchangeable just because they "screw in"....they are NOT!

Jimmy. Two things. First, I'd like to question your update! I have a 930 JM Pro and measured my barrel with my barrel micrometer which I know to be accurate for sure. My 930 JM Pro barrel has a diameter of exactly .730 and NOT .735 and I am certain of that!

Second, I agree with you on OEM choke designs (like Mobil or Invector/WinChoke) on 3rd party guns from other manufacturers using that choke. I do always measure barrel and choke tube for the reason you mention. Barrels and choke tubes are often 2 thousands off from advertised specs, even Muller tubes vary from each other (same choke type and same Ux constriction and there is still sometimes up to 2 thousands difference), so I measure to get as close to the actual constriction I want. For example my TriStar CTA trap combo uses Ber Mobil chokes, but has .734 barrels! So I use a U2 measured at .713 diameter for trap. A U3 measured at .713 is actually a LF constriction on the TriStar barrel. On the other side of that is my CZ Sharptail Target that also employs Beretta Mobil choke system but has barrel diameter of .724 in the left barrel and .726 in the right barrel, being much closer to Beretta Mobil barrels. So this means in my TriStar CTA the same Muller Mobil U 2 tube has a constriction of 0.021 compared to the same tube in the CZ having a constriction of "only" 0.014

I also miked my OEM Mossy choke tubes OD and ID and to compare OEM to a number of aftermarket TruLock WinChoke/Invector tubes I bought. Their ID and OD sizes, OEM compared to TruLock, at the barrel step are exactly the same and every other reputable choke manufacturer sells their WinCHoke/Invector tubse for the Mossy 930.
Can you comment please? Thanks!.

DT-11 Sptg Black B-Fast - DT-11 Sptg B-Fast - 692 Black B-Fast - A400 Sptg. Black - CG Invictus VII - F/N B25 Broadway Trap - Browning A5 Ultimate & A5 Hunter - CZ Sharptail Target - TriStar TT-15 CTA DeLuxe - Rem. 11-87 SP 25.5"