ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Muller Chokes

Post subject: Re: In setting up a new o/u what chokes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 am 
Crown Grade

[quote="MHWH"]Shooting mostly sporting, and a little skeet what chokes would you all, and Jimmy, buy to cover everything without having a crazy number of chokes.

Here is my thinking.

2x U0. Covers the close stuff, even when both targets of a pair are close. And these cover skeet targets.

2x U2 I see no reason for U1s becasue they are fairly close to the U0s. These cover a lot of sporting targets.

2x U3 These are for the along stuff. Two, becasue you could have two long targets on one station.

Of course combining any of the different chokes to cover the presentations.

What do you think? Your recommendations with your reasoning is much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike[/quot

Exactly what I use. Sporting, skeet, trap. Works great for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The frugalist approach in an Over/Under would be:
2xU1 for skeet an 75% of sporting
1xU3 for sporting targets out there.

Because we can't all be confident with the U1, the value proposition for an Over/Under would be:
2xU0 for close stuff and skeet
2xU2 for 95% of sporting
(Let's face it, you don't see a 60 yard on edge very often and you're not hitting it anyway).

For a semi, it's a very simple for the frugalist:
1xU2 You don't need anything else.

If you got Terry Shook level $$:
2xU0
2xU1
3xU2 (because you just might lose one and you don't want to be without two U2s)
2xU3
2xU4

-- Zig Ziglar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are going to buy them buy them all.

You just never know. :lol: :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have not bothered to identify where any of the previous posters live. I live at 6800' and most every range in Colorado is in the 6000' elevation give or take something or other. I have shot Kansas (Claythorne), Ben Avery, Las Vegas, somewhere hot in Montana and Tucson, all at lower elevations.

My advice is to take that in consideration in your choke selection. Next, figure in your shell selection and in particular the whole hard vs soft shot and new vs recycled plastic in the wads.

Although I am a new shooter running off of instinct rather than professional training, I have have come up with a conclusion or two. In my neighborhoods, using AA/STS, a U0 and a U1 will break dern near anything you can see clearly to hit, even using #8. If you use the Wally World specials, use a U1 and U2. If you have the great fun of shooting the Annie Oakley games, have a U3 in your kit bag for those 60+ yard shots. I have broken clays at 75 +/- with a U3 and AA 7.5's. Totally luck on my part but the giggle factor is off the charts.

No higher authority than Jon Kruger says that a Lt mod and 8's will break anything you can see in Colorado. Skeet will serve you just fine for most tournaments.

I'll just add that I started shooting with a 725 Sporting with the ported barrels, which the Marine in me just hated. So, I bought the non-ported model and bought 2 of every Muller Choke since they weighed approx 1/3 of the Invector DS. I have never looked backed and now have Muller's for everything i have including my new F3 with sub-ga barrel sets.

Last but not least, it doesn't matter a wit what the constriction is until you get out and pattern. I once had a Benelli that shot way tighter with the Mod choke than the full. My 20 ga Blaser with the supplied Briley chokes were really tight. I didn't count pellets (life is too short for cheap wine and counting pellets) but the IC were just as tight as the ImpMod.

No worries, the Muller's came in the mail today.

Never take anything for granted. Experiment and enjoy, and, come on out and visit. You will love Colrado.

s/f Steve (aka WCDU)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:43 am 
Crown Grade

I put in a U1 and a U2 and never change. I have a U3 that I have never used. But, I don't shoot registered so what do I know? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Elevation can definitely make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:10 am 
Limited Edition

I tried U2 chokes , but I have found that U1 works better in my Blaser for sporting clays.I tried using U3 for trap, but the pattern was so tight, I changed to U2. I am finding that the Muller chokes pattern much tighter than I expected with the Kent 1 ounce loads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot a U2/3 for everything including skeet. I have two of everything but forgot my chokes one day and just shot skeet anyways with the same combo and scores didn't suffer one target. After that I just decided to leave things alone and focus on the targets. I've been doing this for six months and my skeet scores don't suffer. I don't shoot skeet a lot but always shoot 22-24. The targets I miss I'm over or behind so choke doesn't really matter then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I picked up my Guerini Summit Ascent this past spring (birthday gift to myself) and decided to take it with me on a road trip to Amelia Is (concours event). Ended up shooting at Mullers and picked up a trio of chokes: U1, U2, and U3. Thanks Dawn!

While getting used to my new “toy”, I experimented with the stock chokes and the Mullers and found the breaks to be more solid with the latter - especially the U3 for trap.

I started competing in sporting clays this year (main purpose for buying the Guerini) and have had much success with U1/U2 combo. I primarily use 1200fps Winchester #8, and some #7.5s for longer targets. Most times I’m too lazy to put in the skeet chokes for skeet, but I’m still good for 23s or better.

With my starting with FITASC this weekend, I may try the U2/U3 combo or LM/M stock tubes.

The Mullers look cool, are extremely light weight (maintains muzzle balance - important on longer barrels), and pattern tighter than their constriction would suggest.

YMMV

-Marc

Beretta GR-4 SxS
D Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:45 am 
Limited Edition

I have two U-1, two U-2, one U-3 and One U-4. I use the U-2 chokes for sporting clays, the U-1 chokes for skeet, and a U-3 for trap. I have never used the U-4. The chokes came with the used gun, I would never purchase a U-4.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

MHWH wrote:
Shooting mostly sporting, and a little skeet what chokes would you all, and Jimmy, buy to cover everything without having a crazy number of chokes.

Here is my thinking.

2x U0. Covers the close stuff, even when both targets of a pair are close. And these cover skeet targets.

2x U2 I see no reason for U1s becasue they are fairly close to the U0s. These cover a lot of sporting targets.

2x U3 These are for the along stuff. Two, becasue you could have two long targets on one station.

Of course combining any of the different chokes to cover the presentations.

What do you think? Your recommendations with your reasoning is much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

This is spot on Mike. Exactly what I would recommend.
Jim Muller