ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Muller Chokes

Post subject: Reccomended load for skeet U0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:20 am 
Utility Grade

My son is just wrapping up his first season with his school shooting team and we are switching him from a 391 with pure golds to a SP1 12ga 32" and Muller chokes. He has been shooting Fiocchi shooting dynamics #8 1250fps 1oz.

I have read that maybe slower velocity and #9 is better for the U0 tube with skeet. I have several flats of the #8 left, but do not want to handicap my son while he is starting with a new gun.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also what loads pattern best with U1 and U2 for sporting and trap. Thanks!

Keith

Post subject: Re: Reccomended load for skeet U0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:24 am 
Crown Grade

Only YOU can determine what will pattern best in your gun. Pure Gold tend to pattern about 1 .005 constriction tighter than their stated indication.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kmox,

The same gun model and choke make may pattern somewhat differently from one gun to the next. So I agree that oneounceload is correct when he writes that they only way to really know for sure how those shells will is to pattern the gun at the patterning board at skeet distances (say 20 - 23 yards).

Having said that, I am sure you are going to be just fine with just about any 1 oz. load at a reasonable velocities at skeet ranges. Under no circumstance would I ever consider that a handicap. In fact, I usually shoot 7/8 oz. of 8's (because I shoot 8's at just about everything). Sure, moving forward, if only shooting skeet, I would go to #9's, but right now, if the target does not break, it is not going to be the ammo's fault.

Kmox wrote:
Also what loads pattern best with U1 and U2 for sporting and trap.

Those Fiocchi shells would be a great one to try out, it is going to be a case of patterning your gun and seeing what works best. I will say that 1 oz. of #8's has broken thousands and thousands of targets for me (Of course I have missed thousands more). Others perfer 7 1/2's.

Last edited by stripersonfly on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 am 
Utility Grade

I forgot to mention the chokes are SS Optima HP. My hope was that Jimmy would chime in since I know he has done more testing and understands it better than I ever will.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The only way to know is get a few different brands of shells and hit the pattern board and see which your particular gun/chokes likes.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

In my daughters DT11, the Winchester Super target xtra lite 12g ammo is hard to beat. 1180fps/1oz load
Light recoil and patterns well with the U0 chokes for skeet, (9 shot)
#8 shot with a pair of U2’s for trap and SC. $5.50 a box shipped from Academy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Kmox wrote:
I forgot to mention the chokes are SS Optima HP. My hope was that Jimmy would chime in since I know he has done more testing and understands it better than I ever will.

The best combo for American Skeet regardless of gun is my Ü0 and 1 oz #9's at 1200 FPS
(although anything under 1250 FPS is fine).
Choose a load between 1145 & 1250 FPS and stick with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Jimmy,

Thanks for the help!

I also appreciated everyone else’s input. Great stuff. We will pattern test several options for sporting clays.

Keith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Kmox wrote:
Jimmy,

Thanks for the help!

I also appreciated everyone else’s input. Great stuff. We will pattern test several options for sporting clays.

Keith

Always shoot the same payload and same velocity for all disciplines.
So,
Skeet: 1 oz #9 at 1200 FPS
Sporting Clays: 1 oz #7.5 at 1200 FPS