ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Muller Chokes

Post subject: Which Chokes?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:25 am 
Field Grade

I'm going to a shooting school where I am supposed t have two skeet and two modified chokes. I have the U0 and U1 which will probably satisfy the requirement for the skeet chokes. I don't have a U2 or U3. Should I get one of each or is one better matched to a typical modified. I'm leaning toward one of each - U2 and U3, but I have no experience with either to make an educated decision.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Browning 725 Field 20 ga
Weatherby Orion SKB 12 ga

Post subject: Re: Which Chokes?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That U1 will break out further than you think, I would get both, but I bet you use the U2 the most.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:34 am 
Crown Grade

Can't go wrong with a U2/U2 combo. More than adequate for 90 % of sporting shots. Anything tighter and you may be handicapping yourself, unless you're Gebben Miles of course.

Last edited by cheecho1960 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

The U2 is a great choke but if your instructor wants you to have a pair of mods there is probably a pretty specific reason for that.

U2 is significantly more open than a traditional mod choke. .012 versus.020. The U3 is typically just a bit tighter than a traditional modified choke. I would be inclined to get a pair of those. Ultimately your call. It’s your time and energy and money going into the lesson you have booked.

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
The U2 is a great choke but if your instructor wants you to have a pair of mods there is probably a pretty specific reason for that.

U2 is significantly more open than a traditional mod choke. .012 versus.020. The U3 is typically just a bit tighter than a traditional modified choke. I would be inclined to get a pair of those. Ultimately your call. It’s your time and energy and money going into the lesson you have booked.

Good advise from dpe2002. If you go with U2 than you might fell under choked on some presentations. Go with U3 and those thoughts should never enter your mind.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:40 pm 
Crown Grade

gdkodiak wrote:
I'm going to a shooting school where I am supposed t have two skeet and two modified chokes. I have the U0 and U1 which will probably satisfy the requirement for the skeet chokes. I don't have a U2 or U3. Should I get one of each or is one better matched to a typical modified. I'm leaning toward one of each - U2 and U3, but I have no experience with either to make an educated decision.

Jimmy Muller here.
It sounds like your instructor might be Gil or Vicki Ash?!

Either way, I would suggest that you buy 2 U2's and the reason is, the U3's are probably tighter than you need, meaning they are for targets past 50 yards.
The U2's are great from 30-50 yards.
You can use the U0 & U1 as your "Skeet" chokes.

To be honest, unless you are a Top AA or MASTER class level shooter, the U3's are only going to handicap you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:36 pm 
Field Grade

Jimmy Muller wrote:
gdkodiak wrote:

Jimmy Muller here.
It sounds like your instructor might be Gil or Vicki Ash?!

Either way, I would suggest that you buy 2 U2's and the reason is, the U3's are probably tighter than you need, meaning they are for targets past 50 yards.
You can use the U0 & U1 as your "Skeet" chokes.

To be honest, unless you are a Top AA or MASTER class level shooter, the U3's are only going to handicap you.

Jimmy you are spot on relative to the instructor! I appreciate everyone's input and will go with the pair of U2s.

Thanks again.

Browning 725 Field 20 ga
Weatherby Orion SKB 12 ga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Jimmy Muller wrote:
gdkodiak wrote:

Hmmmmmm........Sounds familiar.... :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One of the best combos is the U1/U2 on most courses.

Use 8 shot for anything out to 35 yards and 7.5 shot for anything longer.

U3's will be to tight for most shooters.

Most shooters will be shocked how far a U2 with a good fast 7.5 will break targets.

A pair of U3's are the best practice chokes.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA