ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Muller Chokes

Post subject: In setting up a new o/u what chokes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Shooting mostly sporting, and a little skeet what chokes would you all, and Jimmy, buy to cover everything without having a crazy number of chokes.

Here is my thinking.

2x U0. Covers the close stuff, even when both targets of a pair are close. And these cover skeet targets.

2x U2 I see no reason for U1s becasue they are fairly close to the U0s. These cover a lot of sporting targets.

2x U3 These are for the along stuff. Two, becasue you could have two long targets on one station.

Of course combining any of the different chokes to cover the presentations.

What do you think? Your recommendations with your reasoning is much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Post subject: Re: In setting up a new o/u what chokes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

It depends on what kind of breaks you prefer. I prefer to choke for smoke so I know I'm really on them. For 12ga I'd drop the U0's and use the 1's for skeet (particularly if you shoot 8/7.5's instead of 9's). I generally run U2 & U3 for most courses and don't worry about changing out.

2 x U1
1 x U2
1 x U3
1 x U4 (optional)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

In my Cyenergy I have found that
1-U1
2-U2
1-U3
will cover anything on the Sporting courses I shoot at and for upland hunting.
It left me with some money to shoot with too..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't have a U0, and I don't miss it. I shoot U1s in both barrels for skeet and (generally) U2s in both barrels for sporting clays. I do have one U3 and one U4, but rarely use them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:33 pm 
Limited Edition

I currently have:
1 x U1
1 x U2
1 x U3

I currently use the std SK chokes that came with the gun for skeet and am very happy with the performance of those even though after say 300 rounds I do get a bit of crud build up, so may grab a pair of U0's for skeet too. Wouldn't hurt to have the gun balanced the same for all sports if the choke weight does make any real difference, next week I may shoot the gun with both Mullers and std SK chokes to see if I can tell any change in feel/movement.

U1/U2 combo seems to do good for 5 stand and will break out the as yet unused U3 for sporting tomorrow to run the U2/U3 combo (I'll probably take a few #9s for close targets to get a little extra spread in real close).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:42 pm 
Limited Edition

A question in a similar vein has anyone noticed any difference in gun dynamics switching to the Mullers from original equipment extended chokes?

I have put a std Zoli extended SK tube on the powder scales for 463.9 grains vs a U2 for 285.5grains, not a huge difference in the overall scheme of things but fairly substantial as a percentage of tube weight?

Just curious?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Force change of 2.4oz input at the grip assuming (i) 32" barrels with hinge balance, (ii) barrels start 2" before the hinge, and (iii) grip is 5" behind the balance point. All that said, my physics/math is way off if the fulcrum is the hand holding the fore end vs. balance point. Used a force leverage calc to come up with the answer based on the above assumptions

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:19 am 
Crown Grade

in my A400 xcel, I'm running the U2 for 95% of the stuff I see, even close stuff. If I have to put a spreader in, I will. I do have a full set so U0 through U4 only because I acquired them on the used market and just pieced the kit together over the course of a year and half. I have shot the U4 and U3 when shooting some fitasc here and there.

Enjoy the new chokes, and shoot what you have the most confidence in, and play around with some loads too and see what you like about the breaks you get, and don't be afraid to choke down or up.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
in my A400 xcel, I'm running the U2 for 95% of the stuff I see, even close stuff.

Since it is basically an IC choke, that would be a good choice for close stuff. With the U3 running closer to Mod, that would be a great all around. If you subscribe to Gil Ash's ideas, all you would need would be a U0 or U1 and a U3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

99% of the time I shoot a pair of U2's but there are times when I will put in a U3 for the really long stuff.

IMO the U3 is to tight for most sporting clay courses.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:27 pm 
Limited Edition

I shot 3 rounds of sporting last weekend, a good mixture of targets in regards to range with some quite loooong. Ran the U2/U3 combo first round, score wasn't great with limited sporting shot the last year or 3 was OK with the result. Switched to U1/U2 combo thinking maybe I may pick up the odd bird and ensure I collected more of the closer birds to post exactly the same score. Went back to U2/U3 and improved the last round by 4 birds.

What does it mean, probably not much and fair chance I just started to feel a bit more comfortable but I will shoot the U2/U3 combo there from now on as I certainly wasn't handicapped on the closer stuff but on the longer birds feel it was just the little better. Anything close and fast I'm happy to back myself anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:25 pm 
Crown Grade

At in-your-face distances, the pattern from an open or tight choke are about the same. At distances in the 40+ yard range, the tighter chokes show their superiority.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot a pair of U2s for 98% of sporting in my Browning. I have a U0 for really close stuff (mostly mental). I also have a U1 just in case I have two really close targets. If I shoot U0/U2 at more than one station, it will be a charity shoot.

I don't own a U3. I can't hit targets at that range anyway.

In my Beretta, I just keep two LMs in there for everything.

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

95% of what I see (not always break mind you), can be broke with U1 or U2. That includes sporting and skeet. I own a U0, a U4, and two of each of the others. No idea why, they just seemed to multiply, but the 1/2 combo would have sufficed. YMMV

https://www.southerntrust.com/white-marsh/ryan-lowry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:16 am 
Presentation Grade

U1 X 2
U2 X 2
U3 X 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The U0 and U1 are a great Skeet combo, better versatility than [email protected] IMHO, so:

U0 x 1
U1 x 1
U2 x 2
U3 x 2

And you are correct you don't need a U4 for any target we see on the even the toughest sporting clays course. However, if you start shooting ZZ's, you'll want a U4 for your second barrel.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:07 am 
Tournament Grade

I agree with the OP. I have 2 of all the Muller’s. I use Ü2 85% of the time, Ü3’s 10% of the time and Ü0 on the occasional close bunny. I have a Ü4 in the choke case and never use it. I have removed the Ü1’s from my case, but donkeep them in my shooting bag. I do find myself using Ü3 a little more often now, but it is a lot of choke for most stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:50 pm 
Limited Edition

UhOh better add 2 x UO's to my list, arrived mid week to complement the 1 x U1, 2 & 3. I reckon that'll do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
The U0 and U1 are a great Skeet combo, better versatility than [email protected] IMHO, so:

U0 x 1
U1 x 1
U2 x 2
U3 x 2

And you are correct you don't need a U4 for any target we see on the even the toughest sporting clays course. However, if you start shooting ZZ's, you'll want a U4 for your second barrel.

I shot some Fitasc with a U4 once, and had really good results, while I know I was choked a little too tight, it was still nice having that range. Also when I practice I will toss that U4 in and run it.

I have found with the U4 that when you connect, from time to time, you will hear the pellets smack the clay, because the group is tight. It's usually ink ball city.

NSCA#620844
Muller Mafia Fan&Member
"regard le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are shooting U4 you might as well be shooting slugs. :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes